Bootable USB Device

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi

How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot up Windows XP in DOS
mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.

regards
Morten
15 answers Last reply
More about bootable device
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "mha" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot up Windows XP in DOS
    > mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.
    >
    > regards
    > Morten
    >

    > I found this excerpt on another site:

    "The USB must have a boot sector, so copying files to it is not enough and
    regular format/image tools simply do it incorrectly and give it jacked up
    boot sectors. The HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool is the only thing I've come
    across that works on every USB every time (not just HP stuff, everything,
    even my canon camera).
    http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html"

    I haven't tested it yet but it sounds convincing!
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "mha" <na@na.na> wrote
    > Hi
    >
    > How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot up Windows XP in DOS
    > mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.
    >
    > regards
    > Morten

    From a Windows 9x machine or virtual session you can run the sys command on
    it.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    You can't as Windows XP doesn't have any DOS mode. You "can" boot up from a
    genuine Windows XP CD and go to the repair console, which will allow you to
    do a limited amount of maneuvers.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot up Windows XP in DOS
    > mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.
    >
    > regards
    > Morten

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Nice, but it is asking for the DOS system files location?

    "dandi360" <dandi360@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "mha" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot up Windows XP in
    >> DOS
    >> mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.
    >>
    >> regards
    >> Morten
    >>

    >> I found this excerpt on another site:
    >
    > "The USB must have a boot sector, so copying files to it is not enough and
    > regular format/image tools simply do it incorrectly and give it jacked up
    > boot sectors. The HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool is the only thing I've
    > come
    > across that works on every USB every time (not just HP stuff, everything,
    > even my canon camera).
    > http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html"
    >
    > I haven't tested it yet but it sounds convincing!
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    If you want the functional equivalent of a boot disk, with the ability to
    read/write on NTFS partitions, try making a Bart's bootable CD. Link to
    Bart's PE builder:

    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    Bart's is much better than the XP recovery console.

    "mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot up Windows XP in DOS
    > mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.
    >
    > regards
    > Morten

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    win98 boot disk ?

    "mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
    > Nice, but it is asking for the DOS system files location?
    >

    > "dandi360" <dandi360@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message

    > > "mha" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot
    up Windows XP in
    > >> DOS
    > >> mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.
    > >>
    > >> regards
    > >> Morten
    > >>

    > >> I found this excerpt on another site:
    > >
    > > "The USB must have a boot sector, so copying files to it
    is not enough and
    > > regular format/image tools simply do it incorrectly and
    give it jacked up
    > > boot sectors. The HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool is the
    only thing I've
    > > come
    > > across that works on every USB every time (not just HP
    stuff, everything,
    > > even my canon camera).

    http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html"

    > > I haven't tested it yet but it sounds convincing!

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I am running the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool from my Windows XP, and I
    get the following message when I want to create a DOS startup disk :
    "Missing location of DOS system files. DOS system files need to be provided
    to make the specified device DOS-bootable"

    "Geoffw" <gwinnetSPAM@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > win98 boot disk ?
    >
    > "mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
    >> Nice, but it is asking for the DOS system files location?
    >>

    >> "dandi360" <dandi360@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message

    > up Windows XP in

    >> > "The USB must have a boot sector, so copying files to it
    > is not enough and
    >> > regular format/image tools simply do it incorrectly and
    > give it jacked up
    >> > boot sectors. The HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool is the
    > only thing I've
    >> > come
    >> > across that works on every USB every time (not just HP
    > stuff, everything,
    >> > even my canon camera).
    >> >
    > http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html"
    >> >
    >> > I haven't tested it yet but it sounds convincing!

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    If you have a floppy drive, get a diskette and format it in XP Explorer and
    don't forget to check "Create an MS-DOS startup diskette".
    Now when running the HP format utility point it to this floppy for MS-DOS
    files.
    Works a treat.
    Just tried it.

    george

    "mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
    >I am running the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool from my Windows XP, and I
    >get the following message when I want to create a DOS startup disk :
    >"Missing location of DOS system files. DOS system files need to be provided
    >to make the specified device DOS-bootable"
    >
    > "Geoffw" <gwinnetSPAM@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> win98 boot disk ?
    >>
    >> "mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
    >>> Nice, but it is asking for the DOS system files location?
    >>>

    >>> "dandi360" <dandi360@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message

    >> up Windows XP in

    >> is not enough and
    >> give it jacked up
    >> only thing I've
    >> stuff, everything,
    >>> >
    >> http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html"

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    If you have a floppy drive then pop a Windows 98 Start-up disc into it and
    point to a: when asked for the location of the DOS system files. You can
    acquire an image of a Windows 98 Start-up floppy from here www.bootdisk.com
    if you don't have one.

