Help with Mbd change= HD will not boot in new NF7-S ver 2 ..

Help needed. Both my P3 Mbds died. And I am trying to move my old
IDE drives over to a new Motherboards Abit NF7's with AMD XP M cpu's.
I need to be able to use all the existing programs.

But I can't get the HD to boot fully into W2k. The starting progress
bar gets 2/3 across and then.... BSOD. I tried the repair/update W2k
from my CD, but all I get now is this error at the same place when I
try to boot it.
Stop: 0x0000001E (0xc0000005, 0xEB4617B6, 0x00000000, ox00000028)
KMODE_Exception_Not Handled

A search of the MSDN KB shows this related link, but it refers to
having to call to get a hotfix???
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;839427
They want $100 to $240 for a call and maybe they don't charge? "if the
update solves the problem". But the symptoms don't fit my situation
exactly. And that is expensive.

I really need these drives working. All my software and data is on
them. To reinstall everything and find all the indivdual preogram
registration keys for years of stuff is not even possible.

There has to be a simple way to do this Mbd change. What am I missing
here??

Tried TechNet, but after doing the setup repair thing I have asked
again there and no answers.
tia
4 answers Last reply
More about help change boot

    Hotfixes are always free.

    How to Move a Windows Installation to Different Hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=249694

    HOW TO: Replace the Motherboard on a Computer That Is Running Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=824125

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Acc7" wrote:
    | Help needed. Both my P3 Mbds died. And I am trying to move my old
    | IDE drives over to a new Motherboards Abit NF7's with AMD XP M cpu's.
    | I need to be able to use all the existing programs.
    |
    | But I can't get the HD to boot fully into W2k. The starting progress
    | bar gets 2/3 across and then.... BSOD. I tried the repair/update W2k
    | from my CD, but all I get now is this error at the same place when I
    | try to boot it.
    | Stop: 0x0000001E (0xc0000005, 0xEB4617B6, 0x00000000, ox00000028)
    | KMODE_Exception_Not Handled
    |
    | A search of the MSDN KB shows this related link, but it refers to
    | having to call to get a hotfix???
    | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;839427
    | They want $100 to $240 for a call and maybe they don't charge? "if the
    | update solves the problem". But the symptoms don't fit my situation
    | exactly. And that is expensive.
    |
    | I really need these drives working. All my software and data is on
    | them. To reinstall everything and find all the indivdual preogram
    | registration keys for years of stuff is not even possible.
    |
    | There has to be a simple way to do this Mbd change. What am I missing
    | here??
    |
    | Tried TechNet, but after doing the setup repair thing I have asked
    | again there and no answers.
    | tia

    Dave Patrick

    Thank you for your reply. I have gotten the KB articles you
    referenced and will work thru them. Maybe I can get somewhere
    tomorrow with this.

    The help is appreciated.

    Acc7

    >Hotfixes are always free.
    >
    >How to Move a Windows Installation to Different Hardware
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?id=249694
    >
    >HOW TO: Replace the Motherboard on a Computer That Is Running Windows
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?id=824125

    You're welcome. Good luck.

    --

    "Acc7" wrote:
    | Dave Patrick
    |
    | Thank you for your reply. I have gotten the KB articles you
    | referenced and will work thru them. Maybe I can get somewhere
    | tomorrow with this.
    |
    | The help is appreciated.
    |
    | Acc7

    Well SUCCESS!!!!! It is now working nicely.
    Thanks posters for your help.

    Special THANKS to Airman Thunderbird in the Abit newsgroup
    (Alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit]

    Airman Thunderbird's link for how to instructions worked just fine.
    It is interesting how Windows error messages often have nothing to do
    with the actual problem, though.

    After following the directions in the link the only apparent
    difficulty seems to be that W2k still thinks it has both a NIC card
    and the on board LAN adapters both. But then it says it will not let
    me change or delete the NIC card because it is not presently in the
    system??? But hey, I am posting from the NF7-S ver2 Mbd right now.
    The world is good right now...

    The link used is http://www.mostlycreativeworkshop.com/article11.html

    Hopefully this will be useful to others as well.

    Acc7

Boot Windows