Win 2000 Pro/Win 98 SE Dual Boot

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 2, 2005 4:09:02 PM

Howdy:

I have Win 2k Pro loaded and would like to set up for dual booting with Win
98 SE...

The Win 2k Pro Help files state that it doesn't matter which order these
OS's are loaded; however, after loading Win 2k Pro, Win 98 Se doesn't want to
load...

Win 98 Se wants to load to the C: drive, which is where I have Win 2k Pro
loaded...

Prior to loading Win 2k, I created several partitions:

C: 12.5 gb - NTFS
D: 12.5GB - Fat 32
E: 20.0 GB - NTFS
F: 36.0 GB - NTFS

I had planned on loading Win 98 SE on the D: drive; however, it doesn't give
me the option to load the OS on any other drive but C: for some reason.

Can somebody walk me through this dual boot situation?
Or is the help file incorrect when it says it doesn't matter which OS is
loaded first?

Help

Hiram
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 7:17:13 PM

This article may help. Always install operating systems on separate
partitions in order of operating system build dates.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Hiram" wrote:
| Howdy:
|
| I have Win 2k Pro loaded and would like to set up for dual booting with
Win
| 98 SE...
|
| The Win 2k Pro Help files state that it doesn't matter which order these
| OS's are loaded; however, after loading Win 2k Pro, Win 98 Se doesn't want
| load...
|
| Win 98 Se wants to load to the C: drive, which is where I have Win 2k Pro
| loaded...
|
| Prior to loading Win 2k, I created several partitions:
|
| C: 12.5 gb - NTFS
| D: 12.5GB - Fat 32
| E: 20.0 GB - NTFS
| F: 36.0 GB - NTFS
|
| I had planned on loading Win 98 SE on the D: drive; however, it doesn't
give
| me the option to load the OS on any other drive but C: for some reason.
|
| Can somebody walk me through this dual boot situation?
| Or is the help file incorrect when it says it doesn't matter which OS is
| loaded first?
|
| Help
|
| Hiram

August 3, 2005 12:49:41 AM

Hiram wrote:
> Howdy:
>
> I have Win 2k Pro loaded and would like to set up for dual booting with Win
> 98 SE...
>
> The Win 2k Pro Help files state that it doesn't matter which order these
> OS's are loaded; however, after loading Win 2k Pro, Win 98 Se doesn't want to
> load...
>
> Win 98 Se wants to load to the C: drive, which is where I have Win 2k Pro
> loaded...
>
> Prior to loading Win 2k, I created several partitions:
>
> C: 12.5 gb - NTFS
> D: 12.5GB - Fat 32
> E: 20.0 GB - NTFS
> F: 36.0 GB - NTFS
>
> I had planned on loading Win 98 SE on the D: drive; however, it doesn't give
> me the option to load the OS on any other drive but C: for some reason.
>
> Can somebody walk me through this dual boot situation?
> Or is the help file incorrect when it says it doesn't matter which OS is
> loaded first?

The Help File is incorrect, unless you're using a third party tool.

The simplest way I've found to dual boot between Win9x and Win2K
would be to partition your drive(s) roughly as follows:

C: FAT32 Win9x/Legacy Apps & Games
D: NTFS Win2K/Modern Apps

Adjust the partition sizes according to your actual hard drive(s)
size and the amount of space you'd like to allocate to each OS and its
applications. You needn't use the FAT32 or NTFS file systems for the
two OS partitions unless you want to, but this configuration allows
you to take full advantage of both OS's partition size, file
management, and (for Win2K) security features. If you like, all of
the partitions, as long as they're no larger than 2 Gb, can be FAT16.
I don't recommend this, however, as it's terribly wasteful of hard
drive space. When I last converted a 2 Gb FAT16 partition to FAT32, I
gained an additional 300 Mb of free space. (Your results will vary, of
course, based upon the types and sizes of files you have on the
partition.)

Create the partitions using Win9x's FDISK so you can enable large
disk support (FAT32). (No need for 3rd party partitioning
utilities/boot managers and their frequent complications.)

Install Win9x first, being sure to select "C:\Windows" (or
D:\Windows, if you prefer) when asked for the default Windows
directory. When you subsequently install Win2K, be sure to specify
"D:\Winnt" (or "D:\Windows," "C:\Winnt" as referred/applicable) when
asked for the default Windows directory, to place it in the other
partition. The Win2K installation routine will automatically set up a
Multi-boot menu for you. The default settings for this menu can be
readily edited from within Win2K. NOTE: If you elect to place Win98
on the "D:" drive, you'll _have_ to leave the "C:" drive as FAT32.

This method can be adapted to using 2 physical hard drives by
placing the boot partition (C:, which still must be FAT32) and either
of the operating systems on the Primary Master hard drive, and the
second operating system on the second hard drive.

It is also possible to have a 3rd partition for shared
applications, but it would be necessary for such a partition to be
formatted in the common file format (FAT32). The applications would
also have to be installed into each OS (to ensure proper system file
placement and registry updates), one at a time, but the bulk of the
program files could be located on this common partition. I do not,
however, actually recommend doing this as, if you were to uninstall
such an application from one OS, you may not be able to gracefully
uninstall it from the second OS, having already deleted crucial
installation data during the first uninstall action.

Just about everything you need to know (URLs may wrap):

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q217/2...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/administr...

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 10:33:03 AM

Morning:

Thanks for your time and help gentlemen, appreciate it...

Bruce:

Any chance of checking that 2nd URL, the page it leads to isn't there for
some reason...

Thanx

Hiram

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> [...]
> of the operating systems on the Primary Master hard drive, and the
> second operating system on the second hard drive.
>
> It is also possible to have a 3rd partition for shared
> applications, but it would be necessary for such a partition to be
> formatted in the common file format (FAT32). The applications would
> also have to be installed into each OS (to ensure proper system file
> placement and registry updates), one at a time, but the bulk of the
> program files could be located on this common partition. I do not,
> however, actually recommend doing this as, if you were to uninstall
> such an application from one OS, you may not be able to gracefully
> uninstall it from the second OS, having already deleted crucial
> installation data during the first uninstall action.
>
> Just about everything you need to know (URLs may wrap):

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 11:28:32 PM

Hiram wrote:
> Morning:
>
> Thanks for your time and help gentlemen, appreciate it...
>
> Bruce:
>
> Any chance of checking that 2nd URL, the page it leads to isn't there for
> some reason...

Ah! Sorry.... It got truncated a bit, somehow. Try

!