Relocating W2k OS to C partition after removing dual Boot

Hope some one can help with this. I have a W2k - W98 dual boot that I
want to turn into a W2k boot only. Removing the W98 seems fairly
straight forward, though there are a lot of files on the C partition
(1st primary partition) that are not mentioned in the KB article on
removing a dual boot.

The problem comes in how can I "rearrange" the W2k system over to the
C partition? Presently it is on the K partition (the second primary
partition. Programs are located on K, E and F partitions.

Right now this 60 gig drive has 10 partitions and I wantr to get the
number of partitions down a bit. And thus after removing the W98 I
have no use for the C partiton & thus would like to move the OS over
to it.

I have the ghost images of both the C partition and the K W2k OS
partition saved on another drive.

tia
Acc7
3 answers Last reply
More about relocating partition removing dual boot

    "acc7" <acc7@berkeley.net> wrote in message
    > Hope some one can help with this. I have a W2k - W98 dual boot that I
    > want to turn into a W2k boot only. Removing the W98 seems fairly
    > straight forward, though there are a lot of files on the C partition
    > (1st primary partition) that are not mentioned in the KB article on
    > removing a dual boot.
    >
    > The problem comes in how can I "rearrange" the W2k system over to the
    > C partition? Presently it is on the K partition (the second primary
    > partition. Programs are located on K, E and F partitions.
    >
    > Right now this 60 gig drive has 10 partitions and I wantr to get the
    > number of partitions down a bit. And thus after removing the W98 I
    > have no use for the C partiton & thus would like to move the OS over
    > to it.
    >
    > I have the ghost images of both the C partition and the K W2k OS
    > partition saved on another drive.
    >
    > tia
    > Acc7

    Since Win2000 was born on drive K:, it must end its life on a drive
    that uses the letter K:. This is because there are countless references
    in the registry to the letter K:.

    However, it is possible to run Win2000 off your first disk partition
    while maintaining K: as its drive letter. Here is what I would do:

    1. Save the current installation on some other disk, using one of
    the many partition imaging tools.

    2. While Win2000 is active, copy these hidden files from C:\ to K:\
    ntldr
    ntdetect.com
    boot.ini

    3. Edit k:\boot.in and change partition(x) to partition(1) for all
    Win2000 references.

    4. Run regedit and do this:
    Delete HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\K:
    Rename HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\C: to DosDevices\K:
    Do not boot into Win2000 after this step!

    5. Use the partition imaging tool of Step1 to copy drive K: to the first
    partiton.

    6. Delete the partition that carries drive K:.

    Win2000 will now run off the first partition but it will still be
    visible as drive K:.

    Pegasus,

    Thanks for the detailed explanation. I suspected as much. Your post
    is a big help.

    Which partition manager would be wise to use for this? Ghost can be
    a bit awkward. Will it do the job needed here?

    Thanks for your help

    Acc7

    > Pegasus,
    >
    > Thanks for the detailed explanation. I suspected as much. Your post
    > is a big help.
    >
    > Which partition manager would be wise to use for this? Ghost can be
    > a bit awkward. Will it do the job needed here?
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > Acc7
    > >
    > >"acc7" <acc7@berkeley.net> wrote in message
    > >> Hope some one can help with this. I have a W2k - W98 dual boot that I
    > >> want to turn into a W2k boot only. Removing the W98 seems fairly
    > >> straight forward, though there are a lot of files on the C partition
    > >> (1st primary partition) that are not mentioned in the KB article on
    > >> removing a dual boot.
    > >>
    > >> The problem comes in how can I "rearrange" the W2k system over to the
    > >> C partition? Presently it is on the K partition (the second primary
    > >> partition. Programs are located on K, E and F partitions.
    > >>
    > >> Right now this 60 gig drive has 10 partitions and I wantr to get the
    > >> number of partitions down a bit. And thus after removing the W98 I
    > >> have no use for the C partiton & thus would like to move the OS over
    > >> to it.
    > >>
    > >> I have the ghost images of both the C partition and the K W2k OS
    > >> partition saved on another drive.
    > >>
    > >> tia
    > >> Acc7
    > >
    > >Since Win2000 was born on drive K:, it must end its life on a drive
    > >that uses the letter K:. This is because there are countless references
    > >in the registry to the letter K:.
    > >
    > >However, it is possible to run Win2000 off your first disk partition
    > >while maintaining K: as its drive letter. Here is what I would do:
    > >
    > >1. Save the current installation on some other disk, using one of
    > >the many partition imaging tools.
    > >
    > >2. While Win2000 is active, copy these hidden files from C:\ to K:\
    > >ntldr
    > >ntdetect.com
    > >boot.ini
    > >
    > >3. Edit k:\boot.in and change partition(x) to partition(1) for all
    > >Win2000 references.
    > >
    > >4. Run regedit and do this:
    > >Delete HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\K:
    > >Rename HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\C: to DosDevices\K:
    > >Do not boot into Win2000 after this step!
    > >
    > >5. Use the partition imaging tool of Step1 to copy drive K: to the first
    > >partiton.
    > >
    > >6. Delete the partition that carries drive K:.
    > >
    > >Win2000 will now run off the first partition but it will still be
    > >visible as drive K:.

    I don't use Ghost but I'm sure it can handle it. My
    preferences are Acronis TrueImage or PowerQuest
    DiskImage.

Partition Microsoft Dual Boot Windows