after Win2003 SP1 , I can't see server computer on the My ..

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.documentation,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup (More info?)

Hi
I just installed the SP1 on Windows 2003 server. After the installation I
can't see the server computer from My Netwokr place on Windows XP SP2
installed workstation computer.

Does anyone know why i am having this problem?

Thanks
Dennis

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.documentation,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup (More info?)

Are you on a workgroup or domain? Sometimes making sure that the workgroup
is the same on all computers, or maybe you've got security so tight you
can't see it...?

--
Zack Whittaker
Microsoft Beta (Windows Server R2)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.documentation,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup (More info?)

Netbios over TCP/IP enabled?

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Zack Whittaker (MSBETA)" <zackwhittaker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Are you on a workgroup or domain? Sometimes making sure that the workgroup
> is the same on all computers, or maybe you've got security so tight you
> can't see it...?
>

> --
> Zack Whittaker
> Microsoft Beta (Windows Server R2)
> » www.zacksspace.cjb.net
> » Sort your computer out: http://sortyourcomputer.cjb.net/
> » This mailing is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights. All opinions expressed are those of myself unless stated so, and
> not of my employer, best friend, mother or cat. Let's be clear on that
> one!

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.documentation,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup (More info?)

i got this out when i ran the browstat status .It seems ok
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>browstat status

Status for domain LIBRARY on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{7DA6EA0F-F4AE-40A7-9
1E5-0B37F71B2747}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: PROMETHE
Master browser is running build 3790
1 backup servers retrieved from master PROMETHE
\\PROMETHE
There are 22 servers in domain LIBRARY on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{7DA
6EA0F-F4AE-40A7-91E5-0B37F71B2747}
There are 3 domains in domain LIBRARY on transport

"Stu" <stuart.graham@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Its likely to a problem with the server not registering with the master
> browser, its too hard to diagnose with so little information. Try tools
> like browstat to establish where you master browser is for a start.....

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.documentation,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup (More info?)

I have had this same problem since installing sp1 on the server. I have home
lab set up with server 2003 (Ent) SP1, Laptop with XPpro SP2, and Pc with
Win 2000 pro. I was not able to look through the 'my network places from
either client after installing sp1 on the server. I could look out from the
server, and drill down to the drives on the clients. But from the clients, I
could only drill down to the domain. Any attempt to drill beyound the
domain, resulted in a no access messeage (you don not have proper
permissions or server is not available).
Yesterday, I fixed the problem.
On the server, through Active Directory users and computers, open the
properties for the computer account. on the 'Delegation' tab, select "trust
this computer for delegation to all services (kerberos only)".
Close the properties and use the gpupdate to push the changes.
After that, all the client machines that hae the change will be able to
drill through the 'My Network Places', to the server.
MikeW (MCP-Xp)