HELP, Computer shuts down

chrislay

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
I built a pc, its been working just fine and dandy, windows xp, Legit. it started off just shutting down at random, then it started shutting off sooner, now during windows xp loading, it shut off.. please help

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Please post your components, including m/b, cpu, memory (brand, type, timing), vid card, psu (inclu brand, watts, 12v. amps), peripherals.

Catscratch

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
I don't wanna be jumpy but, if it resets (means it doesn't turn itself off and stays that way) the first thing to check is the RAM. If you have 2 sticks, you wanna try them one at a time. Than suspect mobo, then HDD. If you have SMART enabled, then it should give warning about HDD.

Poxal

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I suspect the psu (assuming its not a software issue). But we cant do much guessing till we get specs! :)

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
See...here we all are speculating, and we don't even know what he's got. Maybe it's a $25 PowMax psu, or mis-matched RAM. Post the parts.

chrislay

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Ok, i did not give much info. its all good hardware, properly matched, i dont want to sit here and write it all out though, so just assume its all good hardware k :) iv only built a little over 20 computers, you might ask well why the hell cant you figure this out, well.. because im frusterated and would rather not think

chrislay

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
ok it didnt work, it was working so i thought that was the problem but its not, also now my desktop, when it gets that far, takes days to load. i load task manager and System is taking a ton of cpu, not system.exe or nothing just says, System anything? help? :(

Mondoman

Splendid
Ok, i did not give much info. its all good hardware, properly matched, i dont want to sit here and write it all out though, so just assume its all good hardware ...
Well, if it's all good hardware, then clearly there's no problem! See how easy it is to solve problems through laziness?

chrislay

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
i dont get it, if you dont want to be cool about things and help people why are you wasting my time by posting bull shit, good hard ware could fail just as bad hard ware, just not as common, its not 25 dollar pieces of hardware.. so dont post things to people who are asking for help, whne youre not going to help. thanks!

Poxal

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
It boils down to this.
If you are not willing to help yourself then dont ask someone else for help.
For people to help you its useful to know your hardware a little. If your too lazy to post it, then dont expect much.

Have you run memtest on your ram? If messing with the ram changed your symptoms, then you may want to try that.

DC

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Couple of suggestions. Is it over heating? Could be a bad cpu fan. Can you get hold of a power supply tester? A good one is only about $30 at Newegg and if you build a few it's worth it. Did you test the ram yet?

Just a thought, but you could have a virus. Sounds like hardware, but malicious software can cause this and if it came up suddenly after running for awhile, it's a possibility.

Did you move it? Maybe a card came just a bit loose.

Try disconnecting one nonessential peripheral at a time. Bad floppys, cables, etc can all cause this if you are really unlucky. I had a MS wireless mouse randomly shut off a friends PC last year and another PC that suddenly wouldn't start up with a defective optical mouse attached after working fine for 6 months.

Good Luck! Sounds like you are frustrated. I know the feeling.

chrislay

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
appreciate it. thanks. i bet your on iRC channle op right, youre all hell of cool and hard ass's i can see right through you. :-D

chrislay

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
its not over heating, i tried other fans and it still shuts off, i thin i have come to the conclusion that its the hard drive though, appreciate your help a ton! thank you.

DC

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
If you are zeroing in on the hard drive, it wouldn't hurt to try a new/different data cable and even power plug, before replacing the hard drive. You never know...

chrislay

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
lol, duh, funny i didnt even think of that,.. lame on my part. thanks for the heads up, might have just saved me a ton of time and money. appreciate it. ill keep you updated.

Viceras

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
TBH if you want a thorough analysis of "what it could be" et cetera then you're going to have to fill in the blanks for us; What components you're using? what OS? What tests did you run when you built it? did memtest86+ find any errors? that sort of thing.

We cant very well help you find your problems blindly can we? We'd be here forever.

Give us more info and hopefully we'll be able to find a solution. After all, in the time you've spent posting replies you could have written the specs out.

Vic.

Poxal

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
TBH if you want a thorough analysis of "what it could be" et cetera then you're going to have to fill in the blanks for us; What components you're using? what OS? What tests did you run when you built it? did memtest86+ find any errors? that sort of thing.

We cant very well help you find your problems blindly can we? We'd be here forever.

Give us more info and hopefully we'll be able to find a solution. After all, in the time you've spent posting replies you could have written the specs out.

Vic.

Its a waste of time Vic. His rig is top secret! 8O

chrislay

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
LOL i know i know but im busy as really dont want to get the specs, its my friends computer, i know there now 5 dollar shit parts, and yeah im busy all day long and tired i dont want to deal with it, im just hoping its a normal hardware prob not due to what brand it is..