unicorn

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005

I have recently had my hard disk go bad. It is still readable, but far
from reliable with the primary partition slowly disintegrating.

To fix the problem I got a new disk, backed up the system and O/S
partitions over the network, partitioned the new drive on an XP box and
installed it into the computer.

I installed a copy of win2k on the C: drive and attempted to restore the
drives from the backup. The restore goes fine, but for some reason that
I do not understand, one of two problems appears every time I restore
the data.

1. The restore goes fine, but explorer does not start when windows
boots to the restored copy on the D: drive. Everything works, except
explorer IE and control panel. Registry is intact and licences are all
present

I format and install win2k on the D drive (the original location) and
restore from that copy, including a separate 'system state' backup set.

2. The restore does not appear to restore any of the licence
information. VB5 and VB6 appear as learning versions instead of them
being professional versions.

Could anyone shed anything at all in the way of light on these two problems?

I completely fail to understand why either of these scenarios does not
work.

I even tried just copying all the files in place and repairing the
install but that created problem 1 again.

Tried using Norton ghost to copy the D: drive, then booted with a win98
disk and fixed the MBR to correct drive letter assignments. Again
problem one after a reboot.

I am at my wits end over what should be a simple process. If I install
the original drive it boots up fine. The restored or copied versions
do not work. What am I doing wrong.

Matt

unicorn

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005

Unicorn wrote:
> I have recently had my hard disk go bad. It is still readable, but far
> from reliable with the primary partition slowly disintegrating.
>
> To fix the problem I got a new disk, backed up the system and O/S
> partitions over the network, partitioned the new drive on an XP box and
> installed it into the computer.
>
> I installed a copy of win2k on the C: drive and attempted to restore the
> drives from the backup. The restore goes fine, but for some reason that
> I do not understand, one of two problems appears every time I restore
> the data.
>
> 1. The restore goes fine, but explorer does not start when windows
> boots to the restored copy on the D: drive. Everything works, except
> explorer IE and control panel. Registry is intact and licences are all
> present
>

> I format and install win2k on the D drive (the original location) and
> restore from that copy, including a separate 'system state' backup set.
>
> 2. The restore does not appear to restore any of the licence
> information. VB5 and VB6 appear as learning versions instead of them
> being professional versions.
>
> Could anyone shed anything at all in the way of light on these two
> problems?
>
> I completely fail to understand why either of these scenarios does not
> work.
>
> I even tried just copying all the files in place and repairing the
> install but that created problem 1 again.
>
> Tried using Norton ghost to copy the D: drive, then booted with a win98
> disk and fixed the MBR to correct drive letter assignments. Again
> problem one after a reboot.
>
> I am at my wits end over what should be a simple process. If I install
> the original drive it boots up fine. The restored or copied versions
> do not work. What am I doing wrong.
>
> Matt
Just for closure on this problem which has been hanging around for some
time. I rand chkdsk /f on the system volume for the umteenth time and
installed the latest version of google desktop all in the one session.
Not sure which fixed the problem. (The chkdsk identified file problems
with the .net framework log files.) but either way the problem is cured

Matt