Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Looking for Build advice

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 7:46:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

OK. with the cape and SSTA slot missions done with, I now have time to
consider a respec of my powers. I know of at least one power swap that
isn't going to change anything (teleport foe swapped out for Teleport
Friend), but does anyone else here have any suggestions.

Here is my build so far
Slot[01] Level 1 (Starting Primary) : Twilight Grasp /Empty
Slot[02] Level 1 (Starting Secondary) : Dark Blast /Empty
Slot[03] Level 2 : Tar Patch /Empty
Slot[04] Level 4 : Gloom /Empty
Slot[05] Level 6 : Howling Twilight /Empty
Slot[06] Level 8 : Shadow Fall /Empty
Slot[07] Level 10 : Darkest Night /Empty
Slot[08] Level 12 : Teleport Foe /Empty
Slot[09] Level 14 : Teleport /Empty
Slot[10] Level 16 : Swift /Empty
Slot[11] Level 18 : Health /Empty
Slot[12] Level 20 : Stamina /Empty

And here is what I am planninng on building towards in the future.

Slot[01] Level 1 (Starting Primary) : Twilight Grasp /Empty
Slot[02] Level 1 (Starting Secondary) : Dark Blast /Empty
Slot[03] Level 2 : Tar Patch /Empty
Slot[04] Level 4 : Gloom /Empty
Slot[05] Level 6 : Howling Twilight /Empty
Slot[06] Level 8 : Shadow Fall /Empty
Slot[07] Level 10 : Darkest Night /Empty
Slot[08] Level 12 : Recall Friend /Empty
Slot[09] Level 14 : Teleport /Empty
Slot[10] Level 16 : Swift /Empty
Slot[11] Level 18 : Health /Empty
Slot[12] Level 20 : Stamina /Empty
Slot[13] Level 22 : Tenebrous Tentacles /Empty
Slot[14] Level 24 : Fearsome Stare /Empty
Slot[15] Level 26 : Petrifying Gaze /Empty
Slot[16] Level 28 : Combat Jumping /Empty
Slot[17] Level 30 : Super Jump /Empty
Slot[18] Level 32 : Dark Servant /Empty

I still have 4 levels before I can attempt the mission, so it is lots of
time to think. I still have the free respec available, but am not going
to use it unless I absosmurfly have to.

--
Marcel

More about : build advice

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 8:02:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

Well, there are two or three powers I've found beneficial in my L40
Dark/Dark that I see you don't have in there...of course, you'd have
to drop something to shoehorn them in...but do you really need two
sets of Travel powers anyway?

* Dark Pit -- needs 2x Acc SO to offset the inherent Acc penalty, but
it stacks nicely with Howling Twilight's Disorient effect so that you
can even disorient bosses if you hit with it.

* Nightfall -- Slot this and Tennytents for damage and they're the
best "one-two punch" blast effect you can pack. Large groups of mobs
just melt away.

* Hasten -- With perma-hasten, and pets 5-slotted for recharge (the
way I slot mine, with 1 slot in Acc), you can have 3 pets out
simultaneously as long as you remember to cast them immediately upon
refresh. The usefulness of 3 fluffies in soloing at the higher levels
*cannot be overstated*. My L40 D3 (soon to be a D4 when she hits 41)
can solo Unyielding Rularuu caves with their assistance. Hasten is
also useful with the Tents/Nightfall one-two punch I cited above. I
currently have it taken at level 30, but I may well respec solely to
shove it earlier for those times I exemplar down. Plus, it unlocks
Superspeed for the cost of one more power; I'm told that the stealth
benefits of Superspeed and Shadow Fall stack most conveniently (though
I haven't taken it myself).

I also have Moonbeam instead of Gloom, and Hover/Flight as my
travel power, but that's more a matter of personal choice.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
robotech@eyrie.org | Earn a free iPod and a free monitor or TV set!
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 8:12:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote in
news:slrnd07alq.hbt.robotech@terrania.homelinux.org:

> Well, there are two or three powers I've found beneficial in my L40
> Dark/Dark that I see you don't have in there...of course, you'd have
> to drop something to shoehorn them in...but do you really need two
> sets of Travel powers anyway?

