Hard disk copying/cloning

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi. I've got a laptop with a hard disk that I need to clone to another
(although smaller) hard disk. I need to do this via CDRWs because I can't
daisy chain the disks.

Is there an easy and cheap way to do this? I'm only likely to do it once so
don't wish to purchase expensive backup tools.

I appreciate any help you can give.

Neil

Neil <n.hall@nospam.virgin.net> typed:
> I've got a laptop with a hard disk that I need to clone to
> another (although smaller) hard disk. I need to do this via
> CDRWs because I can't daisy chain the disks.
>
> Is there an easy and cheap way to do this? I'm only likely
> to do it once so don't wish to purchase expensive backup
> tools.

With such vague information, it's hard to say. What brand of laptop?
(There are specific issues with Thinkpads.) How big are the source and
target HDDs? What's the partition layout (sizes and formats)? How full are
the partitions? What OS? (I'm assuming some Win2K version, but can we
assume it's not 2K Server?) Are there hidden OEM partitions that have to be
dealt with? Are you saying there's a CD burner on the laptop? Does the
laptop have a floppy drive? Can the laptop boot from a USB drive or flash
disk? Does the laptop have a LAN connection?

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi

Sorry for the lack of info.

It's a Dell Latitude c810. The source disk is 10Gb in a single partition
with about 3.8 Gb of data and OS files (although I could take some apps off
to reduce this). I'm not sure about hidden OEM partitions. OS is Win 2k
Professional. The laptop has a CD burner a floppy disk drive and a lan
connection but can't be booted (as far as I'm aware) from USB drive or flash
disk.

Target disk is 6Gb.

I have a desktop on a network with plenty of spare hard disk space if this
can be used in any way to hold backup files temporarily.

Appreciate your time and help.

Neil

"dg1261" <dgREMOVE-THIS1261@cs.com> wrote in message
> Neil <n.hall@nospam.virgin.net> typed:
>> I've got a laptop with a hard disk that I need to clone to
>> another (although smaller) hard disk. I need to do this via
>> CDRWs because I can't daisy chain the disks.
>>
>> Is there an easy and cheap way to do this? I'm only likely
>> to do it once so don't wish to purchase expensive backup
>> tools.
>
> With such vague information, it's hard to say. What brand of laptop?
> (There are specific issues with Thinkpads.) How big are the source and
> target HDDs? What's the partition layout (sizes and formats)? How full
> are
> the partitions? What OS? (I'm assuming some Win2K version, but can we
> assume it's not 2K Server?) Are there hidden OEM partitions that have to
> be
> dealt with? Are you saying there's a CD burner on the laptop? Does the
> laptop have a floppy drive? Can the laptop boot from a USB drive or flash
> disk? Does the laptop have a LAN connection?

TRENDING THREADS