How to Demote a DC with a single server in Active Directory

I have a single Windows 2000 server with Active Directory installed that runs
Citrix MetaFrame XP Version 1.0 for Windows. I am trying to upgrade MetaFrame
XP to MetraFrame Presentation Server 4.0 and found Citrix tech note CTX
106529 that I cannot install Presentation Server 4.0 on a domain controller.
Since I have one server at this point, what are the steps to move Active
Directory from the Citrix server to another Windows 2000 server? Also, do I
need to buy another Windows 2000 server license for the above purpose?

Thanks
Che
2 answers Last reply
More about demote single server active directory

    In news:76FCC342-C3A8-4240-8CB7-EFDC88820E88@microsoft.com,
    Che <Che@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    > I have a single Windows 2000 server with Active Directory installed
    > that runs Citrix MetaFrame XP Version 1.0 for Windows. I am trying to
    > upgrade MetaFrame XP to MetraFrame Presentation Server 4.0 and found
    > Citrix tech note CTX 106529 that I cannot install Presentation Server
    > 4.0 on a domain controller. Since I have one server at this point,
    > what are the steps to move Active Directory from the Citrix server to
    > another Windows 2000 server? Also, do I need to buy another Windows
    > 2000 server license for the above purpose?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Che

    You need another server to be a DC, if you have only one. You would also
    need to transfer the FSMO roles to the new box before demoting the existing
    DC. Of course, you need a license to run any version of Windows on any
    hardware.
    Frankly, I'd probably buy another server to use as my Citrix box anyway, and
    leave the DC alone.

    You will need another server (or transfer your Citrix functionality to
    a new box.) It's best to keep these separate anyway. If anything
    happes to that Citrix server your DC is gone and so is your Active
    Directory (as you don't have a backup DC in your LAN.) Your Active
    Directory stores everything about users and other network objects.
    Protect this! If it goes down you've lost your users, your printer
    objects, any GPO's you may have, etc.

    If you've shelled out the cash for a Citrix box then $2,500 USD isn't
    that bad for a new server and Windows 2000 Server 5CAL. You don't need
    a killer box for a small office server (Citrix will need a bit more as
    it uses RAM and CPU for performance if you have many users.) If your
    current server is more robust (to act as a Citrix server) then just
    get a really good PC, install Win 2k Server (or 2003
    server...sometimes sold at better pricing than the old 2000 server!)
    and promote that to a DC. Then you can demote your current DC (after
    you transfer the FSMO roles, of course ;) and have your way with the
    CItrix issues.

    >I have a single Windows 2000 server with Active Directory installed that runs
    >Citrix MetaFrame XP Version 1.0 for Windows. I am trying to upgrade MetaFrame
    >XP to MetraFrame Presentation Server 4.0 and found Citrix tech note CTX
    >106529 that I cannot install Presentation Server 4.0 on a domain controller.
    >Since I have one server at this point, what are the steps to move Active
    >Directory from the Citrix server to another Windows 2000 server? Also, do I
    >need to buy another Windows 2000 server license for the above purpose?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Che

Windows 2000 Servers Active Directory Windows