Digital Cable ready TV-Tuner cards: when are they coming?

CMenace

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Okay I read what ruel.net wrote up on this: tv.tuner.getting.more.than.125.channels

And I read the press release from Microsoft when they said they were gonna be working on this for Vista: Microsoft and CableLabs Announce Agreement to Enable High-Definition Digital Cable Programming on Windows-Based PCs

But that stuff is old. Vista has been out for a little bit and I haven't heard anything. Whats the status on this? Is it up to cable companies to take the next step? I want to be able to control everything through a PC based solution, I dont want to run my digital cable through my cable box. When are we going to start to see TV cards that address this? When will I be able to do this?

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Cool your jets, bud. It's not gonna be that fun, if and when the CableMongers decide to facilitate this. You can bet that card will be released through the Cable conglomerates, and you won't own it -- you'll rent it from them on a monthly basis, just like you pay with something like T!VO. And if MicroVole has their hand in it, you'll have to wait even longer for the software to get authored, and then patched. Best to do the end-around in the meantime. Cheers.