New Hard--Clean install--Problem

I'm installing a new hard drive (Old one died) and am having troubles
installingW2000 Pro.

I boot up from the w2000 pro CD and it starts the install.

It formats the drive, installs all the files and then prompts me to take the
CD out.

The install then reboots the PC.

Here's where I run into the problem. I get the following error message when
the PC reboots:

"Disk Read Error Occured"
Press ctrl + alt + del to restart.

This is a brand new hard drive. I'm using a authentic w2000 Pro CD.

Where am I going wrong?

ynot
9 answers Last reply
More about hard clean install problem

    HI,
    Are you formatting the drive with Fat32? If yes, try formatting with NTFS.
    You can refer the following article. Though it refers to windows nt, i am not
    surprised if it happens with windows 2k also.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;152517

    Lukesh

    "YNOT" wrote:

    > I'm installing a new hard drive (Old one died) and am having troubles
    > installingW2000 Pro.
    >
    > I boot up from the w2000 pro CD and it starts the install.
    >
    > It formats the drive, installs all the files and then prompts me to take the
    > CD out.
    >
    > The install then reboots the PC.
    >
    > Here's where I run into the problem. I get the following error message when
    > the PC reboots:
    >
    > "Disk Read Error Occured"
    > Press ctrl + alt + del to restart.
    >
    > This is a brand new hard drive. I'm using a authentic w2000 Pro CD.
    >
    > Where am I going wrong?
    >
    > ynot

    You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
    ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
    setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
    inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
    and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
    insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
    controller in drive "A"

    If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
    late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
    resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

    Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message

    .. Then later you'll be prompted to
    > insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
    > controller in drive "A"

    Dave,

    I bought the following hard drive from Dell:

    160GB Caviar Special Edition Internal EIDE Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive
    with 8MB Cache

    It didn't come with a manufacturers disk

    Suggestions?

    Thank you!!

    YNOT

    > "YNOT" wrote:
    > | I'm installing a new hard drive (Old one died) and am having troubles
    > | installingW2000 Pro.
    > |
    > | I boot up from the w2000 pro CD and it starts the install.
    > |
    > | It formats the drive, installs all the files and then prompts me to take
    > the
    > | CD out.
    > |
    > | The install then reboots the PC.
    > |
    > | Here's where I run into the problem. I get the following error message
    > when
    > | the PC reboots:
    > |
    > | "Disk Read Error Occured"
    > | Press ctrl + alt + del to restart.
    > |
    > | This is a brand new hard drive. I'm using a authentic w2000 Pro CD.
    > |
    > | Where am I going wrong?
    > |
    > | ynot

    Dave,

    I downloaded the tool kit from Western Digital...everything is cool!

    Thank you.

    ynot

    "YNOT" <ynot@ynot.com> wrote in message

    > "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    >
    > . Then later you'll be prompted to
    >> insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
    >> controller in drive "A"
    >>
    > Dave,
    >
    > I bought the following hard drive from Dell:
    >
    > 160GB Caviar Special Edition Internal EIDE Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard
    > Drive with 8MB Cache
    >
    > It didn't come with a manufacturers disk
    >
    > Suggestions?
    >
    > Thank you!!
    >
    > YNOT
    >

    >> "YNOT" wrote:
    >> | I'm installing a new hard drive (Old one died) and am having troubles
    >> | installingW2000 Pro.
    >> |
    >> | I boot up from the w2000 pro CD and it starts the install.
    >> |
    >> | It formats the drive, installs all the files and then prompts me to
    >> take
    >> the
    >> | CD out.
    >> |
    >> | The install then reboots the PC.
    >> |
    >> | Here's where I run into the problem. I get the following error message
    >> when
    >> | the PC reboots:
    >> |
    >> | "Disk Read Error Occured"
    >> | Press ctrl + alt + del to restart.
    >> |
    >> | This is a brand new hard drive. I'm using a authentic w2000 Pro CD.
    >> |
    >> | Where am I going wrong?
    >> |
    >> | ynot

    I was wrong...everything is NOT cool.

    Ran the Western Digital utility,
    Drive was formatted to 33 gigs as per WDC.
    Installed Win200 pro, was prompted to remove Win 2000 pro cd & reboot. When
    PC reboots, I get "A disk read error has occured"

    This is driving me crazy!!

    > Dave,
    >
    > I downloaded the tool kit from Western Digital...everything is cool!
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > ynot
    >

    > "YNOT" <ynot@ynot.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> . Then later you'll be prompted to
    >>> insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
    >>> controller in drive "A"
    >>>
    >> Dave,
    >>
    >> I bought the following hard drive from Dell:
    >>
    >> 160GB Caviar Special Edition Internal EIDE Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard
    >> Drive with 8MB Cache
    >>
    >> It didn't come with a manufacturers disk
    >>
    >> Suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thank you!!
    >>
    >> YNOT

    >>> take
    >>> the

    >>> message
    >>> when

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    YNOT wrote:

    > I was wrong...everything is NOT cool.
    >
    > Ran the Western Digital utility,
    > Drive was formatted to 33 gigs as per WDC.
    > Installed Win200 pro, was prompted to remove Win 2000 pro cd & reboot. When
    > PC reboots, I get "A disk read error has occured"
    >
    > This is driving me crazy!!

    What Dell model is involved here? And is the Windows
    2000 cdrom a Microsoft retailed version or a Dell OEM
    version?
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    "Mistoffolees" <mistyfac01@danang.rvn> wrote in message

    > YNOT wrote:
    >
    >> I was wrong...everything is NOT cool.
    >>
    >> Ran the Western Digital utility,
    >> Drive was formatted to 33 gigs as per WDC.
    >> Installed Win200 pro, was prompted to remove Win 2000 pro cd & reboot.
    >> When PC reboots, I get "A disk read error has occured"
    >>
    >> This is driving me crazy!!
    >>

    > What Dell model is involved here? And is the Windows
    > 2000 cdrom a Microsoft retailed version or a Dell OEM
    > version?

    Dell Dimension 8100

    Win2000 Pro is not an OEM version...it is a retail version

    ynot
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Yes, it's the drive controller that you may need a driver for. Did you F6 at
    setup is inspecting your system and give it the dell ata100 driver?

    --

    "YNOT" wrote:

    | Dell Dimension 8100
    |
    | Win2000 Pro is not an OEM version...it is a retail version
    |
    | ynot

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I believe that you will need to slipstream your disk to SP4 in order to
    recognize such a huge drive.
    What does Dell support have to say about this. OEM it is up to them
    to support this issue.

    > I'm installing a new hard drive (Old one died) and am having troubles
    > installingW2000 Pro.
    >
    > I boot up from the w2000 pro CD and it starts the install.
    >
    > It formats the drive, installs all the files and then prompts me to take
    > the CD out.
    >
    > The install then reboots the PC.
    >
    > Here's where I run into the problem. I get the following error message
    > when the PC reboots:
    >
    > "Disk Read Error Occured"
    > Press ctrl + alt + del to restart.
    >
    > This is a brand new hard drive. I'm using a authentic w2000 Pro CD.
    >
    > Where am I going wrong?
    >
    > ynot

Clean Install CD-Rom Hard Drives Windows