Power On Issue

mcaren

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
What does it mean when you turn your computer on with the front power button and it starts up for a few seconds (fans & lights on) then stops? The second time I hit the button it starts and stays on -- boots into Windows XP normally. I always have to press the front power button twice.

Intel DG965WH LGA 775 G965 Express ATX Motherboard
Intel Pentium D 820 Smithfield 2.8GHz LGA 775
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 Case

mcaren

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
ecwhite556: I saw this post in a recent Newegg review of the DG965WH --

I switched to the same (older) version of BIOS that he's using after someone reported that they had experienced fewer Windows XP BSODs with it -- I've had fewer also, but I'm definitely still getting them. All of my crashes seen to occur when installing or downloading (updates or installs) -- not that that necessarily has anything to do with the power issue -- just wanted to mention that in case you're having any similar problems... mcaren

Pros: In addition to my 1st review on 1/12/07, this board has been rock stable. Not one single hiccup or crash has occurred.

Cons: However, I did find a DANGEROUS bug w/the BIOS: as long as you're in the BIOS menu, the CPU temperature rises like crazy(about 2 degrees per minute)! As if something is torturing the CPU. At first I thought it was a software glitch w/the hardware monitor, but the heat sink WAS getting hotter by the minute when I touched it. I really wanted to see what would finally happen but wouldn't dare to damage my core2duo, so I quickly exited the BIOS & booted into windows, that's when the CPU started to cool down. I tried different versions of the BIOS @ intel's website & found all of them have this issue! Especially the newest one(1649), which still didn't fix the problem & has a new bug, you gotta press the power button twice to turn the system on 'cause the BIOS shuts the system down the 1st time you turn it on!

Other Thoughts: I found the 1618 BIOS to be the least "bugged" version(still has the temperature issue though). While this problem doesn't affect normal usage, it can be annoying or dangerous when tweaking the BIOS. Still a good board though, but I'm not buy another intel mobo.