    If you have no floppy drive then try this
    http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/vfd.html#top to create a virtual
    floppy drive that you can load an image of a Dos floppy into. You can get a
    floppy image from http://www.webtree.ca/newlife/downloads/Windows98.exe Run
    the file and uncheck the option to Write to floppy (if you have no floppy
    drive) select the option to Write Image and browse to a location to create
    the image. The file will be a .IMZ file (or an image) of an enhanced Windows
    98 Start-up file You can load the .IMZ into the virtual floppy and point to
    it when prompted for "DOS system files" during the running the HP USB Disk
    Storage Format Tool.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
    > I am running the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool from my Windows XP, and I
    > get the following message when I want to create a DOS startup disk :
    > "Missing location of DOS system files. DOS system files need to be
    provided
    > to make the specified device DOS-bootable"
    >
    > "Geoffw" <gwinnetSPAM@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > win98 boot disk ?
    > >
    > > "mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
    > >> Nice, but it is asking for the DOS system files location?
    > >>

    > >> "dandi360" <dandi360@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > > message

    > > up Windows XP in

    > > is not enough and
    > > give it jacked up
    > > only thing I've
    > > stuff, everything,
    > >> >
    > > http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html"

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

    > If you have a floppy drive, get a diskette and format it
    > in XP Explorer and don't forget to check "Create an MS-DOS
    > startup diskette".
    > Now when running the HP format utility point it to this
    > floppy for MS-DOS files.
    > Works a treat.
    > Just tried it.

    Will this method allow you to access a hard disk that's
    formatted NTFS after you've booted from the USB device?

    --
    Bob

    Kanyak's Doghouse
    http://www.kanyak.com
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "Opinicus" <gezgin@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    >
    >> If you have a floppy drive, get a diskette and format it in XP Explorer
    >> and don't forget to check "Create an MS-DOS startup diskette".
    >> Now when running the HP format utility point it to this floppy for MS-DOS
    >> files.
    >> Works a treat.
    >> Just tried it.
    >
    > Will this method allow you to access a hard disk that's formatted NTFS
    > after you've booted from the USB device?

    Not really no, you'd need to run some other tool that lets you look at NTFS
    volumes from a FAT16/32 OS.
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "[-=Dan=-]" <getbent@ease.com> wrote in message
    > "Opinicus" <gezgin@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    >> "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    >>
    >>> If you have a floppy drive, get a diskette and format it in XP Explorer
    >>> and don't forget to check "Create an MS-DOS startup diskette".
    >>> Now when running the HP format utility point it to this floppy for
    >>> MS-DOS files.
    >>> Works a treat.
    >>> Just tried it.
    >>
    >> Will this method allow you to access a hard disk that's formatted NTFS
    >> after you've booted from the USB device?
    >>

    > Not really no, you'd need to run some other tool that lets you look at
    > NTFS volumes from a FAT16/32 OS.

    Like (for read-only) the free NTFS for Windows 98
    (http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfswin98.shtml)

    george
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    get them off a win98 boot disk

    "mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
    > I am running the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool from my
    Windows XP, and I
    > get the following message when I want to create a DOS
    startup disk :
    > "Missing location of DOS system files. DOS system files
    need to be provided
    > to make the specified device DOS-bootable"
    >
    > "Geoffw" <gwinnetSPAM@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > win98 boot disk ?
    > >
    > > "mha" <na@na.na> wrote in message
    > >> Nice, but it is asking for the DOS system files
    location?

    > >> "dandi360" <dandi360@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in
    > > message

    > > up Windows XP in
    days.

    > > is not enough and
    > > give it jacked up
    > > only thing I've
    HP
    > > stuff, everything,

    http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html"

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Windows XP doesn't have a DOS mode.

    If you wnat to bring it up in safe mode, press F8 after POST and Before Xp
    starts loading. You get startup options.

    If you want to get to a command prompt and have a faulty Xp installation
    boot off the XP CD. You get recovery mode, installation or other options.

    If it is really DOS that you want, use an old 98 startup floppy!

    If you don't have a floppy, then USB devices will prove not to be Bootable
    as most PC BIOS cannot load specifc driver files for the multitude of USB
    peripherals - floppy, CD, HDD, Memory Stick, Camera, Copier /
    Printer......the list goes on. How would one manage to get all this info
    onto a simple EEPROM. One would not need an operating system, it could all
    be resident in BIOS - then it wouldn't be call Basic Input/Output System
    would it?

    "mha" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > How can I make my USB storage bootable, so I can boot up Windows XP in DOS
    > mode. Such as with a bootable floppy in the old days.
    >
    > regards
    > Morten

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    [snip]
    > If you don't have a floppy, then USB devices will prove not to be Bootable
    > as most PC BIOS cannot load specifc driver files for the multitude of USB
    > peripherals - floppy, CD, HDD, Memory Stick, Camera, Copier /
    > Printer......the list goes on. How would one manage to get all this info
    > onto a simple EEPROM. One would not need an operating system, it could
    all
    > be resident in BIOS - then it wouldn't be call Basic Input/Output System
    > would it?
    >
    > "mha" wrote:

    What are you talking about? Many BIOS will enable you to boot a USB device.
    I have a cheapo ECS board and it does it just fine.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

Bootable Usb Microsoft Devices Windows XP