Bootable USB Device

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi

How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot up Windows XP in DOS
mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.

regards
Morten

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

"mha" wrote:

> Hi
>
> How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot up Windows XP in DOS
> mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.
>
> regards
> Morten
>

> I found this excerpt on another site:

"The USB must have a boot sector, so copying files to it is not enough and
regular format/image tools simply do it incorrectly and give it jacked up
boot sectors. The HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool is the only thing I've come
across that works on every USB every time (not just HP stuff, everything,
even my canon camera).
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html"

I haven't tested it yet but it sounds convincing!

"mha" <na@na.na> wrote
> Hi
>
> How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot up Windows XP in DOS
> mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.
>
> regards
> Morten

From a Windows 9x machine or virtual session you can run the sys command on
it.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

You can't as Windows XP doesn't have any DOS mode. You "can" boot up from a
genuine Windows XP CD and go to the repair console, which will allow you to
do a limited amount of maneuvers.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot up Windows XP in DOS
> mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.
>
> regards
> Morten

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Nice, but it is asking for the DOS system files location?

"dandi360" <dandi360@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "mha" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot up Windows XP in
>> DOS
>> mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.
>>
>> regards
>> Morten
>>

>> I found this excerpt on another site:
>
> "The USB must have a boot sector, so copying files to it is not enough and
> regular format/image tools simply do it incorrectly and give it jacked up
> boot sectors. The HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool is the only thing I've
> come
> across that works on every USB every time (not just HP stuff, everything,
> even my canon camera).
> http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html"
>
> I haven't tested it yet but it sounds convincing!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

If you want the functional equivalent of a boot disk, with the ability to
read/write on NTFS partitions, try making a Bart's bootable CD. Link to
Bart's PE builder:

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Bart's is much better than the XP recovery console.

"mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot up Windows XP in DOS
> mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.
>
> regards
> Morten

GeoffW

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

win98 boot disk ?

"mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
> Nice, but it is asking for the DOS system files location?
>

> "dandi360" <dandi360@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message

> > "mha" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot
up Windows XP in
> >> DOS
> >> mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.
> >>
> >> regards
> >> Morten
> >>

> >> I found this excerpt on another site:
> >
> > "The USB must have a boot sector, so copying files to it
is not enough and
> > regular format/image tools simply do it incorrectly and
give it jacked up
> > boot sectors. The HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool is the
only thing I've
> > come
> > across that works on every USB every time (not just HP
stuff, everything,
> > even my canon camera).

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html"

> > I haven't tested it yet but it sounds convincing!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I am running the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool from my Windows XP, and I
get the following message when I want to create a DOS startup disk :
"Missing location of DOS system files. DOS system files need to be provided
to make the specified device DOS-bootable"

"Geoffw" <gwinnetSPAM@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> win98 boot disk ?
>
> "mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
>> Nice, but it is asking for the DOS system files location?
>>

>> "dandi360" <dandi360@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message

> up Windows XP in

>> > "The USB must have a boot sector, so copying files to it
> is not enough and
>> > regular format/image tools simply do it incorrectly and
> give it jacked up
>> > boot sectors. The HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool is the
> only thing I've
>> > come
>> > across that works on every USB every time (not just HP
> stuff, everything,
>> > even my canon camera).
>> >
> http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html"
>> >
>> > I haven't tested it yet but it sounds convincing!

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

If you have a floppy drive, get a diskette and format it in XP Explorer and
don't forget to check "Create an MS-DOS startup diskette".
Now when running the HP format utility point it to this floppy for MS-DOS
files.
Works a treat.
Just tried it.

george

"mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
>I am running the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool from my Windows XP, and I
>get the following message when I want to create a DOS startup disk :
>"Missing location of DOS system files. DOS system files need to be provided
>to make the specified device DOS-bootable"
>
> "Geoffw" <gwinnetSPAM@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> win98 boot disk ?
>>
>> "mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
>>> Nice, but it is asking for the DOS system files location?
>>>

>>> "dandi360" <dandi360@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message

>> up Windows XP in

>> is not enough and
>> give it jacked up
>> only thing I've
>> stuff, everything,
>>> >
>> http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html"

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

If you have a floppy drive then pop a Windows 98 Start-up disc into it and
point to a: when asked for the location of the DOS system files. You can
acquire an image of a Windows 98 Start-up floppy from here www.bootdisk.com
if you don't have one.

