What would a Bugatti over-the-top PC look like?

WGruener

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Rob Enderle is wondering why we have 1000-horsepower cars on the street and aren’t shy showing off the performance of supercars, while we are hiding the performance of modern PCs under our desks. Why is it that PCs have to be boring and how would a Bugatti PC look like? Share your opinion with us!

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Enderle huh? Interesting character...

Who says PC's are boring? Not to an enthusiast! It's a great hobby since things change constantly and you never run out of things to play with. I love to buy last year's premium parts off the clearance table and overclock the snot out of them! (Sounds a little bit like the hot-rodder tweaking his engine doesn't it!)

Unfortunately, to the majority of people out there PC's are a pain in the posterior and therefore I would say they're classified as "boring". Just try talking about upcoming processors to a "regular person" and their eyes glaze over and they change the subject.

Fast cars on the other hand are visual and durable. What was fast in 1969 is still impressive today (ahhhh... my dream car, a '69 Chevelle SS396!) Can't say that about a two year old PC :)

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Scout,

You should know that your dream car needs to be a (68 Camaro SS with a 396 375!!!) ;)

Man you noobs :)

J/k!!

It would seem that many would take offense to the above statement just as they would about an Nvidia/ATI comment or heaven forbid a Intel/AMD comment.

fidgewinkle

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
This high performance computer needs to have a custom hard drive composed of M-RAM being manufactured by Freescale. At 4M bits per chip, it might take up quite a bit of space, and a price of $25 for each chip equates to $50,000 per Gigabyte. To some extent, the speed won't be fully realized by a SATA II interface, but it would be one really fast system. For someone with $1.3 Million to waste, it is the best way to get performance for your investment.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
I think in the enthusiats group you actually see folks with the same attitudes..

They will talk about their machine and "what its got under the hood"...

And as far as the Bugatti style machine I think you have those in the Boutique sales... Falcon, Dell (now 8O ), Alien (still Dell 8O), ...

When you are talking about machines that run upwards of 10 thousand for a Personal Computer, I think that would qualify.

Then you have the Hyundai of the computer world the Emachines :)

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
Rob Enderle is wondering why we have 1000-horsepower cars on the street and aren’t shy showing off the performance of supercars, while we are hiding the performance of modern PCs under our desks. Why is it that PCs have to be boring and how would a Bugatti PC look like? Share your opinion with us!

It seems like a foolish analogy. I don't recall seeing PC's cruising PCH in SoCal. Your PC is impressive to you or anyone using your comp with its "screen performance". Fan LED's , strobes, all of that kind of garbage is about as impressive as spinner hubcaps. Show me something where it counts....on my LCD.

The only relevant analogy that can work in this situation is the "hourglass" being equivalent to turbo lag.

sailer

Splendid
Scout,

You should know that your dream car needs to be a (68 Camaro SS with a 396 375!!!) ;)

J/k!!

Personally, I'd rather have a 1970 Barracuda convertible with a 426 hemi, or maybe the first car I ever owned, a 59 Chevy impala with a 350hp 348 and three deuces. Ah, nostalgia.

Back to computers, why not house a computer in the Bugatti and get the best of both worlds?

NOXdk

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007
I would love to buy the Veron car if it was ONLY 1.3 mio dollars... Unfortually i live in Denmark, Europe, and we have some crazy tax system with charges atleast 180% in tax when buying a car... for example the Veron cost 4.4 mio dollars and a normal car like a VW golf cost like 54000 $ for a 1.4 litre.... All we danes hate when people from other countries talks about how expencive their supercars is... In denmark you have to multipli that with 3... Cheers and totally off topic

PCAnalyst

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
I would love to buy the Veron car if it was ONLY 1.3 mio dollars... Unfortually i live in Denmark, Europe, and we have some crazy tax system with charges atleast 180% in tax when buying a car... for example the Veron cost 4.4 mio dollars and a normal car like a VW golf cost like 54000 $ for a 1.4 litre.... All we danes hate when people from other countries talks about how expencive their supercars is... In denmark you have to multipli that with 3... Cheers and totally off topic

Couldn't you buy it somewhere else, perhaps Germany, and then just drive it home? :? Or are your borders too secure for that?

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

Link doesn't work.

kev000

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Show me something where it counts....on my LCD.

I completely agree. Of course your machine needs to look like a work of art. Laptops especially, but looks are nothing next to great underlying hardware and software that puts the power in perspective. My Bugatti PC would be this:

CPU: Quad Core Processor
RAM: 2 Gigs at least
O.S.: Ubuntu Linux + Beryl (Windows Vista is just going to waste additional resources)

If you haven't seen what beryl can do you need to visit youtube. I've gotten several people to turn there heads and ask: "what the #$@ is that?" when they saw my old Thinkpad T40 running Linux+Beryl. Lets just face it, Windows is a Ford, Linux is a Mercedes, and Linux+Beryl has to be a Bugatti.

