disk checker/chkdsk

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Apologies for the x/repeat post

Ran chkdsk on my C drive, using a cmd box and noticed a couple of lines
during stage 1 of 3:
'Deleting corrupt file record segment 1957' and under that 'Deleting corrupt
file record segment 1996'. the countup then runs to 100% and dos box closed.
after this, i ran chkdsk /f but got this message: 'cannot lock current
drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the
system restarts? (Y/N)' I type 'Y', then restart. Although chkdsk does run
during the restart, i kind of trips out without resolving anything - it just
seems to give up. The comp starts up, i try running chkdsk /f again with the
same sort of responses. Have also tried doing it in safe mode but no joy.
Tried running defrag but get this message: 'Disk Defragmenter has detected
that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on volume (c). Please run Chkdsk /f.'. I
then go through that little loop again but find there's no way that the
chkdsk actually runs during start up nor is there any way to turn the loop
off - can't get to do a defrag, in other words. Then i get the idea of
scandisk but win2k doesn't have that as such but does have an 'error
checking' facility under local disk properties. so i click than and get this
message: 'windows was unable to complete the disk check.'

In case you're wondering, i have spent a bit of time trawling for answers
and tried a good few to no avail. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. The
other thing to note is that i initially started all this because my
otherwise bulletproof win2k OS, just recently, started to freeze...

apologies for the long post but details are sometimes important. tia, mojo

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

You'll probably get other suggestions too, but I'd suggest you get (from
the disk manufacturer's website or tech support team) their hard drive
diagnostic. That is a freebie and may get you a free replacement drive.
(It's possible there's a bad spot on the oxide surface or some other
drive problem that's getting in chkdsk's way.)

mojohotmail wrote:
> Apologies for the x/repeat post
>

> Ran chkdsk on my C drive, using a cmd box and noticed a couple of lines
> during stage 1 of 3:
> 'Deleting corrupt file record segment 1957' and under that 'Deleting corrupt
> file record segment 1996'. the countup then runs to 100% and dos box closed.
> after this, i ran chkdsk /f but got this message: 'cannot lock current
> drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
> Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the
> system restarts? (Y/N)' I type 'Y', then restart. Although chkdsk does run
> during the restart, i kind of trips out without resolving anything - it just
> seems to give up. The comp starts up, i try running chkdsk /f again with the
> same sort of responses. Have also tried doing it in safe mode but no joy.
> Tried running defrag but get this message: 'Disk Defragmenter has detected
> that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on volume (c). Please run Chkdsk /f.'. I
> then go through that little loop again but find there's no way that the
> chkdsk actually runs during start up nor is there any way to turn the loop
> off - can't get to do a defrag, in other words. Then i get the idea of
> scandisk but win2k doesn't have that as such but does have an 'error
> checking' facility under local disk properties. so i click than and get this
> message: 'windows was unable to complete the disk check.'
>
> In case you're wondering, i have spent a bit of time trawling for answers
> and tried a good few to no avail. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. The
> other thing to note is that i initially started all this because my
> otherwise bulletproof win2k OS, just recently, started to freeze...
>
> apologies for the long post but details are sometimes important. tia, mojo

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Hi

thanks for that - have already done so using seagate's software.
unfortunately, that too says it can't continue/resolve the thing - generates
similar(ish) messages as before.

"Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message
> You'll probably get other suggestions too, but I'd suggest you get (from
> the disk manufacturer's website or tech support team) their hard drive
> diagnostic. That is a freebie and may get you a free replacement drive.
> (It's possible there's a bad spot on the oxide surface or some other
> drive problem that's getting in chkdsk's way.)
>
> mojohotmail wrote:
> > Apologies for the x/repeat post
> >

