boot from san

Hi All,
One of my customers has the following configuration:

Hardware:

Servers – Dell Poweredge 2650 (Raid5, Perc 3/Di RAID Controller)
SAN – EMC Clariion CX300i iSCSI based SAN storage unit,

For booting these servers from SAN arrays we will be using HBA Qlogic
QLA4010C adapters.

Software:

Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition with SP1, Symantec LiveState Recovery
Advanced Server 3 ver. 3.0.03427 installed

The system drive is on the local perc 3/di raid. he used symantec livestate
to do a one on one imaging to the e:(which is on san). Now, with the local
raid plugged in, he can boot off the san. The hba bios has been enabled to
boot from SAN. But as soon as he unpluggs the local raid, he is not able to
boot from san and recieves "Windows could not start because of a computer
disk hardware configuration problem". I have checked the boot.ini with and
without local raid. I'll really appreciate your help.

Lukesh

Hi,

You say you have checked the boot.ini - when you remove the original boot
controller the boot.ini maybe pointing to a controller that doesn't exist.

Check that the QLOGIC is listed as a bootable device in the server BIOS and
try changing the device boot order to the QLOGIC.

Sorry if you have already done this.

"lukesh" wrote:

> Hi All,
> One of my customers has the following configuration:
>
> Hardware:
>
> Servers – Dell Poweredge 2650 (Raid5, Perc 3/Di RAID Controller)
> SAN – EMC Clariion CX300i iSCSI based SAN storage unit,
>
> For booting these servers from SAN arrays we will be using HBA Qlogic
> QLA4010C adapters.
>
> Software:
>
> Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition with SP1, Symantec LiveState Recovery
> Advanced Server 3 ver. 3.0.03427 installed
>

> The system drive is on the local perc 3/di raid. he used symantec livestate
> to do a one on one imaging to the e:(which is on san). Now, with the local
> raid plugged in, he can boot off the san. The hba bios has been enabled to
> boot from SAN. But as soon as he unpluggs the local raid, he is not able to
> boot from san and recieves "Windows could not start because of a computer
> disk hardware configuration problem". I have checked the boot.ini with and
> without local raid. I'll really appreciate your help.
>
> Lukesh

Hi Niall,
Thanks for your respnse. Yes, I have already done this but no go.

Lukesh