MS Java VM in W2K SP4 with IE 6.0 SP1

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

Hi,

If I install W2K then SP4 and then upgrade IE to 6.0 SP1 should this
installation include the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine? I thought so, but I
don't seem to have it installed. I know how to obtain it, but I want to know
if I should already have it.

Thanks,

Adrian

One of the guys will correct me if I'm wrong but I
believe MS lost a lawsuit to Sun and can no longer
include the Microsoft Java. You have to get one
from Sun.

Adrian wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If I install W2K then SP4 and then upgrade IE to 6.0 SP1 should this
> installation include the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine? I thought so, but I
> don't seem to have it installed. I know how to obtain it, but I want to know
> if I should already have it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adrian

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

Actually, I think the installation was made by slipstreaming, if that makes
a difference.

Adrian
"Adrian" <adystrash@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> If I install W2K then SP4 and then upgrade IE to 6.0 SP1 should this
> installation include the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine? I thought so, but
> I don't seem to have it installed. I know how to obtain it, but I want to
> know if I should already have it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adrian

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

I can confirm that myself. MS no longer includes Java VMs in their OSs and
does not have any previous ones available for download; they refer visitors
to the Sun site.

But that's not my question. I have read on the MS website and elsewhere that
W2K does include a Java VM by default. However, I have got a W2K SP4
slipstreamed installation and there does not seem to be a VM installed. I
certainly haven't removed it myself (and nobody else has touched my pc). So,
I'm wondering if there is something about the SP4 upgrade that removes the
VM (or, if slipstreamed, just doesn't install it).

Thanks,

Adrian

"WoofWoof" <oftenbark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> One of the guys will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe MS lost a
> lawsuit to Sun and can no longer include the Microsoft Java. You have to
> get one from Sun.
>
> Adrian wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If I install W2K then SP4 and then upgrade IE to 6.0 SP1 should this
>> installation include the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine? I thought so,
>> but I don't seem to have it installed. I know how to obtain it, but I
>> want to know if I should already have it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Adrian

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

It's entirely possible that the slipstreamed version of W2K/SP4 has Java
removed from it. If you had installed W2K from any older version and then
installed SP4 as I did, you would have the Java VM. I don't think that
IE6 affects the issue one way or the other.

--
Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
Columbus, Ohio