Good point. If I fire in some distance or End Reduction SOs in TP I
probably don't need a second one.

I also took into account your comments, and came up with this build:

Slot[01] Level 1 (Starting Primary) : Twilight Grasp /Empty
Slot[02] Level 1 (Starting Secondary) : Dark Blast /Empty
Slot[03] Level 2 : Tar Patch /Empty
Slot[04] Level 4 : Gloom /Empty
Slot[05] Level 6 : Howling Twilight /Empty
Slot[06] Level 8 : Shadow Fall /Empty
Slot[07] Level 10 : Dark Pit /Empty
Slot[08] Level 12 : Recall Friend /Empty
Slot[09] Level 14 : Teleport /Empty
Slot[10] Level 16 : Swift /Empty
Slot[11] Level 18 : Health /Empty
Slot[12] Level 20 : Stamina /Empty
Slot[13] Level 22 : Hasten /Empty
Slot[14] Level 24 : Night Fall /Empty
Slot[15] Level 26 : Darkest Night /Empty
Slot[16] Level 28 : Tenebrous Tentacles /Empty
Slot[17] Level 30 : Fearsome Stare /Empty
Slot[18] Level 32 : Dark Servant /Empty
Slot[19] Level 35 : Life Drain /Empty


--
Marcel
Related resources
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 11:13:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

On 4 Feb 2005 17:12:13 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
<mbeauINVALID@sympaINVALIDtico.ca> wrote:

> Good point. If I fire in some distance or End Reduction SOs in TP I
> probably don't need a second one.
>
> I also took into account your comments, and came up with this build:

> Slot[01] Level 1 (Starting Primary) : Twilight Grasp /Empty
> Slot[02] Level 1 (Starting Secondary) : Dark Blast /Empty
> Slot[03] Level 2 : Tar Patch /Empty
> Slot[04] Level 4 : Gloom /Empty
> Slot[05] Level 6 : Howling Twilight /Empty
> Slot[06] Level 8 : Shadow Fall /Empty
> Slot[07] Level 10 : Dark Pit /Empty
> Slot[08] Level 12 : Recall Friend /Empty
> Slot[09] Level 14 : Teleport /Empty
> Slot[10] Level 16 : Swift /Empty
> Slot[11] Level 18 : Health /Empty
> Slot[12] Level 20 : Stamina /Empty
> Slot[13] Level 22 : Hasten /Empty
> Slot[14] Level 24 : Night Fall /Empty
> Slot[15] Level 26 : Darkest Night /Empty
> Slot[16] Level 28 : Tenebrous Tentacles /Empty
> Slot[17] Level 30 : Fearsome Stare /Empty
> Slot[18] Level 32 : Dark Servant /Empty
> Slot[19] Level 35 : Life Drain /Empty

Getting better. I think you've got Hasten, Night Fall, and Tennytents
a bit later in the build than you really ought to--and Darkest Night a
*lot* later than should be--but then, needing to get Fitness ASAP
doesn't give you a lot of wiggle room.

Regardless of what else you do, Darkest Night is a power you should
take as soon as you can after it's first available because it's one of
the Dark Miasma Defender's major defining and most useful powers,
along with Shadow Fall. I'd suggest swapping it for Dark Pit, then
swap Pit for Nightfall and Nightfall for TennyTents so you're going 10
Darkest Night, 24 Tents, 26 Nightfall, 28 Dark Pit.

Also, from what I've heard, Life Drain is really just a weaker version
of Twilight Grasp and should only be taken if your primary is some
other Defender class such as FF or Storm that doesn't have a good
self-heal. Twilight Grasp makes it totally redundant, so use the slot
for something else instead.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
robotech@eyrie.org | Earn a free iPod and a free monitor or TV set!
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 11:37:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote in
news:slrnd07lqo.hbt.robotech@terrania.homelinux.org:

> Getting better. I think you've got Hasten, Night Fall, and Tennytents
> a bit later in the build than you really ought to--and Darkest Night a
> *lot* later than should be--but then, needing to get Fitness ASAP
> doesn't give you a lot of wiggle room.

