Problem with Dell Dimension 8250

SPARTAN-117

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Just swapped PSU's in my my Dell. I changed the stock one out for a Silencer 410 from PC Power & Cooling and now the PC won't turn on. When I changed the PSU I made sure that everything was connected correctly and now regardless of which PSU is plugged into the PC the power light on the front of the tower is flashing in an amber color. Any idea whats wrong?

Thanks for the help in advance.

SPARTAN-117

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
They look the same except that the PCP&C one is "missing" a connector on the 20 pin mainboard plug in. Also, I'm having this problem regardless which PSU is in the PC. The light is flashing amber in color with both the PCP&C PSU and the stock Dell PSU.

SPARTAN-117

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
It didn't die... The VGA in the PC died so I bought a new VGA and figured I might as well buy a upgrade PSU just in case. Installed the new VGA and reformated and installed Windows, did all the updates, and made sure it was software sound. Then I decided to install the new PSU. I didn't short anything and all my connections were sound. Thats when the amber light came on. Then when I put the stock PSU back in the amber light was still on. Could it be that the capacitors on the board are fried? (nothing made a popping sound and no smoke)

SPARTAN-117

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S41D2&view=photos

According to my PCP&C diagram that came with the PSU, the number 13 connector is missing. You can just about see it in the photo on the page I linked. If you can see the clip that locks it into place on the mainboard, follow that over to where you see the break in the end of connectors thats the one thats missing. Now everything on the mobo is intact. I know the board is getting power because the green LED on the mobo is lighting up every time you plug in the PC.

SPARTAN-117

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Well, it was working just fine till I decided to go change the PSU. Couldn't leave well enough alone *drop-kicks self in forehead*, spent 14hrs today reprogramming the thing and now I undid it all in a 5 minute swap out *drop-kicks self again in forehead*. All the wires did match up correctly, worse yet is that this is my Mom's PC. Not like shes gonna ground me though, I'm 20 after all. Wondering now if it was the PSU that caused the VGA to go in the first place. This probably would've happened latter on down the road if I hadn't fiddled with it.

SPARTAN-117

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Just an update on my problem. Well, I got it running on both PSU's. Weird I know. What I did was plug in just the mobo and P4, powered on, then added each component one at a time powering on between each hook up and the PC works.

Hope this helps others.