G84/G86 Tidbit

I didn't post it but I did see it and my reaction was pretty much the same as yours, especially after all the hoopla nV made about a year ago over the native HDCP support of future nV chips. Commenting on how external HDCP encoding support was a weakness of ATi. Here's slides from that PR/FUD;

hdcpatiyp6.jpg

hdcpnvidiaua6.jpg

The G80 having external I/O [tmds, hdcp,etc] made sense to ensure timely arrival to market, and allow a smaller core, but on the low end, seems they've totally abandoned what they were preaching last summer about shipping support in all future cards. :roll:

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
damn technoligy :x :lol:

i just got an 8800 and havent even got a chance to mess with it much.
still using the dvi to rgb adaptor.

going to try direct dvi this weekend.

oh g.w. called me earlier, am going to meet him at a lan tommorow.
:lol:

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
I'm just glad my card supports HDCP.

thats what im talking about.

dont know or think i can use it with a dvi to rgb adaptor.
i do have a dvi cable but it is on my hd tv and dont want
unhook it.

but im going get one from my moms house this weekend and try it.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
So does this mean it will be up to individual card makers to add HDCP to the board? I'm guessing that's how it works otherwise kiss any Windows Vista "Premium" content (HD) goodbye.

immortel1986

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
G84 supports 3840x2400 resolution

Geforce 8600 GTS / GT have the power
It looks like that resolutions are doomed to grow. An average gamer plays on the 19 inch 1280x1024 display, some lucky ones have 1650x1080 resolutions on their big wide sceens and only a few rich ones can afford a 30 inch display and pay up to $2000 for 2650x1600 resolution.
The new Nvidia card will let you play at 3840 × 2400 but only at 30 Hz which is two times 1900x1200 resolution. I am not aware of any display or device that can bennefit from this Dual link DVI-I output but obviously there will be a purpouse for such a resolution. It is a cool pixel number but un cool refresh rate as you need at least 60 Hz to make your eyes feel good.
In worst case scenario it is a nice tick box feature, that you can state on the box and impress anyone.
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=102&Itemid=34

MSantos

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Read carefully:
All G84 and G86 except G84-P400 would have no HDCP and native HDMI support on this release.

G84-P400 (8600GTS) will have HDCP and HDMI right away, and a later G84-305 will get it too.

So does this mean it will be up to individual card makers to add HDCP to the board? I'm guessing that's how it works otherwise kiss any Windows Vista "Premium" content (HD) goodbye.

Yep, and with the external I/O module like the GF8800 it will be somewhat simple, but still more expensive per card than including it in the die. Overall nV would save money if they think a large enough number of users (greater than the majority IMO) won't care about HDCP/HDMI, which is likely the case.
Now they could simply return to the old method like ATi or the G72, but it is funny in light of their previous statments.

nvioqm7.jpg

chip_nvio.jpg

G84 supports 3840x2400 resolution

Geforce 8600 GTS / GT have the power

You obviously don't know what I'm talking about when I say "DualLink HDCP" support, by reposting Fuad's comments. He's talking about the limits of Dual-Link, which technically has always been available if the VPU makers wanted to support such a resolution. I'm talking about the HDCP on the dual-link signal which is the subject here.

And no the GF8600 doesn't have the power to do anything more than 2D and rudementary workstation 3D at that resolution especially with 128bit memory, no gaming at that resolution, other than minesweeper and chess.

Read carefully:
All G84 and G86 except G84-P400 would have no HDCP and native HDMI support on this release.

G84-P400 (8600GTS) will have HDCP and HDMI right away, and a later G84-305 will get it too.

Understand carefully, we get the 'selectivity' of HDCP, however you miss the PR crap of the previous generation as to HDCP, including the hyping of the GX2 being the first universal HDCP part, and this being the future of nV's products, which is obviously not the case.

Just like Dual-Link DVI in the past, how many people do you think are going to know which is which if all they have is a generic online description, similar to the issues with the GF7300/7600/7900GS-H versions, and ATi's selective X1300 and X1600s, with later integrated support in the X1650XT and X1950Pro/GT.

All the hype of the end of the last generation was HDCP, now the mid-range of the GF8600 turns it back into the 'supports HDCP' fiasco;

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_nvidia_hdcp_support/

It didn't really matter when the article was written, but now it's definitely becoming more relevant with the content being out there already.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
This is really annoying. I've got my main PC built fine, but I'm looking to build my first HTPC. The E4300 is great for this - very cool - but the graphics maufacturers are dragging their heels. We were all supposed to have our PCs running all household media by the start of this century, and whilst I don't follwo those timescales, I'm still thwarted by issues such as this.

Frustrating.

Yeah, l know, it didn't matter last year when this story broke, but now, it's a big deal.

My personal nuisance on this is I can't get information from any of the laptop builders on which GFGO7600GS or GFGO7900GS they have in their rigs, and the level of HDCP support. Because I want external BLuRay and the Xbox HD-DVD, and they need HDCP chaing for full resolution playback. It's a pain to have to track this stuff, down and I know what I'm looking for, but the PR guys (especially HP and Gateway) just don't know crap about their hardware.

So I'd prefer to know all of XYZ supports HDCP rather than X, but not Y and Z and you guess which is which; therefore you have to hunt for support.

pauldh

Illustrious
And no the GF8600 doesn't have the power to do anything more than 2D and rudementary workstation 3D at that resolution especially with 128bit memory, no gaming at that resolution, other than minesweeper and chess.
Soon find out if the 8800GTS can handle 38x10.
scared009.gif

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
HDCP is bullshit anyway, along with the whole Protected Video Path crap.

We are being sold items on the basis of HDCP support, a "feature" that does not benefit us in any way, it benefits movie studios.