Flames are welcome, but mostly ignored.

jijeewu

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
What is wrong with your head? Why would I be so stupid as to need a lcd screen to remind me how fast my processor is? It's got 2 significant figures for gods sake. Second, why would I want lights to tell me my computers getting hot? I dont want it to get fucking hot! That's why I bought fans. Also why would anyone think that their pc is something that should be shown off? It's a personal device, unlike a car or a wicked set of speakers. Do I really care if some 14 year old knows I spent 2k on it? I'd get more enjoyment out of standing at a high school urinal with blinking red led lights strung around my dick then flaunting hardware to nobodies.
Also what's the point in showing off a computer? In a month it's second best. I don't think most people would get all that much pleasure from one month of owning the best.
If my computer needs red led lights to tell me it's hot, I think it would have to be useful only if it was about to catch fire. I think wiring a febrezze pluggin to my exhaust fan would be a better mod then a bunch of useless numbers.

Computers are about being quiet, not crashing, and playing games and or getting work done. Anyone who thinks there a status symbol should get a night job and buy a real one.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
personally i dont think its thinks like LED Fans and Cold Cathodes which make PCs look cool, i think hardware, like dual x1950PROs look cool, and if you have one by MSI with its blue translucent cover and one by Sapphire with its red one, and a cool looking heat sink like the Zalman CNPS 9700LED, it looks much better than a 8800GTX with some shitty LED fans (no offense) and i don't think LED fans are all that cool either, i like the high flow ones by evercool that are metal, i think that kind of setup in a piano black case with a white cold cathode just to light up the setup would look specifically cool.

NOXdk

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007

Couldn't you buy it somewhere else, perhaps Germany, and then just drive it home? :? Or are your borders too secure for that?

In Europe if you stay (live in a country) for a specific period of time it is not alowed to drive in a car that is not registered in that country. You have to have an adress in Germany and not live in Denmark for more than 3-4 months of a year to be able to own a "german car"... otherwise all danes would do that... btw for example a 1989 golf 1.6 litre cost like 5800 dollars... now that is fucked up!

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Scout,

J/k!!

It would seem that many would take offense to the above statement just as they would about an Nvidia/ATI comment or heaven forbid a Intel/AMD comment.

68 GTO! 71 Hemi Cuda Convertible!

Farrwalker

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
In my experience with cars, there has been two poles when it comes to preferences in a vehicles appearence versus its performance.

On the one hand you have the "Show" crowd, and on the other you have the "Go" crowd, and in between you have the "In-between" owners.

I have been part of the Go crowd. I prefer to have a sleeper vehicle that looks stock but actually has performance that exceeds stock under the hood and in the rest of the car. Getting more horsepower rather than a flashy paint job is more appealing to me; or a better suspension to pull more lateral Gs.

It is similar with a computer. I do not care how it looks. The computer must first be stable, then I select components with give me options to overclock, and components which have all of the capabilities I desire.

For example, I currently am running an Intel E6600 at 3.6GHz (50% overclock) on an eVGA motherboard, with 2 GB ram at 1000MHz, 8800GTX (DX10 capable), and a 150GB Raptor hard drive. While it may not be the fastest or most powerful, it is up there in the performance; as well as, the value is excellent because of the overclocking. Additionally, it is totally stable.

The case is a beige server size case, no windows or lights, inside the cables are not all neat and tidy. Those matter not to me. What matters most to me is that I can run applications with all the options turn on.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Comparing driving a car to using a computer really makes very little sense. First, driving a car is a visceral experience, being pushed into the back of the seat under hard acceleration off the line or hammering it at the apex of a curve, braking done to hit the next curve at the right speed to gain speed coming out, or catching a car up when it begins to break lose. No matter how fast a computer is you will not physically feel it. If I’m sitting at a light and someone thinks they’re faster than me, it’s easy to settle, who ever is in front at the end wins. In addition, the driver plays a much more important role in a car. Auto crossing I’ve seen much slower cars get much better times because of the driver. Also for cars, especially fast cars, form follows function, i.e., aerodynamics are important. While a modded case maybe a thing of beauty, it doesn’t add to performance. You don’t have to be concerned with down drafts and minimizing air resistance with a computer. Finally, and maybe most importantly, women would rather be seen cruising around in a beautiful car than be seen sitting next to a nicely modded computer.

sailer

Splendid
Finally, and maybe most importantly, women would rather be seen cruising around in a beautiful car than be seen sitting next to a nicely modded computer.

You got that right. I haven't met the woman yet that would rather sit by a computer, however it was modded, instead of riding around in my Cobra.