Help with Hitatchi 57S500

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
September 8, 2004 12:46:02 AM

I have a Hitachi 57S500 and I am subscribed to cable one digital.
They have recently started airing ESPN in high definition but when i
change to that channel it says on the screen "VIDEO -1 480P". I
thought that espn-hd broadcast was supposed to be in 720P. I have a
Motorola High defintion reciever, and can't find any settings in the
box to set it on a higher level. 480 looks good and all but i know it
can look better with 720. Is there any settings that someone can help
me with to get this resolved? Thanks in advance.

Ricky
rwebster@btmsolutions.com

More about : hitatchi 57s500

Anonymous
September 8, 2004 5:34:01 PM

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 20:46:02 -0700, ricky wrote:

> I have a Hitachi 57S500 and I am subscribed to cable one digital.
> They have recently started airing ESPN in high definition but when i
> change to that channel it says on the screen "VIDEO -1 480P". I
> thought that espn-hd broadcast was supposed to be in 720P. I have a
> Motorola High defintion reciever, and can't find any settings in the
> box to set it on a higher level. 480 looks good and all but i know it
> can look better with 720. Is there any settings that someone can help
> me with to get this resolved? Thanks in advance.
>
> Ricky
> rwebster@btmsolutions.com

Are you able to get any channels in HD? Perhaps your STB is downconverting
to 480p? Is the channel you are seeing actually ESPN-HD? Does it have the
HD logo in the sidebars?

I think the only settings on the 57S500 are whether to scale to 1080i or
540i for 480i broadcasts.
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 11:15:47 PM

The Hitachi converts every non-HD input to either 540p or 1080i (Virtual HD
control). For HD receiver output through either the DVI or component input,
there is no conversion. If your HD receiver box is limiting the input to
480p, that's what you see. The cable company makes the determination. I
would check with them to see if 480p is what they are distributing.
"ricky" <rwebster@btmsolutions.com> wrote in message
> I have a Hitachi 57S500 and I am subscribed to cable one digital.
> They have recently started airing ESPN in high definition but when i
> change to that channel it says on the screen "VIDEO -1 480P". I
> thought that espn-hd broadcast was supposed to be in 720P. I have a
> Motorola High defintion reciever, and can't find any settings in the
> box to set it on a higher level. 480 looks good and all but i know it
> can look better with 720. Is there any settings that someone can help
> me with to get this resolved? Thanks in advance.
>
> Ricky
> rwebster@btmsolutions.com
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 12:24:35 PM

"ricky" <rwebster@btmsolutions.com> wrote in message
>I have a Hitachi 57S500 and I am subscribed to cable one digital.
> They have recently started airing ESPN in high definition but when i
> change to that channel it says on the screen "VIDEO -1 480P". I
> thought that espn-hd broadcast was supposed to be in 720P. I have a
> Motorola High defintion reciever, and can't find any settings in the
> box to set it on a higher level. 480 looks good and all but i know it
> can look better with 720. Is there any settings that someone can help
> me with to get this resolved? Thanks in advance.
>
> Ricky
> rwebster@btmsolutions.com

If the Motorola box is a DCT 5100, you need to get into the settings menu.
Turn off the box and hit the "Menu" button on the remote control. That
should bring up a white screen with settings in black text. There you can
set the default outputs of the box for 1080i on HD and 480i for non-HD.
That's the settings I have found work best with my 65S500 set.
September 9, 2004 3:28:49 PM

"tcassette" <tcassette1@cox.net> wrote in message news:<TgN%c.43271$wu.11961@okepread04>...
> The Hitachi converts every non-HD input to either 540p or 1080i (Virtual HD
> control). For HD receiver output through either the DVI or component input,
> there is no conversion. If your HD receiver box is limiting the input to
> 480p, that's what you see. The cable company makes the determination. I
> would check with them to see if 480p is what they are distributing.
> "ricky" <rwebster@btmsolutions.com> wrote in message
> > I have a Hitachi 57S500 and I am subscribed to cable one digital.
> > They have recently started airing ESPN in high definition but when i
> > change to that channel it says on the screen "VIDEO -1 480P". I
> > thought that espn-hd broadcast was supposed to be in 720P. I have a
> > Motorola High defintion reciever, and can't find any settings in the
> > box to set it on a higher level. 480 looks good and all but i know it
> > can look better with 720. Is there any settings that someone can help
> > me with to get this resolved? Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Ricky
> > rwebster@btmsolutions.com

Well i broke down and read the instruction manual on my set top box.
And Found you have to turn the power off on the box and then hit the
menu button and you can configure the ouput. Sure enough it was on
480p. Changed that setting to 1080i and all was well. Except one
thing. In ESPN HD i have grey bars on the left and right side of the
screen. Except the very bottom where the scores go across the bottom,
that goes all the way across. How frustrating. And ideas on that?
I'm gonna keep looking.

