Create emergency repair disks from recovery console?

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Is it possible to create the emergency repair disks from the recovery
console?

Because my computer wont boot (windows 2000) and I want to repair the
windows installation. But I don't have any emergency recovery disks, and the
windows installation program says that it need these disks.
I have no access to any other computer with a floppy drive, so I need to
make these emergency repair disks from the falty computer, and the only way
I see it is using the recovery console. But is it possible? If so, what
command to I use?

Regards
/Jimi
19 answers Last reply
More about create emergency repair disks recovery console

    No it isn't possible. There may be other ways though to recovery.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Jimi Hullegård" wrote:
    | Is it possible to create the emergency repair disks from the recovery
    | console?
    |
    | Because my computer wont boot (windows 2000) and I want to repair the
    | windows installation. But I don't have any emergency recovery disks, and
    the
    | windows installation program says that it need these disks.
    | I have no access to any other computer with a floppy drive, so I need to
    | make these emergency repair disks from the falty computer, and the only
    way
    | I see it is using the recovery console. But is it possible? If so, what
    | command to I use?
    |
    | Regards
    | /Jimi

    As a supplementary question, Dave, I had always
    assumed that the Emergency Recovery Disk had to be
    one that was made on the target machine (I assumed
    it had information specific to that machine) and
    moreover, ought best to be reasonably up to date.

    Is that true or are these ERD's in any sense
    "generic" ?

    Dave Patrick wrote:

    > No it isn't possible. There may be other ways though to recovery.
    >

    >> "Jimi Hullegård" wrote: Is it possible to
    >>create the emergency repair disks from the
    >>recovery console? Because my computer wont
    >>boot (windows 2000) and I want to repair the
    >>windows installation. But I don't have any
    >>emergency recovery disks, and the windows
    >>installation program says that it need these
    >>disks. I have no access to any other computer
    >>with a floppy drive, so I need to make these
    >>emergency repair disks from the falty computer,
    >>and the only way I see it is using the
    >>recovery console. But is it possible? If so,
    >>what command to I use?

    Yes on all three accounts.

    --

    "WoofWoof" wrote:
    | As a supplementary question, Dave, I had always
    | assumed that the Emergency Recovery Disk had to be
    | one that was made on the target machine (I assumed
    | it had information specific to that machine) and
    | moreover, ought best to be reasonably up to date.
    |
    | Is that true or are these ERD's in any sense
    | "generic" ?
    =----

    Hmm ... slightly confusing to my fuzzy brain,
    given my final question.

    I assume you mean:

    ERD must be made on target machine = yes
    ERD must be up to date = yes
    "Is that true" = yes

    ERD's generic = no

    (:-)

    "WoofWoof" wrote:
    | As a supplementary question, Dave, I had always
    | assumed that the Emergency Recovery Disk had to be
    | one that was made on the target machine (I assumed
    | it had information specific to that machine) and
    | moreover, ought best to be reasonably up to date.
    |
    | Is that true or are these ERD's in any sense
    | "generic" ?
    =---

    Correct on all four. :)

    --

    "WoofWoof" wrote:
    | Hmm ... slightly confusing to my fuzzy brain,
    | given my final question.
    |
    | I assume you mean:
    |
    | ERD must be made on target machine = yes
    | ERD must be up to date = yes
    | "Is that true" = yes
    |
    | ERD's generic = no
    |
    | (:-)
  6. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Jimi Hullegård wrote:
    > Is it possible to create the emergency repair disks from the recovery
    > console?

    If by "recovery console" you mean the screen that offers various repair
    options, no. W2K must be running for you to make make emergency
    diskettes, and the recovery console is actually running in a (very, very
    limited) command-line-only environment (AFAIK, it's a version of DOS.)
    The emergency diskettes are a limited snapshot of your W2K system as it
    exists when you make the diskettes. As I understand it, the key feature
    is the match between W2K and your specific hardware, which W2K creates
    automatically during installation.

    > Because my computer wont boot (windows 2000) and I want to repair the
    > windows installation. But I don't have any emergency recovery disks, and the
    > windows installation program says that it need these disks.
    > I have no access to any other computer with a floppy drive, so I need to
    > make these emergency repair disks from the falty computer, and the only way
    > I see it is using the recovery console. But is it possible? If so, what
    > command to I use?
    >
    > Regards
    > /Jimi

    You can use the CD to repair W2K from the recovery console.

