Getting "Error Loading Operating System" on Win2k Server I..

Hello:

I am installing Win2k Server on a PIII System with a 80 Gig WD Caviar drive.
This system previously was running Linux. I deleted the linux partitions
during install (with the Win2k CD) and created a new 10 gig partition to
Install the Win 2k O/S. I formatted in NTFS and watched as necessary 2K files
were copied during the first phase of the install process. However, when the
"first reboot" happened I got an "Error Loading Operating system" message. I
wouldn't think this is related to BIOS/disk size or ATA66 vs ATA100
limitations because Linux worked fine. Anyone have any recommendations ?
1 answer Last reply
More about getting error loading operating system win2k server

    You'll want to boot the Windows 2000 setup disks or CD-Rom. The set of four
    install disks can be created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the
    \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or
    makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

    Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system)
    in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify
    additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer
    supplied Windows 2000 driver for your ultra ATA controller in drive "A"

    If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
    late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
    resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

    Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Glenn" wrote:
    | Hello:
    |
    | I am installing Win2k Server on a PIII System with a 80 Gig WD Caviar
    drive.
    | This system previously was running Linux. I deleted the linux partitions
    | during install (with the Win2k CD) and created a new 10 gig partition to
    | Install the Win 2k O/S. I formatted in NTFS and watched as necessary 2K
    files
    | were copied during the first phase of the install process. However, when
    the
    | "first reboot" happened I got an "Error Loading Operating system" message.
    | wouldn't think this is related to BIOS/disk size or ATA66 vs ATA100
    | limitations because Linux worked fine. Anyone have any recommendations ?

Servers Linux Windows