Bad checksum error in boot up !

swayzak

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
hi

I have had this P4PE, Pentium 4 3.06 setup for a few years.

It has been OK - coldboot problems occasionally (often have to go through BIOS to boot successfully). But once up & running it's fine.

Incidently, it often speaks "No cpu installed, No cpu installed" on boot up, even when it boots normally ! Weird but there you go.

However, recently I've been getting bad checksum errors & the CMOS resets to default.

Tonight it said the cpu was 2300 MHz !

Have to change BIOS settings back to my normal settings each time & it then boots OK.

When I change the cpu back in BIOS, the options are "3066 MHz" or "Manual".

Can anyone advise here ?

Could it be something as simple as a CMOS battery change (it's about 5 years old now) ?

I hope it's not on it's last legs......

cheers

swayzak

PC_Side_Line

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Bro, u forgot to remove ur pc from A/C during ur recent LIGHTNING strikes in your area!

carzy things then happen.

Invest in a UPS, u'll get less crazier things!

EDIT 4ryan6 beat me to it!!!! :p

Well if the battery does start to die then when the computer is powered off(not on all boards)you can loose the cmos data.

The may cause your 2.3 issue.
11.5 X 200(400ddr) = 2300
11.5 x 266(533ddr) = 3059(close enough to me)

When your cmos looses data you will also get a checksum error, and maybe even get a new CPU detected "error".

Head on out to the dollar store and get a new battery its like xx32(i forget the first numbers....xx16 is too thin)

Hope this helps

swayzak

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Thanks folks.

I found a new 3v lithium battery (CR2032 I think) & replaced the old one.

5 cold boots so far without the error message so fingers crossed I've solved it.....

Still says "no cpu installed" on boot up, as it always has done ..... strange things these computers :)

swayzak

swayzak

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Still says "no cpu installed" on boot up, as it always has done ..... strange things these computers

Do you know if the M/B is flashed to the last available BIOS flash for it?

Yep - 1007 (released 11-10-2003)

It's a known bug with this board I think - don't think there's any cure for it AFAIK.

I've just kind of got used to this bizarre message !