    Depending on the type of repair you choose, there is more or less risk
    of some data loss, some changes in the installed-application base, and
    some changes in the service pack level. IOW, be prepared for some more
    or less tedious restoring of the computer to the state you had it in
    before it went bad. That's been my experience, anyhow.

    When you do get it working as desired, do a system backup, preferably on
    a different physical disk (IMO it's worth buying a cheap small HD just
    for this purpose.) And make the emergency diskettes. Then get on with
    your life. :-)

    BTW, even if you could make emergency diskettes from another instllation
    of W2K, they would conflict more or less seriously with your
    installation, so repair would likely not be possible anyhow.

    Down the road, you might want to investigate making a bootable CD that
    will restore your W2K system, service packs and all.

    HTH&GL
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Dave Patrick wrote:
    > Correct on all four. :)

    Rotfl!

    Thanks, Dave.

    BTW, when I read your postings, everything below
    your current response (i,e, all the signature and
    any quoted parts) come up in a light grey in my
    newsreader (Mozilla). Then when I reply none of
    the grey text automatically quotes (I have to cut
    and paste to get it). The only thing that quotes
    is your current response.

    Is this something specific that you are doing or
    is it something strange at my end (although yours
    are the only posts I've noticed it with)? I can't
    find anything in my preferences settings that
    would account for this.

    Although it's a bit of a nuisance to cut and paste
    when necessary, this does have the effect of
    reducing down on on overquoting actually and is
    probably quite a good thing on balance.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I'm using OE and it may well be something that outlook express does. OE is a
    top posting reader which from my perspective is correct. I always trim all
    except the text of what I'm replying to. If I had to scroll to the bottom
    of each message to read the latest then I would end up being far less
    productive as far as learning and answering goes. You can view the internet
    headers for some of these messages and see whether we're using a news reader
    or CDO and if the former you can also see (among other things) the posting
    host.

    BTW you don't need newsfeeds.com to view and or participate in these
    Microsoft groups. You can point your news reader to news.microsoft.com

    --

    News==----
    | http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
    Newsgroups
    | ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
    =----
  9. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    "Wolf Kirchmeir" <wwolfkir@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Jimi Hullegård wrote:
    >> Is it possible to create the emergency repair disks from the recovery
    >> console?
    >
    > If by "recovery console" you mean the screen that offers various repair
    > options, no. W2K must be running for you to make make emergency diskettes,
    > and the recovery console is actually running in a (very, very limited)
    > command-line-only environment (AFAIK, it's a version of DOS.) The
    > emergency diskettes are a limited snapshot of your W2K system as it exists
    > when you make the diskettes. As I understand it, the key feature is the
    > match between W2K and your specific hardware, which W2K creates
    > automatically during installation.

    OK. I didn't know that.
    But then how does boot disks like these work?
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    I thought these four W2k disks were the rescue disks?

    >> Because my computer wont boot (windows 2000) and I want to repair the
    >> windows installation. But I don't have any emergency recovery disks, and
    >> the windows installation program says that it need these disks.
    >> I have no access to any other computer with a floppy drive, so I need to
    >> make these emergency repair disks from the falty computer, and the only
    >> way I see it is using the recovery console. But is it possible? If so,
    >> what command to I use?
    >
    > You can use the CD to repair W2K from the recovery console.

    Well, I tried that, but it didn't work. I guess because the CD I used when I
    installed windows way back wasn't the same CD as I used today.

    So I ended up installing windows on top of my current installation.

    Thanks for all information, Wolf!

    /Jimi
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Setup disks are for use when installing the operating system. You only
    needed to use these in the event you could not boot the CD-Rom for one
    reason or the other. The ERD is not a bootable disk. The steps to repair
    depend on what issue you're having.

