Will not finish booting?

Hi all,

I have a laptop with W2KPro on it with lots of software.
All of a sudden when I turn it on it locks up during the
boot process. When I try to boot into safe mode
command prompt it gets as far as the file "iomdisk.sys"
and just sits there. I didn't make a recovery disk set,
yes I know, but I need to fix this boot process without
distroying anything on my c: drive. I can boot to the
cdrom but I do not want to do a reinstall unless that
does not affect the configuration of the software or the
data on the computer. Any ideas on how to resurrect
my 2000 machine? I can take the hard drive out of the
laptop and put it in another machine to get the data I need
but I want to try to fix the boot routing if I can first.

thanks,
charles......

PS. I have tried all version of safe mode and last known
good configuration and that didn't work.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:pA3Ke.3569$RS.668@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net,
***** charles <shultzjrX@joimail.com> had this to say:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a laptop with W2KPro on it with lots of software.
> All of a sudden when I turn it on it locks up during the
> boot process. When I try to boot into safe mode
> command prompt it gets as far as the file "iomdisk.sys"
> and just sits there. I didn't make a recovery disk set,
> yes I know, but I need to fix this boot process without
> distroying anything on my c: drive. I can boot to the
> cdrom but I do not want to do a reinstall unless that
> does not affect the configuration of the software or the
> data on the computer. Any ideas on how to resurrect
> my 2000 machine? I can take the hard drive out of the
> laptop and put it in another machine to get the data I need
> but I want to try to fix the boot routing if I can first.
>
> thanks,
> charles......
>
> PS. I have tried all version of safe mode and last known
> good configuration and that didn't work.

Follow the steps here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824125

(It's for a bad motherboard but it's fine) You want to do a repair
installation which should not damage your files.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

Hi Galen,

Thanks for the response. Turns out the hard drive was going
physically bad so I had to put in a new drive and do a new
install. Will file the info for later use.

later,
charles.....