Still have questions about setting up Fax in Windows XP

Have read all info I can find on installing/enabling fax in windows xp. Have
gone through all steps, but don't quite get how it works yet! Re:
TSID/CSID...directions say this is mandatory in some areas, so do I have to
put something in this field? If so, what? To receive a fax, what is my fax
number? My computer is not connected to my phone line! Can I still send a fax
since not connected to phone line? This is also why I'm confused about what
to put for TSID/CSID...read where somebody else put phone#, but not sure why
I would put that on mine. Hope this makes sense! Thanks for any help anybody
might have.
9 answers Last reply
More about still questions setting windows

    "Deb" <Deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Have read all info I can find on installing/enabling fax in windows
    > xp. Have
    > gone through all steps, but don't quite get how it works yet! Re:
    > TSID/CSID...directions say this is mandatory in some areas, so do I
    > have to
    > put something in this field? If so, what?

    Anything you want but preferrably something that might mean something to
    the recipient of your fax. You could, for example, use FAXnnnnnnnnnn
    where it lists your own fax number. Or you could use
    DebraMessing-nnnnnnnnnn, or YourCompanyName-nnnnnnnnnn, or
    DebraMessing-YourCompanyName, and there are lots of choices. Just
    choose how you want to identify yourself. Putting in a bogus value that
    deliberately misleads the fax recipient is considered fraud. If you
    don't divulge your personal telephone number for privacy concerns then
    obviously don't use it in the TSID and instead use your fax number (if
    different than your personal phone number).

    Since you are using a telecommunications venue to send the fax, the TSID
    ((Transmitting Subscriber IDentification, or Transmitting Station
    Identification) should include a phone number as part of the
    identification. The TSID should provide enough info that the fax
    recipient can send you back a fax (without reading your cover letter
    which lists the fax number since they may not get the cover letter
    provided you even included one) or call you regarding the fax that you
    sent them. The TSID is usually a combination of the fax or telephone
    number and the name of the sender or their business name. This value
    goes by the name of Caller Subscriber ID (CSID). The TSID gets printed
    as a header at the top of each page of your fax. Since you may not be
    including a cover letter or cover page which identifies you, the TSID
    should be sufficient for the recipient to know how to contact you.

    > To receive a fax, what is my fax
    > number? My computer is not connected to my phone line! Can I still
    > send a fax
    > since not connected to phone line?

    Can you scan a document by holding it up to your monitor?

    If you are using an analog *modem* with fax abilities, just how do you
    think that fax will get sent? It is a modem which means .... yep, you
    guessed it ... that it must be connected to a telephone line. You can
    use online fax services to eliminate the need for a fax modem and a
    telephone line but expect to pay for it. There are still some online
    fax services that are free but only for receiving faxes via e-mail. To
    send, you have to pay them, and you'll have to use their software
    because the Fax Service in WinXP is designed to work with a fax modem.

    See http://snipurl.com/cwsf. Besides http://www.tpc.int/ for free (but
    somewhat unreliable) Internet faxing, some services, like
    http://www.freefax.com, claim to be free but they are advertisement
    support and they use tpc.int for delivery, so there's no point in using
    them since they use the same provider and would end up polluting your
    faxes. You'll have to visit their web sites to see what client software
    they require or how to use them. I haven't sent a fax except maybe once
    in 8 years because the gov't wanted a fax of some document. I have a
    freebie eFax account to receive faxes via e-mail (so I don't need to
    bother leaving the fax modem and software enabled).

    > This is also why I'm confused about what
    > to put for TSID/CSID...read where somebody else put phone#, but not
    > sure why
    > I would put that on mine. Hope this makes sense! Thanks for any help
    > anybody
    > might have.

    This field should have some identifying information regarding YOU.
    Could be your name, address, telephone number, fax number, or whatever
    you like but it should point back to you. Don't use personal info like
    your social security number or driver's license. When configuring the
    device under the Fax printer's properties, it gives a hint as to what
    you should use for the TSID value.

    You could go read some fax stuff at
    http://www.junkfaxes.org/federal_law.htm. Visit their home page to note
    that citations and fines are getting levied against fax spammers.
    Whether the laws are applicable or not depends entirely on your
    location.

    Hi, Deb.

    I've never had a fax machine, but I did send and receive a few faxes back
    when I had a dial-up modem (before ADSL). And I think that may be the heart
    of your problem. As CWatters and Vanguard both said, you must have a phone
    line. But what they both omitted is that you must also be able to dial the
    fax phone number. You must have a DIALER - something your computer can used
    to make the audible beeps and boops that the phone will send to the phone
    switch to make the destination fax ring.

    Is that right, guys?

    When I had dial-up, I could use the modem as a speed-dialer to make a voice
    (or fax) call. My ADSL "modem" uses the phone line, but it does not include
    a dialer and I've given away my old modem, so I can't do that anymore.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
    > Hi, Deb.
    >
    > I've never had a fax machine, but I did send and receive a few faxes
    > back when I had a dial-up modem (before ADSL). And I think that may
    > be the heart of your problem. As CWatters and Vanguard both said, you
    > must have a phone line. But what they both omitted is that you must
    > also be able to dial the fax phone number. You must have a DIALER -
    > something your computer can used to make the audible beeps and boops
    > that the phone will send to the phone switch to make the destination
    > fax ring.
    >
    > Is that right, guys?

