Help With Clustering

Hi

We currently have two servers each with 8 SCSI disks at 2 separate sites
connected by a 10Mbs link, both running Advanced server 2000. We are looking
to purchase a new SCSI raid card for each server that supports clustering as
the raid card in each machine currently doesn’t. Is it possible to cluster
these two machines together using the SCSI H/D’s that are currently installed
in each machine as the shared disk? Or would we need a separate external disk
space such as a NAS?

If we can use the internal SCSI H/D’s as the shared disk space does the
amount of free space need to be equal at both sites so that in effect all
data is mirrored across the two sites?

Thanks
Adam Boote
1 answer Last reply
More about help clustering

    Hi,

    Clustering in the basic sense would require two or more servers with their
    own local boot disk subsystem on which the OS will reside. Together the
    servers share a strorage array such as a SAN like an HP MSA1500 etc on which
    multiple volumes can reside. Each server runs additional cluster software -
    Microsoft or Veritas etc and uses the shared storage for a Quorum (shared
    area for configuration) and data storage such as Microsoft Exchange stores or
    Microsoft SQL databases.
    The servers normally connect to the shared storage array via a very fast
    fibre link - 2GBps or more!.

    As NAS is a file level storage platform and SAN is block level, I'm not sure
    you can use NAS for clustering, likewise the 10Mbps link would not be
    sufficient as A. it is not enough bandwitch and B. it is probably a network
    connection that you don't run the SCSI protocol over (ethernet, frame relay
    etc.)

    Check out this link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/clustering/default.mspx

    Hope this helps.

    "AdamBoote" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > We currently have two servers each with 8 SCSI disks at 2 separate sites
    > connected by a 10Mbs link, both running Advanced server 2000. We are looking
    > to purchase a new SCSI raid card for each server that supports clustering as
    > the raid card in each machine currently doesn’t. Is it possible to cluster
    > these two machines together using the SCSI H/D’s that are currently installed
    > in each machine as the shared disk? Or would we need a separate external disk
    > space such as a NAS?
    >
    > If we can use the internal SCSI H/D’s as the shared disk space does the
    > amount of free space need to be equal at both sites so that in effect all
    > data is mirrored across the two sites?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Adam Boote

NAS / RAID SCSI Servers Windows