NFL football on FOX

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 8, 2004 7:01:19 PM

Fox announced they would show *some*
of their NFL games in "HDTV" (720 scans/frame actually)
this season. Anyone know how to find out ahead of time
which games will be in hi def, and which in lo def?

Jeff B

More about : nfl football fox

Anonymous
September 8, 2004 7:01:20 PM

Jeff B wrote:

> Fox announced they would show *some*
> of their NFL games in "HDTV" (720 scans/frame actually)
> this season. Anyone know how to find out ahead of time
> which games will be in hi def, and which in lo def?
>
> Jeff B

Jeff:

The FOX HD NFL story is developing.....

FOX has mostly 6, sometimes 7 NFL games every Sunday.

FOX has plans to purchase 6 new HDTV Studio Trucks...

The first FOX HD NFL showings are this Sunday...

As of Sunday.... We should all know how many of

the planned 6 HD trucks are delivered and in Action...

The FOX HD NFL games should be shown OTA (over the

Air antenna) and by two of the Dish Satellite systems.

Question: Which, if any, of the Cable Systems Show FOX HD ?
(Knowing that FOX HD 1st begins on this Sunday.)
We are Not talking FOX Sports Net/North here....

PS: I hear that CBS HD Sports rents, not owns, their
their HDTV Studio trucks which implies that
the number of HD trucks available can vary
by week...
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 10:27:31 PM

Dennis Mayer <Polaris1@execpc.com> wrote in

> Jeff B wrote:
>>
>> Fox announced they would show *some*
>> of their NFL games in "HDTV" (720 scans/frame actually)
>> this season. Anyone know how to find out ahead of time
>> which games will be in hi def, and which in lo def?
>>
>> Jeff B
>

> Jeff:
>
> The FOX HD NFL story is developing.....
>
> FOX has mostly 6, sometimes 7 NFL games every Sunday.
>
> FOX has plans to purchase 6 new HDTV Studio Trucks...
>
> The first FOX HD NFL showings are this Sunday...
>
> As of Sunday.... We should all know how many of
>
> the planned 6 HD trucks are delivered and in Action...
>
> The FOX HD NFL games should be shown OTA (over the
>
> Air antenna) and by two of the Dish Satellite systems.
>
> Question: Which, if any, of the Cable Systems Show FOX HD ?
> (Knowing that FOX HD 1st begins on this Sunday.)
> We are Not talking FOX Sports Net/North here....
>

> PS: I hear that CBS HD Sports rents, not owns, their
> their HDTV Studio trucks which implies that
> the number of HD trucks available can vary
> by week...

Comcast in Sacramento just added the local Fox digital channel on 9/1.
They also added Fox Sports Net in HD sharing a channel with Discovery
HD.

Mike
September 9, 2004 1:20:59 AM

>Fox announced they would show *some*
>of their NFL games in "HDTV" (720 scans/frame actually)
>this season. Anyone know how to find out ahead of time
>which games will be in hi def, and which in lo def?
>
>Jeff B

Change *some* to *most* or *almost all.*

Based on what I have read, Fox will offer up to 6 games a week in HDTV. That
means if Fox has 7 games, one of them will not be in HD. The 7th game is
usually the worst matchup and only shown in the home area of the two teams
playing.
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 3:43:13 AM

Jeff B (fake@addy.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> Fox announced they would show *some*
> of their NFL games in "HDTV" (720 scans/frame actually)
> this season. Anyone know how to find out ahead of time
> which games will be in hi def, and which in lo def?

See http://www.directvsports.com/Schedules/Packages/NFLSund... for
the list.

Without NFLST, you won't get all of those, of course, but the ones with
HD channels listed should be available OTA *somewhere* in HD.

--
Jeff Rife | "I have a question that could affect our entire
SPAM bait: | relationship...did you kill Coach Mattay?"
| "Yeah."
| "Just checking."
| -- Alex Lambert and Brian Hackett, "Wings"
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 3:55:28 AM

> The first FOX HD NFL showings are this Sunday...
>
> As of Sunday.... We should all know how many of
>
> the planned 6 HD trucks are delivered and in Action...

Oh gee, what useful information! we will all know on Sunday what is
happening on Sunday!
Is there a way of finding out *BEFORE*
Sunday? That is the question I'm asking. If your answer
is 'no', then a simple 'no' would have sufficed.

Jeff B
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 4:01:11 AM

> Change *some* to *most* or *almost all.*
>
> Based on what I have read, Fox will offer up to 6 games a week in HDTV.

Fox offered "up to" 6 HD games a week last year, zero being
"up to" 6.

> That
> means if Fox has 7 games, one of them will not be in HD.

No, it doesn't mean that at all. It means 6 games OR LESS will
be in HD.

My question stands, is there a way a finding out which will be
in HD, and which will be in lo def BEFORE Sunday?

Jeff B
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 4:01:12 AM

Jeff B wrote:
> My question stands, is there a way a finding out which will be
> in HD, and which will be in lo def BEFORE Sunday?

You can always register on TitanTV.com and check the listings
in your area for what games will be on and which will be available
in HD. As of 5 PM CST today my area shows the Cowboys vs
Vikings game to be available in HD this Sunday on Fox.

--
Brian The Demolition Man Little
TNAImpact.com Admin

>Fox offered "up to" 6 HD games a week last year, zero being
>"up to" 6.

Nope. Fox offered games in "widescreen digital" - not HD. This is the first
year they've done anything in HD at all. This weekend is the grand debut from
what I have read.

>> That
>> means if Fox has 7 games, one of them will not be in HD.
>
>No, it doesn't mean that at all. It means 6 games OR LESS will
>be in HD.

Oy. This is a matter of symantics. Yes, there are some weekends when Fox will
not have 6 games to broadcast. In that case, all of the games they broadcast
will be in HD - but it won't be six games. It might be 5. Most weekends Fox
will have 7 games and 6 of them will be in HD.

>My question stands, is there a way a finding out which will be
>in HD, and which will be in lo def BEFORE Sunday?

I'm not sure what I can tell you about that. I would suggest looking at
titantv.com or perhaps going to the foxsports.com website. Last year they had
a pretty good list in advance of which markets were getting which games. They
ranked the games 1-7. 1 was the big national game, 7 was the bottom of the
pile and sent to the fewest households.
September 9, 2004 1:17:52 PM

+1, even the Lions vs. Bears game is in HD this weekend. Can't wait!

:D
> Jeff B (fake@addy.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
>> Fox announced they would show *some*
>> of their NFL games in "HDTV" (720 scans/frame actually)
>> this season. Anyone know how to find out ahead of time
>> which games will be in hi def, and which in lo def?
>
> See http://www.directvsports.com/Schedules/Packages/NFLSund... for
> the list.
>
> Without NFLST, you won't get all of those, of course, but the ones with
> HD channels listed should be available OTA *somewhere* in HD.
>
> --
> Jeff Rife | "I have a question that could affect our entire
> SPAM bait: | relationship...did you kill Coach Mattay?"
> AskDOJ@usdoj.gov | "No!"
> spam@ftc.gov | "But, you did dress him up like a woman...?"
> | "Yeah."
> | "Just checking."
> | -- Alex Lambert and Brian Hackett, "Wings"
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 7:53:43 PM

Brian The Demolition Man Little wrote:

> Jeff B wrote:
>
>>My question stands, is there a way a finding out which will be
>>in HD, and which will be in lo def BEFORE Sunday?
>

> You can always register on TitanTV.com and check the listings
> in your area for what games will be on and which will be available
> in HD. As of 5 PM CST today my area shows the Cowboys vs
> Vikings game to be available in HD this Sunday on Fox.

I use Titantv all the time, but it is pretty much
worthless as a predictor of HD progs except for
regularly scheduled prime time shows like CSI, etc.
For example, the US open is shown to be in lo def
on TitanTv in my area, and all the Home Depot sponsored
SEC college football games on CBS were predicted to be in
lo def last year by Titan. Even HD movies on CBS
are frequently listed as lo def on Titan.
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 9:05:55 PM

in HD and 5.1 to boot
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 11:13:39 PM

"Jeff B" <fake@addy.com> wrote in message
> Fox announced they would show *some*
> of their NFL games in "HDTV" (720 scans/frame actually)
> this season. Anyone know how to find out ahead of time
> which games will be in hi def, and which in lo def?
>
> Jeff B

It seems as though, with both CBS and Fox, it is going to be a week to week
matchup that gauges which games will be shown in HD. It seems like they know
the next two weeks or so (I've seen listings regarding HD for up to the
third week of the season) but are going to be deciding which games will be
covered in HD according to how the season is going after that.
Unfortunately, Arizona is apparently not enough of an interest nationally to
put my Pats on in HD next week (CBS) but I must say that it looked
spectacular this past Thursday against the Colts.