If you have no floppy drive then try this
http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/vfd.html#top to create a virtual
floppy drive that you can load an image of a Dos floppy into. You can get a
floppy image from http://www.webtree.ca/newlife/downloads/Windows98.exe Run
the file and uncheck the option to Write to floppy (if you have no floppy
drive) select the option to Write Image and browse to a location to create
the image. The file will be a .IMZ file (or an image) of an enhanced Windows
98 Start-up file You can load the .IMZ into the virtual floppy and point to
it when prompted for "DOS system files" during the running the HP USB Disk
Storage Format Tool.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> If you have a floppy drive, get a diskette and format it
> in XP Explorer and don't forget to check "Create an MS-DOS
> startup diskette".
> Now when running the HP format utility point it to this
> floppy for MS-DOS files.
> Works a treat.
> Just tried it.

Will this method allow you to access a hard disk that's
formatted NTFS after you've booted from the USB device?

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

"Opinicus" <gezgin@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
>> If you have a floppy drive, get a diskette and format it in XP Explorer
>> and don't forget to check "Create an MS-DOS startup diskette".
>> Now when running the HP format utility point it to this floppy for MS-DOS
>> files.
>> Works a treat.
>> Just tried it.
>
> Will this method allow you to access a hard disk that's formatted NTFS
> after you've booted from the USB device?

Not really no, you'd need to run some other tool that lets you look at NTFS
volumes from a FAT16/32 OS.

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"[-=Dan=-]" <getbent@ease.com> wrote in message
> "Opinicus" <gezgin@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>> "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>
>>> If you have a floppy drive, get a diskette and format it in XP Explorer
>>> and don't forget to check "Create an MS-DOS startup diskette".
>>> Now when running the HP format utility point it to this floppy for
>>> MS-DOS files.
>>> Works a treat.
>>> Just tried it.
>>
>> Will this method allow you to access a hard disk that's formatted NTFS
>> after you've booted from the USB device?
>>

> Not really no, you'd need to run some other tool that lets you look at
> NTFS volumes from a FAT16/32 OS.

Like (for read-only) the free NTFS for Windows 98
(http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfswin98.shtml)

george

GeoffW

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

get them off a win98 boot disk

"mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
> I am running the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool from my
Windows XP, and I
> get the following message when I want to create a DOS
startup disk :
> "Missing location of DOS system files. DOS system files
need to be provided
> to make the specified device DOS-bootable"
>
> "Geoffw" <gwinnetSPAM@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> > win98 boot disk ?
> >
> > "mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
> >> Nice, but it is asking for the DOS system files
location?

> >> "dandi360" <dandi360@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in
> > message

boot
> > up Windows XP in
days.

> > is not enough and
and
> > give it jacked up
the
> > only thing I've
HP
> > stuff, everything,

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html"

bar

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Windows XP doesn't have a DOS mode.

If you wnat to bring it up in safe mode, press F8 after POST and Before Xp
starts loading. You get startup options.

If you want to get to a command prompt and have a faulty Xp installation
boot off the XP CD. You get recovery mode, installation or other options.

If it is really DOS that you want, use an old 98 startup floppy!

If you don't have a floppy, then USB devices will prove not to be Bootable
as most PC BIOS cannot load specifc driver files for the multitude of USB
peripherals - floppy, CD, HDD, Memory Stick, Camera, Copier /
Printer......the list goes on. How would one manage to get all this info
onto a simple EEPROM. One would not need an operating system, it could all
be resident in BIOS - then it wouldn't be call Basic Input/Output System
would it?

"mha" wrote:

> Hi
>
> How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot up Windows XP in DOS
> mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.
>
> regards
> Morten

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

[snip]
> If you don't have a floppy, then USB devices will prove not to be Bootable
> as most PC BIOS cannot load specifc driver files for the multitude of USB
> peripherals - floppy, CD, HDD, Memory Stick, Camera, Copier /
> Printer......the list goes on. How would one manage to get all this info
> onto a simple EEPROM. One would not need an operating system, it could
all
> be resident in BIOS - then it wouldn't be call Basic Input/Output System
> would it?
>
> "mha" wrote:

What are you talking about? Many BIOS will enable you to boot a USB device.
I have a cheapo ECS board and it does it just fine.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp