Tuniq tower defeated!

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2943&p=4

Check out anand's review of Thermalright's new cpu cooler. What a monster!
48 answers Last reply
More about tuniq tower defeated
  1. yeah, i read that...definitely would be my first choice now. anandtech seem do be doing alot of good reviews lately
  2. Quote:
    yeah, i read that...definitely would be my first choice now. anandtech seem do be doing alot of good reviews lately

They have taken a strong position as my 2nd favorite review site. The forums over there suck though. :wink:
  3. hmm.
  4. That is impressive!! 8O 8O 8O

Some of those temps are down right awesome!!
  5. I either missed it or it is not there at all...

Was there a projected price for the extreme?
  6. Quote:
    I either missed it or it is not there at all...

Was there a projected price for the extreme?

I didn't see one either, it looks like we will have to wait till it hits shelves.
  7. Hum. I might buy this just to OC my Pentium 60. Think I can get 2.4ghz?

Anyway, website shows problems installing this with Gigabyte Mobos... dang i have an S3.
  8. I know right, I was reading it several days ago. Thanks to the massive amount of heatpipes the Ultra 120+ is a great improvement from the first version. I'm waiting for Frostytech to test these new cpu cooler for themselves.
  9. Quote:
    Hum. I might buy this just to OC my Pentium 60. Think I can get 2.4ghz?

Anyway, website shows problems installing this with Gigabyte Mobos... dang i have an S3.

Really! Thats surprising, what's the problem?
  10. its probably not gigabyte boards, probably ones with the back-plate...probably (anadtech is down for me so i cant check)
  11. a back plate riser that gigabyte uses. it goes in to detail on their website.
  12. Wow those are some crazy temps... almost 4GHz on air and still less than 50C under load...
  13. Quote:
    yeah, i read that...definitely would be my first choice now. anandtech seem do be doing alot of good reviews lately

I was wondering how Anandtech got 36C with their Tuniq at load. When I did my load temps measurement, I used TAT, which gave me 46C. Anandtech doesn't use TAT, they use a game

Quote:
    The stress test simulates running a demanding contemporary game. The Far Cry River demo is looped for 30 minutes and the CPU temperature is captured at 4 second intervals with the NVIDIA monitor "logging" option. The highest temperature during the load test is then reported

I thought I didn't seat my Tuniq properly (which was weird because I have a similar idle temp as Anandtech's review.

In gaming, I get 38C, very similar to Anandtech's results.

Yeah that new Ultra 120 is cool! It's nice to see that the performance curve keeps improving!
  14. Didnt i post this like 2 days ago?

It is an awesome hsf, but I dont think the thing would fit in my case, too tall.
  15. Quote:
    Didnt i post this like 2 days ago?

Quite possibly, I was out of town earlier this week and probably missed it. My apologies if this is the case. :oops:

Still, a great cooler, no?
  16. the thermalright makes me very slightly want to return my tuniq(i haven't installed it yet). but both coolers are really a cut above the rest.
  17. Quote:
    the thermalright makes me very slightly want to return my tuniq(i haven't installed it yet). but both coolers are really a cut above the rest.

Yeah, if you've already got the tuniq in hand, I don't think the performance difference is worth the drive back to the store.
  18. What about compounding both heat syncs? Wouldn't that double the amount of cooling?

use this equation where t(u) and t(h) are each heat syncs.

dG = -SdT + VdP + ∑µdN(sub i) x (t(u)/t(h))/∑α

works out to a factor of 1.4 which would be worth it.
  19. huh....only one heat sink fits on a cpu...
  20. very good scores but how does that compare to water seeing as how good they are?
  21. water cooling costs more and cools more
  22. Quote:
    huh....only one heat sink fits on a cpu...

you dont say "huh" to the mathematics of thermal dynamics, you say "huh" to combining both heat syncs... funny!
  23. I would like to first see the price, $60 should be good for it.
  24. Quote:

you dont say "huh" to the mathematics of thermal dynamics, you say "huh" to combining both heat syncs... funny!

why's that funny?:/ i dont think i get the combination of heatsinks either:/
  25. I was not being serious either way, though the math is mostly correct.

nvrmind /failure
  26. well...thats a conversation killer:P
  27. Quote:

The most elaborate mathematical demonstration is worthess if based on a wrong hypothesis.
  28. duh
  29. Is the Ultra120 plus on sale yet? Does it fit inside the Antec900 case or the Thermaltake Armor case, even with their sidefans installed?
  30. looks like ill be switching my tuniq out for this one as soon it comes out.
  31. what are your temps now?
  32. Quote:
    what are your temps now?

idle at 30c max load at 46C. i know getting this cooler will only drop the temps a few degrees more from the tuniq but i just wanna have the lowest possible temps with air cooling cause i plan to take my overclock even further once i get some different memory.
  33. anyone know the release date on this new cooler?
  34. Are these temps accurate, do you think? Zalman cooler outperforming an Infinity?
  35. If you are loading at 46C now, you have at least one (0.125) maybe two (0.250) voltage increases before your temps start hindering your OC...
  36. Nothing wrong with a 6600 Oc'd to 3.0ghz @ 100c
  37. :? He has an E6400 and it's at 3.2ghz and only 46C...
  38. zalmann is garbage. get a tuniq, schythe or thermalright.
  39. Quote:
    Nothing wrong with a 6600 Oc'd to 3.0ghz @ 100c

for sure. :)
  40. Quote:
    If you are loading at 46C now, you have at least one (0.125) maybe two (0.250) voltage increases before your temps start hindering your OC...

yeah thats what i was thinking, my memory is holding me back right now, 667 :( , but soon ill have some 800. i still wanna get the thermalright just to have the best though.
  41. Ah didn't see you had 667 memory.

It's your call but for ~$60 and a gain or loss of a couple degrees isn't worth it to me. Are you running at 1:1 right now?
  42. Once, I had a band, and at band camp I over clocked by trombone to 144db. Funny thing is, I got banned from band camp; how ironic.

/end random story
  43. Quote:
    Ah didn't see you had 667 memory.

It's your call but for ~$60 and a gain or loss of a couple degrees isn't worth it to me. Are you running at 1:1 right now?

yeah its 1:1.
  44. Actually speaking of review site I have always liked hardocp and then probably anandtech. toms has the best forums though. 8)
  45. Tuniq Tower 120+ anyone :lol: .
  46. That cooler is taller than Mid tower specs. Unless you have a cube case or open case seems rather pointless.
  47. I have a tuniq tower 120 and it fits in my mid tower. That is if your referring to me.
  48. Quote:
    That cooler is taller than Mid tower specs. Unless you have a cube case or open case seems rather pointless.

ByDesign, the Tuniq Tower 120+ doesn't exist, therefore you can't claim that it doesn't fit in mid-tower case.

LX_Flier's remark was that Sunbeam should work on an improved version of the Tuniq Tower 120, in order to compete with the excellent new air coolers coming out on the market.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Monster Cooling CPUs Tuniq Thermalright Overclocking Product