how to set diplay settings for home workers on terminal se..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 8, 2005 6:47:36 AM

Dear all,

We are using a server that runs windows 2000 for the purpose of teleworking.
Employees log in from their homes via broadband connections. Now we have a
problem with the display settings. If employees log in from their homes, they
see a screen with very few colors (maybe 256?). I assume this has been done
to limit bandwith use. However, we now installed a new program that requires
at least 16 or 24-bit color depth. Can anyone tell me how I can set the color
depth that people see when they log in? If I work on the console of the
server itself, the screen has 32-bit color depth, so somewhere there must be
a setting that the color depth is reduced when people log in from a remote
computer.
I used a windows terminal server utility to log in from a computer that is
part of the office network and then I also get the low-color screen (even if
I select high-colors in this terminal server utility).

Your help is very much appreciated.

Jos van Iwaarden
Holland
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 2:22:41 PM

The link to the download for the client.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdcl...

Then check your settings on the client. Particularly the 'Experience' and
'Display' tabs for the connection.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Jos van Iwaarden" wrote:
| Dear all,
|
| We are using a server that runs windows 2000 for the purpose of
teleworking.
| Employees log in from their homes via broadband connections. Now we have a
| problem with the display settings. If employees log in from their homes,
they
| see a screen with very few colors (maybe 256?). I assume this has been
done
| to limit bandwith use. However, we now installed a new program that
requires
| at least 16 or 24-bit color depth. Can anyone tell me how I can set the
color
| depth that people see when they log in? If I work on the console of the
| server itself, the screen has 32-bit color depth, so somewhere there must
be
| a setting that the color depth is reduced when people log in from a remote
| computer.
| I used a windows terminal server utility to log in from a computer that is
| part of the office network and then I also get the low-color screen (even
if
| I select high-colors in this terminal server utility).
|
| Your help is very much appreciated.
|
| Jos van Iwaarden
| Holland
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 6:36:56 PM

Dear Dave,

Thanks for your response.
The home computers run either XP Professional or Windows 2000 professional.
I'm aware of the settings on the client that you talk about. No matter what
settings I change on the 'experience' and 'display' tabs, the screen will
still be 256 colours. I suspect that the server overrules the settings of the
client but I don't know how or why since the console of the server is in
32-bit colour.

Thanks again and hopefully you can help me further with this.

regards,
Jos

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> The link to the download for the client.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdcl...
>
> Then check your settings on the client. Particularly the 'Experience' and
> 'Display' tabs for the connection.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Jos van Iwaarden" wrote:
> | Dear all,
> |
> | We are using a server that runs windows 2000 for the purpose of
> teleworking.
> | Employees log in from their homes via broadband connections. Now we have a
> | problem with the display settings. If employees log in from their homes,
> they
> | see a screen with very few colors (maybe 256?). I assume this has been
> done
> | to limit bandwith use. However, we now installed a new program that
> requires
> | at least 16 or 24-bit color depth. Can anyone tell me how I can set the
> color
> | depth that people see when they log in? If I work on the console of the
> | server itself, the screen has 32-bit color depth, so somewhere there must
> be
> | a setting that the color depth is reduced when people log in from a remote
> | computer.
> | I used a windows terminal server utility to log in from a computer that is
> | part of the office network and then I also get the low-color screen (even
> if
> | I select high-colors in this terminal server utility).
> |
> | Your help is very much appreciated.
> |
> | Jos van Iwaarden
> | Holland

August 8, 2005 7:55:12 PM

This article may help you.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...

--

"Jos van Iwaarden" wrote:
| Dear Dave,
|
| Thanks for your response.
| The home computers run either XP Professional or Windows 2000
professional.
| I'm aware of the settings on the client that you talk about. No matter
what
| settings I change on the 'experience' and 'display' tabs, the screen will
| still be 256 colours. I suspect that the server overrules the settings of
the
| client but I don't know how or why since the console of the server is in
| 32-bit colour.
|
| Thanks again and hopefully you can help me further with this.
|
| regards,
| Jos
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 4:56:04 PM

Dear Dave,

Thanks again for your support. I used the Remote Desktop Connection tool but
it did not solve the problem. The settings on the client computer are just
overruled by the terminal services server.
I think there is some Group Policy on the server that changes the display
settings. However, I can't find any such policy. Do you know where I can
find/set a group policy for the display settings?

Thanks again!

Jos

"Dave Patrick" schreef:

> This article may help you.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Jos van Iwaarden" wrote:
> | Dear Dave,
> |
> | Thanks for your response.
> | The home computers run either XP Professional or Windows 2000
> professional.
> | I'm aware of the settings on the client that you talk about. No matter
> what
> | settings I change on the 'experience' and 'display' tabs, the screen will
> | still be 256 colours. I suspect that the server overrules the settings of
> the
> | client but I don't know how or why since the console of the server is in
> | 32-bit colour.
> |
> | Thanks again and hopefully you can help me further with this.
> |
> | regards,
> | Jos

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 12:38:24 AM