I know. I hit 20 a couple of nights ago and got Stamina, and still find
myself chewing blue insps a lot. Granted, I fire off my attacks more than I
should right now...

> Regardless of what else you do, Darkest Night is a power you should
> take as soon as you can after it's first available because it's one of
> the Dark Miasma Defender's major defining and most useful powers,
> along with Shadow Fall. I'd suggest swapping it for Dark Pit, then
> swap Pit for Nightfall and Nightfall for TennyTents so you're going 10
> Darkest Night, 24 Tents, 26 Nightfall, 28 Dark Pit.

Right now I am not much of a fan of DN. To me (and keep in mind I am only
L20) it doesn't seem to be all that useful. There are a number of possible
reasons for that (moronic pick-up teams that don't understand "Don't kill
the anchor", poor slotting or just not the right enhancements in there)
Once I do get it (might switch it around to get it at 24 instead of 26) it
will be getting slots left and right.

> Also, from what I've heard, Life Drain is really just a weaker version
> of Twilight Grasp and should only be taken if your primary is some
> other Defender class such as FF or Storm that doesn't have a good
> self-heal. Twilight Grasp makes it totally redundant, so use the slot
> for something else instead.

Ahhh. Thanks. It will be quite a while until I get to that level (it took
me 2 months to get to 20), so things will probably change by then.



--
Marcel
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 4:08:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

On 4 Feb 2005 20:37:21 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
<mbeauINVALID@sympaINVALIDtico.ca> wrote:

> Right now I am not much of a fan of DN. To me (and keep in mind I
> am only L20) it doesn't seem to be all that useful. There are a
> number of possible reasons for that (moronic pick-up teams that
> don't understand "Don't kill the anchor", poor slotting or just not
> the right enhancements in there) Once I do get it (might switch it
> around to get it at 24 instead of 26) it will be getting slots left
> and right.

I'd suggest duping over to the test server, using the free respec
there to slap it in, and trying it out--get some practice with using
it. I find DN (six-slotted with Acc Debuff) to be *incredibly*
useful, though often the usefulness is in inverse proportion to the
number of people on the team (more people = more likely to kill the
anchor, and more likely to kill stuff fast enough not to need it
used).

I've also bound a key to "team $target is my debuff anchor, please
leave it for last!$$powexecname Darkest Night" and it seems to help
when I use it.

It's more useful when you've got SOs in it (6 SO = 99% Acc Debuff)
than trainings or DOs, of course, but even six DOs amounts to a total
66% Accuracy debuff, which is nothing to sneeze at. Combine this with
the defense bonus from Shadow Fall and you're one of the safest
soloing classes there is. Slow, but safe.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
robotech@eyrie.org | Earn a free iPod and a free monitor or TV set!
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 5:56:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote in
news:slrnd0873k.hbt.robotech@terrania.homelinux.org:

> On 4 Feb 2005 20:37:21 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
> <mbeauINVALID@sympaINVALIDtico.ca> wrote:
>
>> Right now I am not much of a fan of DN. To me (and keep in mind I
>> am only L20) it doesn't seem to be all that useful. There are a
>> number of possible reasons for that (moronic pick-up teams that
>> don't understand "Don't kill the anchor", poor slotting or just not
>> the right enhancements in there) Once I do get it (might switch it
>> around to get it at 24 instead of 26) it will be getting slots left
>> and right.
>
> I'd suggest duping over to the test server, using the free respec
> there to slap it in, and trying it out--get some practice with using
> it. I find DN (six-slotted with Acc Debuff) to be *incredibly*
> useful, though often the usefulness is in inverse proportion to the
> number of people on the team (more people = more likely to kill the
> anchor, and more likely to kill stuff fast enough not to need it
> used).
>
> I've also bound a key to "team $target is my debuff anchor, please
> leave it for last!$$powexecname Darkest Night" and it seems to help
> when I use it.
>
> It's more useful when you've got SOs in it (6 SO = 99% Acc Debuff)
> than trainings or DOs, of course, but even six DOs amounts to a total
> 66% Accuracy debuff, which is nothing to sneeze at. Combine this with
> the defense bonus from Shadow Fall and you're one of the safest
> soloing classes there is. Slow, but safe.

