How to boot-debug to fix Multi-booting win2000 logical par..

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.pl.comp.os.linux.knoppix,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I can't get Grub to boot win2000, imaged from the first pri. NTFS
partition, to install in a logical NTFS partition, or even a 2nd/3rd
pri. partition.

I can boot the restored W2K image with an NT boot floppy, with modified
boot.ini to point to the new partition, with the HKLM\system\mounted
devices key changed however.

So I ran fixboot in the recovery console to restore the partitions boot
sector, but that didn't help either.

I read something about a problem with the Linux 2.6 kernel, qtparted &
partimage having disk geometry problems.

I'd druther not re-install and re-image my partitions. I need Grub, not
the NT boot-loader.

What tools can I use to debug and trace the MBR & partition boot sector?

Scott

--
**********************************

DIY Piezo-Gyro, PCB Drill Bot & More Soon!
http://home.comcast.net/~scottxs/

POLITICS, n.
A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles.
The conduct of public affairs for private advantage. - Ambrose Bierce

Don't ever give up what you want in life. The struggle is worth it - Ayn
Rand

**********************************
1 answer Last reply
More about boot debug multi booting win2000 logical
  1. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.pl.comp.os.linux.knoppix,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Scott Stephens wrote:

    > I can't get Grub to boot win2000, imaged from the first pri. NTFS
    > partition, to install in a logical NTFS partition, or even a 2nd/3rd
    > pri. partition.
    >
    > I can boot the restored W2K image with an NT boot floppy, with modified
    > boot.ini to point to the new partition, with the HKLM\system\mounted
    > devices key changed however.
    >
    > So I ran fixboot in the recovery console to restore the partitions boot
    > sector, but that didn't help either.
    >
    > I read something about a problem with the Linux 2.6 kernel, qtparted &
    > partimage having disk geometry problems.
    >
    > I'd druther not re-install and re-image my partitions. I need Grub, not
    > the NT boot-loader.
    >
    > What tools can I use to debug and trace the MBR & partition boot sector?
    >
    > Scott

    Ultimate Boot CD may be able to help you.

    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    Duane :)

Partition Boot Windows