Help me understand Sata ports vs channels

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello, and Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Please be as specific as possible about your MB, and what make and model # HDD's do you want to use?

Is this your Motherboard?

EVGA 141-GT-E770-A1 X58 Classified 3 Motherboard - (LGA 1366, Intel X58, SATA, 3-Way SLI Ready, Ready, Triple Channel DDR3, RAID, with Hyperthreading)

Knowing that, we can give you accurate advice.

Ports and channels are mostly used synonymously. I look at it as a port being the pyhsical port on the motherboard and the channel being the data channel from the chipset to the port.

Check your motherboard manual. Some require that the boot drive is in port 0.

demestrio

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Help with sata connection

My system setting,
Windows 7 home ultimate
motherboard vga 141 gt e770-a1 x58 clasified 3 LGA 1366
processor intel core i7 960 3,20 mhz
Disk drives 2 wd-wd1600aajs 22L7ao SATA
Video card AMD Radeon HD 6950
Memory corsair vengence 12gb pc12800 ddr3 1600MHz

I have two questions
1 is I have one disk drive connect to channel 0 and the other to channel 1, everything is working fine
both drives are regonized by the bios as well in windows,but during the post it says Not physical disk
I would like to know if the disk are connected right.
2 is that the processor is listed 8 times in device manager with the same informations. intel core i7 3,20mhz

I will appreciate your help I wasn't specific on my other post hope now you will understand better.

thaks to all of you.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi again,

If you have your PCH SATA Control mode set to AHCI, when you look in the BIOS, CMOS page, you will see no drives listed in IDE emulation. Usually just after the splash sceen then the BIOS recognizes the drives on specific ports, like Port 0 and Port 1.

Possibly that is what you are asking about. That's normal. Your BIOS pages may be slightly different but the concept is the same