Ricky
September 9, 2004 10:02:07 PM

"Mike Rush" <miker@avenuenospamcable.com> wrote in message news:<sC_%c.1586$KQ1.8776@eagle.america.net>...
> "ricky" <rwebster@btmsolutions.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Hitachi 57S500 and I am subscribed to cable one digital.
> > They have recently started airing ESPN in high definition but when i
> > change to that channel it says on the screen "VIDEO -1 480P". I
> > thought that espn-hd broadcast was supposed to be in 720P. I have a
> > Motorola High defintion reciever, and can't find any settings in the
> > box to set it on a higher level. 480 looks good and all but i know it
> > can look better with 720. Is there any settings that someone can help
> > me with to get this resolved? Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Ricky
> > rwebster@btmsolutions.com
>
> If the Motorola box is a DCT 5100, you need to get into the settings menu.
> Turn off the box and hit the "Menu" button on the remote control. That
> should bring up a white screen with settings in black text. There you can
> set the default outputs of the box for 1080i on HD and 480i for non-HD.
> That's the settings I have found work best with my 65S500 set.

Does your espn hd have grey bars on the side? I just noticed that
those gray bars say HD...... Why doesn't it show the broadcast on thw
whole screen. Is this a espn issue or a cable issue? Or is this not
an issue at all, and the way it is intended? This is the first hd
channel offered by cable one w/ out a extra fee and so far i'm
dissapointed b/c of those gray bars. aaaaaahhhhh..

Ricky
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 10:02:58 PM

I believe that is what ESPN HD is broadcasting - a 480i picture in a HD
frame. When they broadcast an HD picture, it will fill the HD frame.
Nothing you can do on your side.

ricky wrote:
> thing. In ESPN HD i have grey bars on the left and right side of the
> screen. Except the very bottom where the scores go across the bottom,
> that goes all the way across. How frustrating. And ideas on that?
> I'm gonna keep looking.
>
> Ricky
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 1:23:18 PM

> "Mike Rush" <miker@avenuenospamcable.com> wrote in message
>> Turn off the box and hit the "Menu" button on the remote control. That
>> should bring up a white screen with settings in black text. There you can
>> set the default outputs of the box for 1080i on HD and 480i for non-HD.
>> That's the settings I have found work best with my 65S500 set.
>
> Does your espn hd have grey bars on the side? I just noticed that
> those gray bars say HD...... Why doesn't it show the broadcast on thw
> whole screen. Is this a espn issue or a cable issue? Or is this not
> an issue at all, and the way it is intended? This is the first hd
> channel offered by cable one w/ out a extra fee and so far i'm
> dissapointed b/c of those gray bars. aaaaaahhhhh..
>
> Ricky

Those gray bars are part of the signal from ESPN. When they are showing 4 x
3 programs, they add the gray bars to the sides. When they show an HD
program it is full 16 x 9. You'll notice other channels do similar things.
For example, most of the off-air HD channels around here use black bars on
the sides of 4 x 3 stuff, but KABC stretches their 4 x 3 programs so that
the black bars are much smaller and everyone looks slightly fat. KCET, the
local PBS, rarely has 4 x 3 programs, but when they do, they use constantly
changing colored bars on the sides. The gray bars and colored bars are an
attempt to help the viewers reduce the risk of burning in the side bars on
their TV's.
September 11, 2004 11:03:19 AM

"Mike Rush" <miker@avenuenospamcable.com> wrote in message news:<uzk0d.1618$KQ1.9902@eagle.america.net>...
> "ricky" <rwebster@btmsolutions.com> wrote in message
> > "Mike Rush" <miker@avenuenospamcable.com> wrote in message
> >> Turn off the box and hit the "Menu" button on the remote control. That
> >> should bring up a white screen with settings in black text. There you can
> >> set the default outputs of the box for 1080i on HD and 480i for non-HD.
> >> That's the settings I have found work best with my 65S500 set.
> >
> > Does your espn hd have grey bars on the side? I just noticed that
> > those gray bars say HD...... Why doesn't it show the broadcast on thw
> > whole screen. Is this a espn issue or a cable issue? Or is this not
> > an issue at all, and the way it is intended? This is the first hd
> > channel offered by cable one w/ out a extra fee and so far i'm
> > dissapointed b/c of those gray bars. aaaaaahhhhh..
> >
> > Ricky
>
> Those gray bars are part of the signal from ESPN. When they are showing 4 x
> 3 programs, they add the gray bars to the sides. When they show an HD
> program it is full 16 x 9. You'll notice other channels do similar things.
> For example, most of the off-air HD channels around here use black bars on
> the sides of 4 x 3 stuff, but KABC stretches their 4 x 3 programs so that
> the black bars are much smaller and everyone looks slightly fat. KCET, the
> local PBS, rarely has 4 x 3 programs, but when they do, they use constantly
> changing colored bars on the sides. The gray bars and colored bars are an
> attempt to help the viewers reduce the risk of burning in the side bars on
> their TV's.

Thanks for your help. That makes much more sense now. I am watching
sportscenter now and those grey bars are coming and going depending on
if they are showing highlights or if they people in the sportscenter
studio are talking. Once again thanks a ton!

Ricky
!