> > Ran chkdsk on my C drive, using a cmd box and noticed a couple of lines
> > during stage 1 of 3:
> > 'Deleting corrupt file record segment 1957' and under that 'Deleting
corrupt
> > file record segment 1996'. the countup then runs to 100% and dos box
closed.
> > after this, i ran chkdsk /f but got this message: 'cannot lock current
> > drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process.
> > Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the
> > system restarts? (Y/N)' I type 'Y', then restart. Although chkdsk does
run
> > during the restart, i kind of trips out without resolving anything - it
just
> > seems to give up. The comp starts up, i try running chkdsk /f again with
the
> > same sort of responses. Have also tried doing it in safe mode but no
joy.
> > Tried running defrag but get this message: 'Disk Defragmenter has
detected
> > that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on volume (c). Please run Chkdsk /f.'. I
> > then go through that little loop again but find there's no way that the
> > chkdsk actually runs during start up nor is there any way to turn the
loop
> > off - can't get to do a defrag, in other words. Then i get the idea of
> > scandisk but win2k doesn't have that as such but does have an 'error
> > checking' facility under local disk properties. so i click than and get
this
> > message: 'windows was unable to complete the disk check.'
> >
> > In case you're wondering, i have spent a bit of time trawling for
answers
> > and tried a good few to no avail. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
The
> > other thing to note is that i initially started all this because my
> > otherwise bulletproof win2k OS, just recently, started to freeze...
> >
> > apologies for the long post but details are sometimes important. tia,
mojo

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I have a hunch you may not be running Seagate's diagnostic, which will
be a bootable floppy (NOT a Windows executable like chkdsk).

The diagnostic reports whether the drive is flawed. It will not return a
message saying it cannot continue unless there is a machine problem
other than the hard drive. The diagnostic does not care about, and is
not aware of, any code on the hard drive.

I suggest you place a phone call to Seagate tech support. Check with
them whether you're running their disk diagnostic. These diagnostics are
not usually shipped with the drives or PCs; they are downloaded bootable
floppy images.

I'm assuming here that the "similar(ish) messages" imply you're running
some executable under the W2k (or whatever) system. If so, it ain't the
diagnostic.

mojohotmail wrote:

> Hi
>
> thanks for that - have already done so using seagate's software.
> unfortunately, that too says it can't continue/resolve the thing - generates
> similar(ish) messages as before.
>

> "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message
>
>>You'll probably get other suggestions too, but I'd suggest you get (from
>>the disk manufacturer's website or tech support team) their hard drive
>>diagnostic. That is a freebie and may get you a free replacement drive.
>>(It's possible there's a bad spot on the oxide surface or some other
>>drive problem that's getting in chkdsk's way.)
>>
>>mojohotmail wrote:
>>
>>>Apologies for the x/repeat post
>>>

>>>Ran chkdsk on my C drive, using a cmd box and noticed a couple of lines
>>>during stage 1 of 3:
>>>'Deleting corrupt file record segment 1957' and under that 'Deleting
>
> corrupt
>
>>>file record segment 1996'. the countup then runs to 100% and dos box
>
> closed.
>
>>>after this, i ran chkdsk /f but got this message: 'cannot lock current
>>>drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
>
> process.
>
>>>Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the
>>>system restarts? (Y/N)' I type 'Y', then restart. Although chkdsk does
>
> run
>
>>>during the restart, i kind of trips out without resolving anything - it
>
> just
>
>>>seems to give up. The comp starts up, i try running chkdsk /f again with
>
> the
>
>>>same sort of responses. Have also tried doing it in safe mode but no
>
> joy.
>
>>>Tried running defrag but get this message: 'Disk Defragmenter has
>
> detected
>
>>>that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on volume (c). Please run Chkdsk /f.'. I
>>>then go through that little loop again but find there's no way that the
>>>chkdsk actually runs during start up nor is there any way to turn the
>
> loop
>
>>>off - can't get to do a defrag, in other words. Then i get the idea of
>>>scandisk but win2k doesn't have that as such but does have an 'error
>>>checking' facility under local disk properties. so i click than and get
>
> this
>
>>>message: 'windows was unable to complete the disk check.'
>>>
>>>In case you're wondering, i have spent a bit of time trawling for
>
> answers
>
>>>and tried a good few to no avail. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
>
> The
>
>>>other thing to note is that i initially started all this because my
>>>otherwise bulletproof win2k OS, just recently, started to freeze...
>>>
>>>apologies for the long post but details are sometimes important. tia,
>
> mojo

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

actually, i did dload the 'diskette creator' software from seagate, create
the floppy, boot with and then go through the pertinent processes.
basically, the seagate software was kind of coming up against a brick wall.
i'll can do it again and make a note of the precise steps/dialogs etc if
that's any use?

