Flash Drive instead of through CD?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Is it possible to setup a server with win2k through Flash Drive instead

<joshidm@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to setup a server with win2k through Flash Drive instead
> of through CD?

This would be entirely up to the hardware....I doubt you can boot from one
or access one in a pre-OS environment. Also, I'd love to know where you
could find a flash memory drive that big!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

http://store.lexar.com/index.cfm?category=23&subcategory=36&productid=JDP2GB-231&bhcp=1

I agree, booting from one would be the challenge.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Dave Patrick" <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
> http://store.lexar.com/index.cfm?category=23&subcategory=36&productid=JDP2GB-231&bhcp=1

Dang, that's pretty amazing. What will they come up with next? :)

> I agree, booting from one would be the challenge.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
> | This would be entirely up to the hardware....I doubt you can boot from
> one
> | or access one in a pre-OS environment. Also, I'd love to know where you
> | could find a flash memory drive that big!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:

> This would be entirely up to the hardware....I doubt you can boot from one
> or access one in a pre-OS environment. Also, I'd love to know where you
> could find a flash memory drive that big!

Oh, I don't know. 512Mb flash drives are common,
1G drives are available fairly easily and I've
seen 4G drives advertised.

A standard CD is only 630Mb and the istall CD
probably doesn't use/need all of that.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I just bought a 5 gB mp3 player for $175 that could also be used but not at
120X

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
| Dang, that's pretty amazing. What will they come up with next? :)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

> Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
> > This would be entirely up to the hardware....I doubt you can boot from one
> > or access one in a pre-OS environment. Also, I'd love to know where you
> > could find a flash memory drive that big!

> WoofWoof wrote:
> Oh, I don't know. 512Mb flash drives are common,
> 1G drives are available fairly easily and I've
> seen 4G drives advertised.
>
> A standard CD is only 630Mb and the istall CD
> probably doesn't use/need all of that.

I am not a technical person, but feel that if way could be found to
boot from flash drive I will not have to lug 2kg of external(USB2) CD
drive with power supply and USB cable everytime I have to go some
distance to set up a server afresh.

Do wish hardware makers make whatever changes necessary to make this
happen.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

In news:1122286825.780707.135610@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,
joshidm@gmail.com <joshidm@gmail.com> had this to say:

>> Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
>>> This would be entirely up to the hardware....I doubt you can boot
>>> from one or access one in a pre-OS environment. Also, I'd love to
>>> know where you could find a flash memory drive that big!
>
>> WoofWoof wrote:
>> Oh, I don't know. 512Mb flash drives are common,
>> 1G drives are available fairly easily and I've
>> seen 4G drives advertised.
>>
>> A standard CD is only 630Mb and the istall CD
>> probably doesn't use/need all of that.
>
> I am not a technical person, but feel that if way could be found to
> boot from flash drive I will not have to lug 2kg of external(USB2) CD
> drive with power supply and USB cable everytime I have to go some
> distance to set up a server afresh.
>
> Do wish hardware makers make whatever changes necessary to make this
> happen.

My newer GigaByte boards (according to the manual - I have not yet tried it)
claims they can boot from USB. Out of the lot of them only the GigaByte
boards that I have seem to support that though they're the only newer boards
I've bought in a while. It wouldn't surprise me if sometime in the distant
future we bought our OS on flash memory?

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

joshidm@gmail.com wrote:

> I am not a technical person, but feel that if way could be found to
> boot from flash drive I will not have to lug 2kg of external(USB2) CD
> drive with power supply and USB cable everytime I have to go some
> distance to set up a server afresh.
>
> Do wish hardware makers make whatever changes necessary to make this
> happen.

My understanding is that this is all dependent on
the bios. Some recent boards do allow booting from
usb flash (and other) devices. In some other
cases the MB manufacturer has provided a bios
update to allow it.

You should check your MB manufacturer's website to
see if a bios upgrade would accomplish this in
your case. It's unlikely though unless the MB is
pretty recent (certainly at least P4 or equivalent
and not the earlier versions of those either). Of
course, if a number of machines are involved (with
differing MBs) you'd likely be out of luck on some
of them anyway.

It is happening but slowly. It was the same in the
past. It was ages after CDR's came out that MB
manufacturers first started including the ability
to boot from CD. Now it's ubiquitous. Same for zip
and similar drives.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

The OS will be quite a way off. At least Windows. Flash memory has limited
writes - and as such Windows (running NTFS) will quite happily burn through
it in no time. However the ability to boot to a recovery environment or do
deployment is possible today, on the right system.

> In news:1122286825.780707.135610@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,
> joshidm@gmail.com <joshidm@gmail.com> had this to say:

>>> WoofWoof wrote:
>>> Oh, I don't know. 512Mb flash drives are common,
>>> 1G drives are available fairly easily and I've
>>> seen 4G drives advertised.
>>>
>>> A standard CD is only 630Mb and the istall CD
>>> probably doesn't use/need all of that.
>>
>> I am not a technical person, but feel that if way could be found to
>> boot from flash drive I will not have to lug 2kg of external(USB2) CD
>> drive with power supply and USB cable everytime I have to go some
>> distance to set up a server afresh.
>>
>> Do wish hardware makers make whatever changes necessary to make this
>> happen.
>
> My newer GigaByte boards (according to the manual - I have not yet tried
> it) claims they can boot from USB. Out of the lot of them only the
> GigaByte boards that I have seem to support that though they're the only
> newer boards I've bought in a while. It wouldn't surprise me if sometime
> in the distant future we bought our OS on flash memory?
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
> without them."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Sure.
Requirements are as follows:
- A server with:
-A BIOS that supports Hi-Speed USB 2.0 at boot time
-A BIOS that supports USB Mass-Storage Class (MSC)
-Hi-Speed USB 2.0 support on the system itself
Systems like the above are not only shipping, but common today. Thing is,
most OEM's aren't pushing the initiative, yet.
You must also have a USB Flash drive with Windows PE on it. You could also
use DOS, but it would be an exercise in torture (dog-slow performance).

Once booted, you can start setup (winnt32) from within WinPE same as from
CD.

The catch-22 here is that unless you already have a license for WinPE (many
do) and you are a system builder or OEM (and thus have the formatting tool
necessary to get WinPE working), or have obtained a specially formatted UFD
from your system builder or OEM, you can't get this working.

UFD (USB Flash Drive) boot has been in development for some time, and as
with any new initiative, must slowly creep into new systems, and can't be
backported into old ones (due generally to the need for Hi-Speed USB 2.0).
Expect better support in "Windows Vista" (gag - hate that name) timeframe
PC's for this.

<joshidm@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to setup a server with win2k through Flash Drive instead
> of through CD?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Thanks, to WM, WoofWoof and others.
Sending your input to my technical bosses. Hope they will do their bit.