Hardisk partition

Hi,

I'm using HP Proliant DL series server.

When I prepare my server, I have this questions

a) should I create single (1) logical drive only = 72GB and then partition
it in Win2K disk management

b) should I create multiple (3) logical drives (c, d, e) within the array
controller

- 1 big logical drive vs 3 logical drives

- am i right to say that the partitions within the array controller is
faster than Win2K partition

- by the way, when i create multiple logical drives, it gives me 1 basic + 2
dynamic volume.

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about hardisk partition

    Hello,

    I am an advocate of establishing RAID Arrays "at the hardware level" in
    your case using the HP Smary Array Controller you must have. This way the
    disk array overhead is managed by the hardware and not your Windows Operating
    system. Plus you paid a large chunk for the Smart Array controler...you may
    as well use it for its intended purpose. I am also taking for granted you
    have at least 3 identical drive that you will use to establish a truly
    functional RAID 5 (striping with parity) disk Array or at least 2
    identical drives to establish a RAID 1 ( Mirrored) disk array.

    After you use your HP NetRaid Utility to set the arrays up....when you go
    into windows you will see essentially 1 big disk....then you will use Windows
    Disk Mgr to define your partitions and drives at this stage you will not
    use this Windows utility to establish/define mirroring or
    striping.......just you boot/system voluem (Drive c:) and any other "data"
    drives

    If you have only one disk....... then you may as well just set it up as a
    plain single disk on the controller and then use Windows disk mgr to
    establish your partitions and drives since you have no real fault
    tolerance(mirrored pair or striped set) that you can implement at the
    harwarelevel

    This is kinda high level overview and I might not be the biggest expert
    out here....but that is how I do my standard setups.....I usually have at
    least 6 drives....I use my Controller utility to define a mirrored ( Raid 1)
    set for my boot/system/windows volume ( drive c: ) then setup up the rest as
    a RAID5 Array with an "online hot spare " ( then use Disk Manager to
    define the Drives you wnat to have on the RAID 5 Array...this Array wil
    appears as 1 big disk....you could format it and assign Drive letter E: or
    divy it up into smaller dirves..... but it will still be managed at the
    hardware level as a RAID5 array by your HP Controller)

    "Carlos" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using HP Proliant DL series server.
    >
    > When I prepare my server, I have this questions
    >
    > a) should I create single (1) logical drive only = 72GB and then partition
    > it in Win2K disk management
    >
    > b) should I create multiple (3) logical drives (c, d, e) within the array
    > controller
    >
    > - 1 big logical drive vs 3 logical drives
    >
    > - am i right to say that the partitions within the array controller is
    > faster than Win2K partition
    >
    > - by the way, when i create multiple logical drives, it gives me 1 basic + 2
    > dynamic volume.
    >
    > Thanks

Windows