Need Opinions on a CPU/Motherboard problem

aclarson

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
Hello, I have a Dell PC that I decided to replace the motherboard on so I could also upgrade the memory and add a second hard drive. I installed the stock P4 2.8 CPU on the new motherboard (ASRock P4i65G) and powered it back up. The fans all spun up, but nothing appeared on the monitor :cry: (integrated video card). I tried different memory, unhooking things one at a time till all that was running was MB, CPU + fan, memory and it still never booted up. So, I tried hooking everything back up with the original MB and it did the same thing! I even tried unhooking things one at a time like I did on the other MB and it still didn't boot up. :evil: Does it sound like I fried my CPU? Maybe the MB is what fried it? Any other thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Poxal

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Are you forgetting the 4 pin cpu power plug? This will cause those symptoms. Its surrounded by capacitors on your new mobo (between the cpu and the rear connections.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Are you forgetting the 4 pin cpu power plug? This will cause those symptoms. Its surrounded by capacitors on your new mobo (between the cpu and the rear connections.

That would be my guess as well.

To the OP: congrats on choosing the p4i65G board. It's a decent little s478 solution. However, Asrock also has a new board out, the P4VM890, a s478 board with PCIe 16x slot.