Sign in with
Your question

Net Send Help!

Last response: in Networking
December 12, 2006 2:25:23 AM

Hey, I've been trying to use netsend here at college just within our local workgroup, but have run into some trouble.

When I do "net send * (message)" the message sends to our domain.

My problem is, I cannot figure out how in the world to send to an individual computer. I have tried "net send (IP|windows username|computer name)" many times to no avail. Every time I get "The message alias could not be found on the network."

If anyone can tell me what the deal is, it would be much appreciated.

I'm thinking maybe you have to be running a server in which the users are logged in to in order to do that, but that doesn't seem very practical.

Edit: I should also add that the messenger service is indeed running on the target computer as well as my own (we're on XP sp2)

More about : net send

December 12, 2006 2:10:29 PM

If you're using Windows XP SP2, did you manually turn on the Messenger Service?
You will also have to turn off the Windows firewall or add the Messenger Service as an exception.
If you still receive the error message - try this
Open the command console
From this console type in "net name"
Listed are the names that your computer can be sent messages to. (If you get an error message, then your Messenger service is not started correctly. Reboot your system).
Do this on the target computer as well.
Try sending a test message to any of the names listed in this cmd.exe window
also, trying turning off any third party firewalls that may be running, or make an exception for them with the messenger service
December 13, 2006 2:12:28 AM

Checkout netsend syntax:
http://www.lantalk.net/net-send-command/

and

1. add "files and printer sharing" to the exclusion list of Windows Firewall
2. the user names should not duplicates over the network ( i.e. there can't be two "admin" or something else - the only one will be accessible )

they have free utility like netsend, it sends the message in a bit different manner, I think that it will work for you:
http://www.lantalk.net/netsend/
December 13, 2006 2:38:55 AM

OKay thanks for the input guys. Turns out, I can send direct messages and they can be sent to me providing one of us sends an initial message to ourself first. It only has to be done once unless the network connection is reset. Doesn't make any sense to me but whatever..
!