100 % CPU going to users.exe

I have read around 100 messages from googling on 'win200 100% cpu'.

Only problem is ...none of them resolve the problem for me. The only
app on the box is Comsocks, a NAT program. Uninstalling that and
only preserving a setting to dial my ISP still yields the 100% mess.

I have closed all the unused services per recognized W2000 sources
to no avail.

Compaq 450 Win2000 Pro-sp4 192 Mb ram.

I could use a real fix. The M$ data on the subject is not helpful.
duh.
3 answers Last reply
More about users

    "" wrote:
    > I have read around 100 messages from googling on 'win200 100%
    > cpu'.
    >
    > Only problem is ...none of them resolve the problem for me.
    > The only
    > app on the box is Comsocks, a NAT program. Uninstalling that
    > and
    > only preserving a setting to dial my ISP still yields the 100%
    > mess.
    >
    > I have closed all the unused services per recognized W2000
    > sources
    > to no avail.
    >
    > Compaq 450 Win2000 Pro-sp4 192 Mb ram.
    >
    > I could use a real fix. The M$ data on the subject is not
    > helpful.
    > duh.

    Did you google for "users.exe",
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%22users.exe%22&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

    Well, symantec say it’s potentialy a worm, you should scan your
    directory structur for viruses and then scan your computer with
    spybot, if you dont have a virus scanner, and are too cheap (or just
    dont want) to, AntiVir is a nice light wight no nonsence FREE virus
    scanner (WHat norton should be).

    Spybot: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
    AntiVir: http://www.free-av.com/

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Setup---Deploy---Upgrade-100-CPU-users.exe-ftopict404822.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1341443

    Sparda wrote:

    > "" wrote:
    > > I have read around 100 messages from googling on 'win200 100%
    > > cpu'.
    > >
    > > Only problem is ...none of them resolve the problem for me.
    > > The only
    > > app on the box is Comsocks, a NAT program. Uninstalling that
    > > and
    > > only preserving a setting to dial my ISP still yields the 100%
    > > mess.
    > >
    > > I have closed all the unused services per recognized W2000
    > > sources
    > > to no avail.
    > >
    > > Compaq 450 Win2000 Pro-sp4 192 Mb ram.
    > >
    > > I could use a real fix. The M$ data on the subject is not
    > > helpful.
    > > duh.
    >
    > Did you google for "users.exe",
    > http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%22users.exe%22&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
    >
    > Well, symantec say it’s potentialy a worm, you should scan your
    > directory structur for viruses and then scan your computer with
    > spybot, if you dont have a virus scanner, .............

    Three trips around each with FreeVirusScanner, M$Anti-Spyware and SpyBot all revealed nothing. I omitted that
    detail from the original post.

    "" wrote:
    > Sparda wrote:
    >
    > > "" wrote:
    > > > I have read around 100 messages from googling on 'win200
    > 100%
    > > > cpu'.
    > > >
    > > > Only problem is ...none of them resolve the problem for
    > me.
    > > > The only
    > > > app on the box is Comsocks, a NAT program. Uninstalling
    > that
    > > > and
    > > > only preserving a setting to dial my ISP still yields the
    > 100%
    > > > mess.
    > > >
    > > > I have closed all the unused services per recognized
    > W2000
    > > > sources
    > > > to no avail.
    > > >
    > > > Compaq 450 Win2000 Pro-sp4 192 Mb ram.
    > > >
    > > > I could use a real fix. The M$ data on the subject is not
    > > > helpful.
    > > > duh.
    > >
    > > Did you google for "users.exe",
    > > http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%22users.exe%22&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
    > >
    > > Well, symantec say it’s potentialy a worm, you should scan
    > your
    > > directory structur for viruses and then scan your computer
    > with
    > > spybot, if you dont have a virus scanner, .............
    >
    > Three trips around each with FreeVirusScanner, M$Anti-Spyware
    > and SpyBot all revealed nothing. I omitted that
    > detail from the original post.

    Can you locate where users.exe is? and what it relates to?

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Setup---Deploy---Upgrade-100-CPU-users.exe-ftopict404822.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1341924

Internet Service Providers CPUs Microsoft Windows