Installing W2K without Win98?

Hello to all...

Some time back I purchased a W2K upgrade for my W98 machine that
installed on top of the old OS.

I have a need now to install W2K in a faster system. Do I need to
install W98 first or is there a command I can use to get W2K to install
on it's own?

The volume for the CD is labeled "W2PCCP_EN" if that will tell you
something?

Thanks!

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 CD-Rom or setup disks.
The set of four install disks can be created from your Win2k CD-rom; change
to the \bootdisk directory on the cd-rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos)
or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to confirm the previous
operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
proceed.

Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios and
or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"G.I.O." wrote:
| Hello to all...
|
| Some time back I purchased a W2K upgrade for my W98 machine that
| installed on top of the old OS.
|
| I have a need now to install W2K in a faster system. Do I need to
| install W98 first or is there a command I can use to get W2K to install
| on it's own?
|
| The volume for the CD is labeled "W2PCCP_EN" if that will tell you
| something?
|
| Thanks!

Dave:

That's what I'm asking.... is there a command I can use from DOS to install from the CD or do I
need a bootdisk floppy (which I do not have) for this?

Dave Patrick wrote:

> To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 CD-Rom or setup disks.

No, just boot the CD-Rom or setup disks.

--

"G.I.O." wrote:
| Dave:
|
| That's what I'm asking.... is there a command I can use from DOS to
install from the CD or do I
| need a bootdisk floppy (which I do not have) for this?

You can just run the install, it will ask you to provide the 98 disk during,
the install. When it's checked the 98 disk the install will continue.
"G.I.O." <tfg1@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Hello to all...
>
> Some time back I purchased a W2K upgrade for my W98 machine that
> installed on top of the old OS.
>
> I have a need now to install W2K in a faster system. Do I need to
> install W98 first or is there a command I can use to get W2K to install
> on it's own?
>
> The volume for the CD is labeled "W2PCCP_EN" if that will tell you
> something?
>
> Thanks!

Dave:

I'm confused here. Right now I have a clean system. Formatted 20 gig drive and
that's where I sit. I have an old W98 boot floppy but no such disk for W2K...
only the CD.

Please... a little more detail.

George

Dave Cooper wrote:

> You can just run the install, it will ask you to provide the 98 disk during,
> the install. When it's checked the 98 disk the install will continue.
> "G.I.O." <tfg1@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > Hello to all...
> >
> > Some time back I purchased a W2K upgrade for my W98 machine that
> > installed on top of the old OS.
> >
> > I have a need now to install W2K in a faster system. Do I need to
> > install W98 first or is there a command I can use to get W2K to install
> > on it's own?
> >
> > The volume for the CD is labeled "W2PCCP_EN" if that will tell you
> > something?
> >
> > Thanks!

Dave:

I guess where I was having trouble is knowing how to "boot from CD". Having
to changing the bios to make this happen, I mean. Once this was done it took
off no problem.

I'm all set, now, and on my way. Thanks for the assistance on this.

George

Dave:

I guess where I was having trouble was knowing how to "boot from CD". Having
to change the bios to make this happen, I mean. Once this was done it took
off no problem.

I'm all set, now, and on my way. Thanks for the assistance on this.

George

Dave:

I guess where I was having trouble is knowing how to "boot from CD". Having
to changing the bios to make this happen, I mean. Once this was done it took
off no problem.

I'm all set, now, and on my way. Thanks for the assistance on this.

George

If your machine can be set to boot to CD, (In the Bios) you won't need a
floppy, It should ask you "Boot from CD" press any key and setup should run,
If it won't
You need to make the four boot floppies, (You can use the Windows 98 floppy,
if it has the CD driver),
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197063
> Dave:
>
> I'm confused here. Right now I have a clean system. Formatted 20 gig drive
and
> that's where I sit. I have an old W98 boot floppy but no such disk for
W2K...
> only the CD.
>
> Please... a little more detail.
>
> George
>
> Dave Cooper wrote:
>
> > You can just run the install, it will ask you to provide the 98 disk
during,
> > the install. When it's checked the 98 disk the install will continue.
> > "G.I.O." <tfg1@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello to all...
> > >
> > > Some time back I purchased a W2K upgrade for my W98 machine that
> > > installed on top of the old OS.
> > >
> > > I have a need now to install W2K in a faster system. Do I need to
> > > install W98 first or is there a command I can use to get W2K to
install
> > > on it's own?
> > >
> > > The volume for the CD is labeled "W2PCCP_EN" if that will tell you
> > > something?
> > >
> > > Thanks!

Dave:

Yes, I was able to set the bios in this Dell GX-150 to boot from the CD and that
did the trick.

Thanks for the help on this. Very much appreciated!

George

Dave Cooper wrote:

> If your machine can be set to boot to CD, (In the Bios) you won't need a
> floppy...

TRENDING THREADS