    --

    "Jimi Hullegård" wrote:
    | OK. I didn't know that.
    | But then how does boot disks like these work?
    | http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    | I thought these four W2k disks were the rescue disks?
    |

    | Well, I tried that, but it didn't work. I guess because the CD I used when
    | installed windows way back wasn't the same CD as I used today.
    |
    | So I ended up installing windows on top of my current installation.
    |
    | Thanks for all information, Wolf!
    |
    | /Jimi

  11. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Jimi Hullegård wrote:
    > "Wolf Kirchmeir" <wwolfkir@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jimi Hullegård wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is it possible to create the emergency repair disks from the recovery
    >>>console?
    >>
    >>If by "recovery console" you mean the screen that offers various repair
    >>options, no. W2K must be running for you to make make emergency diskettes,
    >>and the recovery console is actually running in a (very, very limited)
    >>command-line-only environment (AFAIK, it's a version of DOS.) The
    >>emergency diskettes are a limited snapshot of your W2K system as it exists
    >>when you make the diskettes. As I understand it, the key feature is the
    >>match between W2K and your specific hardware, which W2K creates
    >>automatically during installation.
    >

    > OK. I didn't know that.
    > But then how does boot disks like these work?
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    > I thought these four W2k disks were the rescue disks?

    They boot a limited version of W2K with the assumption of "generic
    hardware", eg, plain EGA instead of VGA or XGA, no network cards or
    printer drivers, etc. You use this plain vanilla version of W2K to
    invoke the repair process. The emergency diskette you make with your own
    system differs from this in a few crucial respects, as I understand it
    - but I may be wrong. In any case, it may be worth d/l those bootdisks
    and keeping a couple copies on hand.

    [...]
    >>You can use the CD to repair W2K from the recovery console.
    >

    > Well, I tried that, but it didn't work. I guess because the CD I used when I
    > installed windows way back wasn't the same CD as I used today.

    Ah, you should always keep the original CD -- or at least copy of it. :-)

    > So I ended up installing windows on top of my current installation.

    That should work all right, at least you'll get a workable W2K, and can
    fiddle with it.

    > Thanks for all information, Wolf!

    You're welcome.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:35:18 -0400, Wolf Kirchmeir
    <wwolfkir@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >Jimi Hullegård wrote:
    >> "Wolf Kirchmeir" <wwolfkir@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    >>>If by "recovery console" you mean the screen that offers various repair
    >>>options, no. W2K must be running for you to make make emergency diskettes,
    >>>and the recovery console is actually running in a (very, very limited)
    >>>command-line-only environment (AFAIK, it's a version of DOS.) The
    >>>emergency diskettes are a limited snapshot of your W2K system as it exists
    >>>when you make the diskettes. As I understand it, the key feature is the
    >>>match between W2K and your specific hardware, which W2K creates
    >>>automatically during installation.
    >>

    >> OK. I didn't know that.
    >> But then how does boot disks like these work?
    >> http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    >> I thought these four W2k disks were the rescue disks?
    >
    >They boot a limited version of W2K with the assumption of "generic
    >hardware", eg, plain EGA instead of VGA or XGA, no network cards or
    >printer drivers, etc. You use this plain vanilla version of W2K to
    >invoke the repair process. The emergency diskette you make with your own
    > system differs from this in a few crucial respects, as I understand it
    >- but I may be wrong. In any case, it may be worth d/l those bootdisks
    >and keeping a couple copies on hand.
    >
    >[...]
    >>>You can use the CD to repair W2K from the recovery console.
    >>

    >> Well, I tried that, but it didn't work. I guess because the CD I used when I
    >> installed windows way back wasn't the same CD as I used today.
    >
    >Ah, you should always keep the original CD -- or at least copy of it. :-)

    I'd try to keep the original CD - AND a copy of it. Anything can get
    lost or damaged.

    Note that copying files dosn't make a disk bootable. Use the CD-copy
    option in your burning software.

    --
    "Today, the theory of evolution is an accepted fact
    for everyone but a fundamentalist minority, whose

    I may have mislead you .... It's not a top vs
    bottom posting issue (I agree with you about top
    posting but lets not start that discussion here
    (:-) ).

    What happens is that my reader doesn't quote your
    *whole* message just the most recent part. (For
    example, the quoted part shown in this message is
    all I got of your previous message (qv) when I hit
    reply).

    I've not seen this behaviour before. With anyone
    else's posts, I get everything - all the previous
    quotes, warts and all. (Just thinking ...perhaps
    the quote character you use has a peculiar effect
    on Mozilla. Is it user selectable in OE?)

    As for the news server, I run a small local news
    server (Hamster) which picks up the same groups
    from several external servers including
    news.microsoft.com and newsfeeds.com. It has the
    advantage that if one server goes down or is
    incomplete the messages will be available from
    another. Also, for example, the server I had
    selected for posting my messages seemed to be
    failing to post them this weekend. It's then
    trivial to switch posting to another of the
    subscribed servers. (Which is actually why my
    messages are currently showing the newsfeeds.com
    tagline).

