Sign in with
Your question

which router should i buy?

Last response: in Networking
December 12, 2006 2:17:52 AM

Im buying a laptop with built in intel pro wireless a/b/g w/ bluetooth. Does the intel wireless pro chipset have a 54Mb/s or 108Mb/s max download rate? Im pretty sure its 54 because if im not mistaken in order to reach 108Mb/s you must have some form of speed booster i.e. "super-g" or speedbooster etc...Im wondering becuase I plan to buy a new wireless router and the 108Mb/s routers can be a bit spendy.

More about : router buy

December 12, 2006 11:26:26 AM

AFAIK, the various turbo-G techniques are all proprietary, so you would need the same brand of turbo-G adapter as your router to achieve the benefit. So, your built-in is standard 802.11g.

My advice - don't bother with turbo-G, speedbooster-G or whatever marketing name the vendor gives it.

If you need to transfer a large file or do something else where speed makes a difference, connect a wire.

BTW, the "real" data throughput rate for 802.11g, with a strong signal, low noise, and one client is more like 20-25 Mbps, not 54. 802.11g has a lot of overhead that consumes half the available bandwidth. The same holds true for the 108 claims - divide by 2 for your best case scenario. Both of these are considerably slower than your cat5e wire.

But, both are probably considerably faster than your internet connection.
December 12, 2006 6:52:46 PM

yeah thats what i have heard, some people have said that on some routers the speed is divided by 4! I have a Dlink DI-624 that i use for a wired connection consisting of 2 computers and and xbox 360 and a ps2 and i havent had any problems with it so i think i will continue to use that for a wireless connection. If it gives me problems then i will switch.
Related resources
December 14, 2006 2:10:26 PM

Quote:
Im buying a laptop with built in intel pro wireless a/b/g w/ bluetooth. Does the intel wireless pro chipset have a 54Mb/s or 108Mb/s max download rate? Im pretty sure its 54 because if im not mistaken in order to reach 108Mb/s you must have some form of speed booster i.e. "super-g" or speedbooster etc...Im wondering becuase I plan to buy a new wireless router and the 108Mb/s routers can be a bit spendy.
It'll be: a/b/g (54/11/54). Just like Iceblue already said, you can expect to get nowhere near 54Mbps with a 54g connection. Oh, it'll connect at 54g and say that it's "Excellent", but the throughput is nowhere close. I've tried a few different routers and found the Buffalo High Power (WHR-HP-54G) to be one that can punch holes through walls like no other. Downside: It's throughput is nothing special. I have also tried the new Netgear RangeMax Next Gigabit w/ cardbus card and the D-Link DIR-655 w/ cardbus card. The Netgear would be fast one moment, then slow to a crawl the next. I ended up keeping the D-Link. Going through three walls, it can maintain 6MBps (Mega bytes, no bits) FTP connection from my Gigabit connected Buffalo LinkStation Pro. I'm very impressed with the D-Link and it's only on the second rev of firmware.
December 15, 2006 6:59:26 PM

Well I have a D-Link that I bougt earlier this year so ill give that a shot. I only need to get a good signal 1 or 2 rooms away from where the router will be. If i dont like it ill buy a newer D-link and give that a shot.
April 15, 2010 3:49:29 PM

I have gone through two link system routers that die everytime a storm knocks out the power for even a few minutes. What kind of router should i buy to have a continuous and strong signal?
April 15, 2010 5:42:25 PM

Wireless N.. good for ~300mbits. Not sure what your real speed will be though.
!