> I have a hunch you may not be running Seagate's diagnostic, which will
> be a bootable floppy (NOT a Windows executable like chkdsk).
>
> The diagnostic reports whether the drive is flawed. It will not return a
> message saying it cannot continue unless there is a machine problem
> other than the hard drive. The diagnostic does not care about, and is
> not aware of, any code on the hard drive.
>
> I suggest you place a phone call to Seagate tech support. Check with
> them whether you're running their disk diagnostic. These diagnostics are
> not usually shipped with the drives or PCs; they are downloaded bootable
> floppy images.
>
> I'm assuming here that the "similar(ish) messages" imply you're running
> some executable under the W2k (or whatever) system. If so, it ain't the
> diagnostic.
>
> mojohotmail wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > thanks for that - have already done so using seagate's software.
> > unfortunately, that too says it can't continue/resolve the thing -
generates
> > similar(ish) messages as before.
> >

> > "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>You'll probably get other suggestions too, but I'd suggest you get (from
> >>the disk manufacturer's website or tech support team) their hard drive
> >>diagnostic. That is a freebie and may get you a free replacement drive.
> >>(It's possible there's a bad spot on the oxide surface or some other
> >>drive problem that's getting in chkdsk's way.)

> > corrupt

> > closed.

> > process.

> > run

> > just

> > the

> > joy.

> > detected

> > loop

> > this

> > answers

> > The

> > mojo

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

No use to me, but maybe to Seagate tech support. I have no idea what
software you're talking about. The Seagate site has, available for
download, a diagnostic package called "Seatools Desktop". Get it and use
it, if you haven't already.

Are you absolutely determined not to call Seagate tech support?

mojohotmail wrote:

> actually, i did dload the 'diskette creator' software from seagate, create
> the floppy, boot with and then go through the pertinent processes.
> basically, the seagate software was kind of coming up against a brick wall.
> i'll can do it again and make a note of the precise steps/dialogs etc if
> that's any use?
>

> "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message
>
>>I have a hunch you may not be running Seagate's diagnostic, which will
>>be a bootable floppy (NOT a Windows executable like chkdsk).
>>
>>The diagnostic reports whether the drive is flawed. It will not return a
>>message saying it cannot continue unless there is a machine problem
>>other than the hard drive. The diagnostic does not care about, and is
>>not aware of, any code on the hard drive.
>>
>>I suggest you place a phone call to Seagate tech support. Check with
>>them whether you're running their disk diagnostic. These diagnostics are
>>not usually shipped with the drives or PCs; they are downloaded bootable
>>floppy images.
>>
>>I'm assuming here that the "similar(ish) messages" imply you're running
>>some executable under the W2k (or whatever) system. If so, it ain't the
>>diagnostic.
>>
>>mojohotmail wrote:
>>

>>>Hi
>>>
>>>thanks for that - have already done so using seagate's software.
>>>unfortunately, that too says it can't continue/resolve the thing -
>
> generates
>
>>>similar(ish) messages as before.
>>>

>>>"Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message

>>>corrupt

>>>closed.

>>>process.

>>>run

>>>just

> with
>
>>>the

>>>joy.

>>>detected

>>>loop

>>>this

>>>answers

>>>The

>>>mojo

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

It was the Seagate desktop sware which told me all sorts of interesting
things like... the first partition 'failed with critical errors; Basic
structure corruption'. the second had 'Critical Error(s)' and other minor
errors - the third partition has an Invalid BPB - whatever that is.