I'll be using my DVI repeater and/or AnyDVD HD to strip HDCP thanks :)

Anyone notice that the need for protected audio path drivers in vista has made Plantronics USB headsets sound like shit under vista? *Sigh* I dont even USE hd content and I'm screwed by hollywood.

HDCP is bullshit anyway, along with the whole Protected Video Path crap.

We are being sold items on the basis of HDCP support, a "feature" that does not benefit us in any way, it benefits movie studios.

You miss my point obviously. I'm NOT pro-DRM I just know what I need in order to do what I want to do.

OK, however are you implying I should rip my 30-50GB HDDVDs to my laptop instead of simply playing them on the extremely cheap Xbox HD-DVD player. That really gets tedious after a while. I already rip DVD and CDs at will, but I also pay for them, and until BR and HD media is cheap I don't care about AnyDVD other than as a proof of concept, HD space is too precious. It's just like CDs and DVDs before them. I have usually been ahead of the curve, and it's never been practical to copy them at first. I might rip a movie occasionally, but that'll likely be for when I travel and I'd rather leave the HD-DVD player behind.

Anyone notice that the need for protected audio path drivers in vista has made Plantronics USB headsets sound like **** under vista? *Sigh* I dont even USE hd content and I'm screwed by hollywood.

Well I don't bother with Vista because of DRM, but regardless of program you need and HD drive if you want free access to the HD content without the hassle. SO instead of monkeying around, I'd rather simply keep all the options open to me.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
oh g.w. called me earlier, am going to meet him at a lan tommorow.
:lol:

wth! I wasnt invited?? your so fired! there's the door :arrow: :arrow:

g.w. broke my $hit

**he isnt around is he** :lol:

just hooked my computer up and got through with
yakin on the phone with m$=windows activation :x

i might have jarred my pc and fukced my hdd
leaving the lan party.

it appears to be dead :x

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005

OK, however are you implying I should rip my 30-50GB HDDVDs to my laptop instead of simply playing them on the extremely cheap Xbox HD-DVD player. That really gets tedious after a while. I already rip DVD and CDs at will, but I also pay for them, and until BR and HD media is cheap I don't care about AnyDVD other than as a proof of concept, HD space is too precious. It's just like CDs and DVDs before them. I have usually been ahead of the curve, and it's never been practical to copy them at first. I might rip a movie occasionally, but that'll likely be for when I travel and I'd rather leave the HD-DVD player behind.

AnyDVD HD allows the playback of protected HD-DVDs on non-HDCP compliant hardware directly, no ripping involved.

It does also allow you to rip them, but it is also usefull for straight playback.

I myself have been very tempted to pick up one of those Xbox360 HD-DVD drives :)

It is my opinion that the existence of AnyDVD HD, the fact that it is already possible to backup Xbox360 games and HD-DVDs, and the pricepoint of the Xbox360 HD-DVD drive, will eventually lead to HD-DVD winning over Blu-Ray ;)

Its ironic that my local computer store had noticed a massive increase in demand for the previously pointless and overpriced DVD±R DL disks recently. He laughed when I pointed out this was more than likely due to the fact that they were needed for Xbox360 backups....

Piracy is often the catalyst for tecnological adoption in the marketplace imho.

I really dont think HDCP will matter in the long term, by the time the movie studios force us to use HDCP outputs (didnt they say 2010?) it will be so totally cracked as to be irrelevent, just as CSS was.

AnyDVD HD allows the playback of protected HD-DVDs on non-HDCP compliant hardware directly, no ripping involved.

Ah OK, that's a good feature I hadn't seen in the description, real-time DRM suppression. The only thing that concerns me long term is the ability to change the encryption, so I'd still prefer the safety of HDCP enabled chip anyways. (Also the HDMI out is nice on the HPs). But it's good to know that it's no longer just stripping the AACS protection. I might buy the XboxDVD for this laptop then.

It is my opinion that the existence of AnyDVD HD, the fact that it is already possible to backup Xbox360 games and HD-DVDs, and the pricepoint of the Xbox360 HD-DVD drive, will eventually lead to HD-DVD winning over Blu-Ray ;)

Well you can also back up BluRay, but I agree HD-DVD is doing well. The thing is Sony is low balling BR pricing and dumping availability, which is helping them somewhat. I keep an eye on this site every one in a while to get a feel for it all;

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/

Piracy is often the catalyst for tecnological adoption in the marketplace imho.

Sometimes, but it can also work against it depending on the model used, and what we're talking about. Sometimes good technology gets held back because of the fear of un checked piracy. The adoption of DVD burners increases, but it's not really a technology that was in need of a champion IMO.

I'm for freeing up the right of the people but I'm not a champion for pirates who've never bought a DVD in their life, nor would they even if they were 99 cents. Too many of those leeches in the pool ruins the system for everyone. I like to think of the casual and selective pirate as those who tend to keep prices low, those that just steal have no impact on prices, because half the price wouldn't tempt them to buy so why bother.

I really dont think HDCP will matter in the long term, by the time the movie studios force us to use HDCP outputs (didnt they say 2010?) it will be so totally cracked as to be irrelevent, just as CSS was.

Hopefully, but seeing as this new laptop I buy, like all those before it (save those pre-386) have been, will be sold or given to firends/family, I would like it to be ready for that eventuality to if it's not at too great a cost. I'd pay $25 more for HDCP ready/capable as a precaution, and +$50 for HDMI 1.2+ support (or +$100 if they could do HDMI 1.3 with integrated audio out [ala R600 rumours]) just for the convenience. Heck I'd pay a hefty premium for DisplyPort support already. The problem is these features usually come with a ton of crap I don't want, nor have any interest in paying for, especially the crap memory and mediocre HDD options they come with. At least the AnyDVD option let's me focus more on the things I need for editing and gaming.