    (It also has the disadvantage that the local
    Hamster server necessarily only serves the actual
    groups that you subscribe to. If you reply to a
    message that is cross-posted to a group you don't
    subscribe to, that reply isn't posted at all).

    Dave Patrick wrote:

    > I'm using OE and it may well be something that outlook express does. OE is a
    > top posting reader which from my perspective is correct. I always trim all
    > except the text of what I'm replying to. If I had to scroll to the bottom
    > of each message to read the latest then I would end up being far less
    > productive as far as learning and answering goes. You can view the internet
    > headers for some of these messages and see whether we're using a news reader
    > or CDO and if the former you can also see (among other things) the posting
    > host.
    >
    > BTW you don't need newsfeeds.com to view and or participate in these
    > Microsoft groups. You can point your news reader to news.microsoft.com

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    So it's chopping off my signature line. OE by default uses > for quoting I
    can also select a colon :

    --

    "WoofWoof" wrote:
    >I may have mislead you .... It's not a top vs bottom posting issue (I agree
    >with you about top posting but lets not start that discussion here (:-) ).
    >
    > What happens is that my reader doesn't quote your *whole* message just the
    > most recent part. (For example, the quoted part shown in this message is
    > all I got of your previous message (qv) when I hit reply).
    >
    > I've not seen this behaviour before. With anyone else's posts, I get
    > everything - all the previous quotes, warts and all. (Just thinking
    > ...perhaps the quote character you use has a peculiar effect on Mozilla.
    > Is it user selectable in OE?)
    >
    > As for the news server, I run a small local news server (Hamster) which
    > picks up the same groups from several external servers including
    > news.microsoft.com and newsfeeds.com. It has the advantage that if one
    > server goes down or is incomplete the messages will be available from
    > another. Also, for example, the server I had selected for posting my
    > messages seemed to be failing to post them this weekend. It's then trivial
    > to switch posting to another of the subscribed servers. (Which is actually
    > why my messages are currently showing the newsfeeds.com tagline).
    >
    > (It also has the disadvantage that the local Hamster server necessarily
    > only serves the actual groups that you subscribe to. If you reply to a
    > message that is cross-posted to a group you don't subscribe to, that reply
    > isn't posted at all).
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    "WoofWoof" wrote:
    :I may have mislead you .... It's not a top vs
    : bottom posting issue (I agree with you about top
    : posting but lets not start that discussion here
    : (:-) ).
    :
[...]
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Dave Patrick <mail@nospam.dspatrick.com> wrote:
    > So it's chopping off my signature line. OE by default uses > for quoting I
    > can also select a colon :

    Some news clients automatically truncate quoted material at the sig
    separator (that line containing only "-- " which is intended to separate
    the text of the message from the signature. When your reply inserts a
    signature anywhere other than at the bottom of the message, replying to
    that reply results in the loss of part of the original message, as seem
    here.

    --
    Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
    Columbus, Ohio

    Neither of the two versions that you posted
    (different quote characters) solved the problem.

    I'm inclined to think Gary's answer is correct.
    That it's the "--" separator in the sig line which
    is doing this. Certainly, that separator and
    everything following is truncated.

    Dave Patrick wrote:

    > So it's chopping off my signature line. OE by default uses > for quoting I
    > can also select a colon :

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    See my reply to dave. I think you've probably
    cracked it here Gary. Interesting.

    Gary Smith wrote:

    > Dave Patrick <mail@nospam.dspatrick.com> wrote:
    >
    >>So it's chopping off my signature line. OE by default uses > for quoting I
    >>can also select a colon :
    >

    > Some news clients automatically truncate quoted material at the sig
    > separator (that line containing only "-- " which is intended to separate
    > the text of the message from the signature. When your reply inserts a
    > signature anywhere other than at the bottom of the message, replying to
    > that reply results in the loss of part of the original message, as seem
    > here.

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Yep probably so. The combination of the -- and your newsreader.

    --

    "WoofWoof" wrote:
    | Neither of the two versions that you posted
    | (different quote characters) solved the problem.
    |
    | I'm inclined to think Gary's answer is correct.
    | That it's the "--" separator in the sig line which
    | is doing this. Certainly, that separator and
    | everything following is truncated.

Computers Recovery Console Windows 2000 Windows