Delete Linux from dual boot

How do I delete/uninstall the linux from my dual boot ?
9 answers Last reply
More about delete linux dual boot

    Uninstall GRUB/LILO and recover MBR booting into Recovery Console off
    Windows CD and using the *fixmbr* command, maybe *fixboot*. Run *map*
    beforehand. Then delete and recreate former Linux partitions.
    If you use NT loader already then edit the %systemdrive%\boot.ini file and
    delete the lines related to Linux via Windows Explorer or System
    Properties/Advanced/Startup & Recovery, button Edit within System startup
    area.

    If you're on W2k, there is no Edit button.

    They are "MS DOS" W2k and XP recovery console commands. Google will
    bring up the MS help etc info for them both.

    WoofWoof wrote:

    > I keep seing references to fixboot and fixmbr lately. Where do I find
    > these commands? They don't seem to be anywhere on my HD or the Win2K
    > install CD.
    >
    > Jetro wrote:
    >
    >> Uninstall GRUB/LILO and recover MBR booting into Recovery Console off
    >> Windows CD and using the *fixmbr* command, maybe *fixboot*. Run *map*
    >> beforehand. Then delete and recreate former Linux partitions.
    >> If you use NT loader already then edit the %systemdrive%\boot.ini file
    >> and delete the lines related to Linux via Windows Explorer or System
    >> Properties/Advanced/Startup & Recovery, button Edit within System
    >> startup area.

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups

    Maybe my sources - several MS help pages - were wrong or I misread 'em.
    But if they're DOS commands, I think their code would be buried in the
    DOS command interpreter, no? They'd not be separate named files...

    Sorry if I've misled you.

    >>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

    Dan Seur wrote:
    > Maybe my sources - several MS help pages - were wrong or I misread 'em.
    > But if they're DOS commands, I think their code would be buried in the
    > DOS command interpreter, no? They'd not be separate named files...

    Oh no ... most (by far) dos commands were (are)
    separate .com or .exe files. Only a few most
    basic, necessary commands were built into the
    command interpreter (DIR, DEL, REN CD MD RD COPY
    PATH VER TYPE ... can't think of any others).

    The CMD 32-bit command interpreter may have
    expanded on that a little but I wouldn't think by
    much.

    > Sorry if I've misled you.

    No problem, Dan. You've been more than helful in
    the past. I'd sure still like to find out about
    fixboot and fixmbr though. Might help me with a
    little current problem.

    I'l have to dig around a bit more.

    > WoofWoof wrote:
    >
    >> I have the win2K recovery console installed (as a boot menu item) but
    >> it still doesn't seem to be there.
    >>
    >> Dan Seur wrote:
    >>
    >>> They are "MS DOS" W2k and XP recovery console commands. Google will
    >>> bring up the MS help etc info for them both.

    >> News==----
    >> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    >> 120,000+ Newsgroups
    >> =----

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Dan Seur wrote:
    > Maybe my sources - several MS help pages - were wrong or I misread 'em.
    > But if they're DOS commands, I think their code would be buried in the
    > DOS command interpreter, no? They'd not be separate named files...
    >
    > Sorry if I've misled you.
    >
    > WoofWoof wrote:
    >
    >> I have the win2K recovery console installed (as a boot menu item) but
    >> it still doesn't seem to be there.

    Dan, on further investigation I think you may have
    been effectively right in the first place. Since I
    have the recovery console installed as a boot
    menue item, I simply looked in the console
    directory in the HD, assuming that fixboot and
    fixmbr were external commands.

    I believe now that they are, as you hinted at,
    built in to the recovery console command
    interpreter (but not the regular cmd command
    interpreter). As such, they would only be
    accessible by actually running the command
    interpreter.

    I think this is probably what you meant and I
    misinterpreted it.

    (So the other recent poster who wants to put them
    onto a floppy/CD would be SOL. Unless anyone knows
    of a way of firing up the command console as a
    standalone from a removable media without going
    through all the lengthy hassle of booting the
    install cd and finding something to occupy the
    time while it's "doing it's thing" That would
    actually be quite useful. Wonder if there's any
    way to add it to a Bart's Boot Disk).
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Woof - thanx for that graceful prior post, absolution is refreshing
    whether needed or not. I enjoyed "helful" too :-)

    I have no idea what the structure of recovery console is, what exactly
    is invoked, and what if any portions are actually shared with the main
    OS set...and what I suggested was pretty much a stab in the dark,
    assisted by the uniform web-page prominent notices that these 2
    functions are available only thru recovery console.

    Someone designing/building a "recovery console" would probably want to
    keep the loaded code structurally pretty simple, even monolithic, maybe,
    perhaps, possibly? One CRC fits all...? Nah, that's TOO simple.

    But then, so am I.

    WoofWoof wrote:

    > Dan Seur wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe my sources - several MS help pages - were wrong or I misread 'em.
    >> But if they're DOS commands, I think their code would be buried in the
    >> DOS command interpreter, no? They'd not be separate named files...
    >>
    >> Sorry if I've misled you.
    >>
    >> WoofWoof wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have the win2K recovery console installed (as a boot menu item) but
    >>> it still doesn't seem to be there.
    >

    > Dan, on further investigation I think you may have been effectively
    > right in the first place. Since I have the recovery console installed as
    > a boot menue item, I simply looked in the console directory in the HD,
    > assuming that fixboot and fixmbr were external commands.
    >
    > I believe now that they are, as you hinted at, built in to the recovery
    > console command interpreter (but not the regular cmd command
    > interpreter). As such, they would only be accessible by actually running
    > the command interpreter.
    >
    > I think this is probably what you meant and I misinterpreted it.
    >
    > (So the other recent poster who wants to put them onto a floppy/CD would
    > be SOL. Unless anyone knows of a way of firing up the command console as
    > a standalone from a removable media without going through all the
    > lengthy hassle of booting the install cd and finding something to occupy
    > the time while it's "doing it's thing" That would actually be quite
    > useful. Wonder if there's any way to add it to a Bart's Boot Disk).
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Dan Seur wrote:
    > Woof - thanx for that graceful prior post, absolution is refreshing
    > whether needed or not. I enjoyed "helful" too :-)

    Oh gosh, darn. My regular typing finger got tired
    and I used another (less experienced) one. I'll
    have words with it.

    > I have no idea what the structure of recovery console is, what exactly
    > is invoked, and what if any portions are actually shared with the main
    > OS set...and what I suggested was pretty much a stab in the dark,
    > assisted by the uniform web-page prominent notices that these 2
    > functions are available only thru recovery console.

    > Someone designing/building a "recovery console" would probably want to
    > keep the loaded code structurally pretty simple, even monolithic, maybe,
    > perhaps, possibly? One CRC fits all...? Nah, that's TOO simple.

    It certainly would be nice if you could get to
    this from a bootable CD without all the loading
    "overhead" of the install CD.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    We have that NT/HAL-related "overhead" loading either RC or WinPE or ERD
    Commander or just running setup. I believe when MS would decide that fixing
    either MBR or Partition Table is not so destructive anymore it would provide
    fixmbr and fixboot as separate 16-bit executables.

Dual Boot Microsoft Linux Windows