As an aside, can anyone stand it when a player (in this case a kicker, no
less) says something like, "Yeah, we didn't play well. It's obvious that
they weren't the better team." Vanderjagt said that after blowing the kick
and sealing the loss thursday night. Kordell said something similar ("the
best team didn't win this game") after the AFC championship in 2001 (Pats
first Superbowl win). All they really sound like is idiots.
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 1:11:41 AM

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 19:13:39 GMT, "mr E" <jimmmmmmmm@jim.com> wrote:

>"Jeff B" <fake@addy.com> wrote in message
>> Fox announced they would show *some*
>> of their NFL games in "HDTV" (720 scans/frame actually)
>> this season. Anyone know how to find out ahead of time
>> which games will be in hi def, and which in lo def?
>>
>> Jeff B
>>

>It seems as though, with both CBS and Fox, it is going to be a week to week
>matchup that gauges which games will be shown in HD. It seems like they know
>the next two weeks or so (I've seen listings regarding HD for up to the
>third week of the season) but are going to be deciding which games will be
>covered in HD according to how the season is going after that.
>Unfortunately, Arizona is apparently not enough of an interest nationally to
>put my Pats on in HD next week (CBS) but I must say that it looked
>spectacular this past Thursday against the Colts.
>
>As an aside, can anyone stand it when a player (in this case a kicker, no
>less) says something like, "Yeah, we didn't play well. It's obvious that
>they weren't the better team." Vanderjagt said that after blowing the kick
>and sealing the loss thursday night. Kordell said something similar ("the
>best team didn't win this game") after the AFC championship in 2001 (Pats
>first Superbowl win). All they really sound like is idiots.

Actually, it was Manning who lost it for them, and he knows. He let
himself get sacked which took them from the 17 to the 29 yard line
leaving Vanderjagt with a pretty tough field goal instead of an easy
kick to at least tie the game. Well, he tried for the end-zone, but
jeesh, he should have avoided that sack at all cost.
I would not pin this medal on Vanderjagt. Give that to Peyton, IMHO
Still, I agree with you, a pretty poor comment to make after that
game. Even if it wasn't his cross to bear.
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 6:03:12 AM

<<As an aside, can anyone stand it when a player (in this case a kicker, no
less) says something like, "Yeah, we didn't play well. It's obvious that
they weren't the better team." Vanderjagt said that after blowing the kick
and sealing the loss thursday night. Kordell said something similar ("the
best team didn't win this game") after the AFC championship in 2001 (Pats
first Superbowl win). All they really sound like is idiots.>>

And they always seem to be saying it about the Patriots. Some Oakland
players did after the snow bowl game and someone on Carolina did last year
after the Superbowl. It's amazing how often the Pats keep beating teams
that are "better" than they are.

Lee

January 19, 2005 3:05:44 PM

Philip B Kirschner wrote:

> You are forgetting it's a mandate. By 2007 it has to be HD.

There is no mandate for a date certain nor HD.

Matthew
January 19, 2005 3:23:09 PM

"Matthew L. Martin" <nothere@notnow.never> wrote in message
> Philip B Kirschner wrote:
>
>> You are forgetting it's a mandate. By 2007 it has to be HD.
>>

> There is no mandate for a date certain nor HD.
>
> Matthew

The mandate is for all broadcast to be digital.
Bob
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 12:34:17 PM

"Bob" <luna5nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message

"Matthew L. Martin" <nothere@notnow.never> wrote in message
> Philip B Kirschner wrote:
>
>> You are forgetting it's a mandate. By 2007 it has to be HD.
>>

> There is no mandate for a date certain nor HD.
>
> Matthew

The mandate is for all broadcast to be digital.
Bob

--------
Digital is not necessarily HD.

Bill