    The client for the Fax Service uses the fax modem to make the
    connection. It is the application that sends the commands to the modem
    to unhook (connect) and also issues commands to the modem to have the
    modem pickup the line and make the dialing tones. Applications don't
    dial. They send commands to the device. The modem does the connect and
    dialing. Not much of a difference than a data-only modem that connects,
    dials, and handshakes with your ISP's dial-up modem pool. The fax
    program sends commands to the modem which then connects and issues the
    dialing tones.

    > When I had dial-up, I could use the modem as a speed-dialer to make a
    > voice (or fax) call. My ADSL "modem" uses the phone line, but it does
    > not include a dialer and I've given away my old modem, so I can't do
    > that anymore.

    That is because aDSL is an always-on connection. You don't need to do
    the connect and dialing tones but the aDSL still has to handshake for a
    session (probably takes all of a third of a second).

    "Deb" <Deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Have read all info I can find on installing/enabling fax in windows xp.
    Have
    > gone through all steps, but don't quite get how it works yet! Re:
    > TSID/CSID...directions say this is mandatory in some areas, so do I have
    > put something in this field? If so, what? To receive a fax, what is my fax
    > number? My computer is not connected to my phone line! Can I still send a
    fax
    > since not connected to phone line? This is also why I'm confused about
    what
    > to put for TSID/CSID...read where somebody else put phone#, but not sure
    why
    > I would put that on mine. Hope this makes sense! Thanks for any help
    anybody
    > might have.

    Two ways to do this:

    1) Connect a phone line (if you have a modem in your PC)

    2) Use an Internet based fax service like:
    http://home.efax.com/
    http://www.fax4free.com/home.asp
    or others.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Internet+based+fax

    "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message news:oWD%d.42692 >
    Two ways to do this:

    > 1) Connect a phone line (if you have a modem in your PC)

    If you decide to got this route then see...

    Faxing in Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/crawford_02october21.mspx

    Thanks to all for the info....hooked up a phone line and was able to receive
    fax and to send fax!!! Just ONE more thing...Please. I guess I'd figure this
    out eventually, but maybe someone knows.
    What I want to do is fax a word document. There is an option in word...under
    file...send to...fax recipient. Fax wizard comes up. Tried it. My recipient
    should have rec'd three pages, however only rec'd fax cover. Checked fax
    help. Advises not to use this method! Haven't had time to read what method TO
    USE. Anybody know? Trying to get my resume to somebody for whom I only have a
    fax number, but don't want to take forever! (already wasted yesterday testing
    it) Thanks.
    Deb.

    In Word, go to File, select Print, when the dialogue box appears. select Fax
    from the dropdown list next to name under Printer. Then, click OK and
    follow the prompts as you normally would to send a fax.

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    > Thanks to all for the info....hooked up a phone line and was able to
    > receive
    > fax and to send fax!!! Just ONE more thing...Please. I guess I'd figure
    > this
    > out eventually, but maybe someone knows.
    > What I want to do is fax a word document. There is an option in
    > word...under
    > file...send to...fax recipient. Fax wizard comes up. Tried it. My
    > recipient
    > should have rec'd three pages, however only rec'd fax cover. Checked fax
    > help. Advises not to use this method! Haven't had time to read what method
    > USE. Anybody know? Trying to get my resume to somebody for whom I only
    > have a
    > fax number, but don't want to take forever! (already wasted yesterday
    > testing
    > it) Thanks.
    > Deb.

    Michael-

    Thank you...Thank you! It worked...so easy.

    Deb.

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > In Word, go to File, select Print, when the dialogue box appears. select Fax
    > from the dropdown list next to name under Printer. Then, click OK and
    > follow the prompts as you normally would to send a fax.
    >
    > --
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
    >
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >

    > "deb" <deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks to all for the info....hooked up a phone line and was able to
    > > receive
    > > fax and to send fax!!! Just ONE more thing...Please. I guess I'd figure
    > > this
    > > out eventually, but maybe someone knows.
    > > What I want to do is fax a word document. There is an option in
    > > word...under
    > > file...send to...fax recipient. Fax wizard comes up. Tried it. My
    > > recipient
    > > should have rec'd three pages, however only rec'd fax cover. Checked fax
    > > help. Advises not to use this method! Haven't had time to read what method
    > > USE. Anybody know? Trying to get my resume to somebody for whom I only
    > > have a
    > > fax number, but don't want to take forever! (already wasted yesterday
    > > testing
    > > it) Thanks.
    > > Deb.

    You're welcome, Deb, good luck.:-)

    --

    > Michael-
    >
    > Thank you...Thank you! It worked...so easy.
    >
    > Deb.
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> In Word, go to File, select Print, when the dialogue box appears. select
    >> Fax
    >> from the dropdown list next to name under Printer. Then, click OK and
    >> follow the prompts as you normally would to send a fax.
    >>
    >> --
    >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
    >>
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> "deb" <deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks to all for the info....hooked up a phone line and was able to
    >> > receive
    >> > fax and to send fax!!! Just ONE more thing...Please. I guess I'd figure
    >> > this
    >> > out eventually, but maybe someone knows.
    >> > What I want to do is fax a word document. There is an option in
    >> > word...under
    >> > file...send to...fax recipient. Fax wizard comes up. Tried it. My
    >> > recipient
    >> > should have rec'd three pages, however only rec'd fax cover. Checked
    >> > fax
    >> > help. Advises not to use this method! Haven't had time to read what
    >> > method
    >> > USE. Anybody know? Trying to get my resume to somebody for whom I only
    >> > have a
    >> > fax number, but don't want to take forever! (already wasted yesterday
    >> > testing
    >> > it) Thanks.
    >> > Deb.

Fax Windows XP