In the process of doing that now (test server). From your description, it
looks like it is a mix of slotting, enhancements, and not being at a
level where the difference is noticeable.

So I think that I will take your advice for the build (for now). The end
result is that it is not worth mywhile to use my free respec, as the only
difference will be to change TP Foe for Recall Friend, and that isn't
that dramatic a change that I can't live with it for the next 4 levels or
so.

Thanks for your help.

--
Marcel
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 7:21:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

On 5 Feb 2005 02:56:43 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> So I think that I will take your advice for the build (for now). The end
> result is that it is not worth mywhile to use my free respec, as the only
> difference will be to change TP Foe for Recall Friend, and that isn't
> that dramatic a change that I can't live with it for the next 4 levels or
> so.

What server do you play on? If Victory, I'd be happy to meet you with
my own DDD there, and show off a bit, demonstrate the effectiveness of
the power--or on Test if not Victory.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
robotech@eyrie.org | Earn a free iPod and a free monitor or TV set!
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 5:12:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote in
news:slrnd08ie6.hbt.robotech@terrania.homelinux.org:

> On 5 Feb 2005 02:56:43 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> So I think that I will take your advice for the build (for now). The
>> end result is that it is not worth mywhile to use my free respec, as
>> the only difference will be to change TP Foe for Recall Friend, and
>> that isn't that dramatic a change that I can't live with it for the
>> next 4 levels or so.
>
> What server do you play on? If Victory, I'd be happy to meet you with
> my own DDD there, and show off a bit, demonstrate the effectiveness of
> the power--or on Test if not Victory.

I play on Infinity, although am running around on Test a bit for the moment
trying out DN and differences in slotting my powers. I am looking at
reducing the slotting in Gloom and Dark Blast, and increasing in TG, DN and
Shadowfall. To try top get away from the offender side of things and
getting to the defender side...
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 6:03:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

On 5 Feb 2005 14:12:42 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> I play on Infinity, although am running around on Test a bit for
> the moment trying out DN and differences in slotting my powers. I
> am looking at reducing the slotting in Gloom and Dark Blast, and
> increasing in TG, DN and Shadowfall. To try top get away from the
> offender side of things and getting to the defender side...

What's the name of your D3? Mine's Hera Panthera, my global chat ID
is Purramedic. I'll dupe her over right now.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
robotech@eyrie.org | Earn a free iPod and a free monitor or TV set!
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 6:07:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

On 5 Feb 2005 14:12:42 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> I play on Infinity, although am running around on Test a bit for
> the moment trying out DN and differences in slotting my powers. I
> am looking at reducing the slotting in Gloom and Dark Blast, and
> increasing in TG, DN and Shadowfall. To try top get away from the
> offender side of things and getting to the defender side...

I tried emailing you my IM contact info, to get in touch with me when
you're around on Test, but I'm not sure that email address you use is
real. So email me and I'll let you know how to tell me how to find
you when you're around, 'kay?

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
robotech@eyrie.org | Earn a free iPod and a free monitor or TV set!
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 1:40:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote in
news:slrnd09o9a.nl3.robotech@terrania.homelinux.org:

> I tried emailing you my IM contact info, to get in touch with me when
> you're around on Test, but I'm not sure that email address you use is
> real. So email me and I'll let you know how to tell me how to find
> you when you're around, 'kay?

I just e-mailed you my contact info...

Simian Beyond (or Simian Beyond 2, or 3, ...)

I am not sure what my global chat ID would be.

Either Marsbar or Simian Beyond, possibly Cocottus
!