Cut a long story short, rang tech support (the idea never occurred to me
until you mentioned it) and they reckon i should trash the HD ASAP and
replace it - will attempt to dig out receipt and try to get a replacement
from the good folk at seagate as the shop that supplied me closed down/went
bust a few months ago, apparently. Thanks for all your help. mojo.

> No use to me, but maybe to Seagate tech support. I have no idea what
> software you're talking about. The Seagate site has, available for
> download, a diagnostic package called "Seatools Desktop". Get it and use
> it, if you haven't already.
>
> Are you absolutely determined not to call Seagate tech support?
>
> mojohotmail wrote:
>
> > actually, i did dload the 'diskette creator' software from seagate,
create
> > the floppy, boot with and then go through the pertinent processes.
> > basically, the seagate software was kind of coming up against a brick
wall.
> > i'll can do it again and make a note of the precise steps/dialogs etc if
> > that's any use?
> >

> > "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>I have a hunch you may not be running Seagate's diagnostic, which will
> >>be a bootable floppy (NOT a Windows executable like chkdsk).
> >>
> >>The diagnostic reports whether the drive is flawed. It will not return a
> >>message saying it cannot continue unless there is a machine problem
> >>other than the hard drive. The diagnostic does not care about, and is
> >>not aware of, any code on the hard drive.
> >>
> >>I suggest you place a phone call to Seagate tech support. Check with
> >>them whether you're running their disk diagnostic. These diagnostics are
> >>not usually shipped with the drives or PCs; they are downloaded bootable
> >>floppy images.
> >>
> >>I'm assuming here that the "similar(ish) messages" imply you're running
> >>some executable under the W2k (or whatever) system. If so, it ain't the
> >>diagnostic.

> > generates

> > with

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Hard drive warranties are pretty long. Seagate tech supp can tell you
whether you qualify for a free replacement, based on the serial #.

If you do qualify, ask for a "cross shipment." You give them your credit
card #; they send you the new drive; you have maybe 2 weeks to fiddle
with it, transfer whatever you can from the broken drive to it; then you
ship the broken drive to them using their shipping materials; they don't
charge your card if they get the broken drive in time.

I have done this many times. Very handy. With luck that broken drive may
be partially accessible - hope hope - if mounted as a slave...

Good luck!

mojohotmail wrote:

> It was the Seagate desktop sware which told me all sorts of interesting
> things like... the first partition 'failed with critical errors; Basic
> structure corruption'. the second had 'Critical Error(s)' and other minor
> errors - the third partition has an Invalid BPB - whatever that is.
>
> Cut a long story short, rang tech support (the idea never occurred to me
> until you mentioned it) and they reckon i should trash the HD ASAP and
> replace it - will attempt to dig out receipt and try to get a replacement
> from the good folk at seagate as the shop that supplied me closed down/went
> bust a few months ago, apparently. Thanks for all your help. mojo.
>

> "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message
>
>>No use to me, but maybe to Seagate tech support. I have no idea what
>>software you're talking about. The Seagate site has, available for
>>download, a diagnostic package called "Seatools Desktop". Get it and use
>>it, if you haven't already.
>>
>>Are you absolutely determined not to call Seagate tech support?
>>
>>mojohotmail wrote:
>>

>>>actually, i did dload the 'diskette creator' software from seagate,
>
> create
>
>>>the floppy, boot with and then go through the pertinent processes.
>>>basically, the seagate software was kind of coming up against a brick
>
> wall.
>
>>>i'll can do it again and make a note of the precise steps/dialogs etc if
>>>that's any use?
>>>

>>>"Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message

>>>generates

> (from

> drive.

> lines

> current

> the

> does

> it

>>>with

> /f.'.

> the

> of

> get

> appreciated.

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

You can also check warranty status here:

http://www.seagate.com/support/service/

Dan Seur wrote:
> Hard drive warranties are pretty long. Seagate tech supp can tell you
> whether you qualify for a free replacement, based on the serial #.
>
> If you do qualify, ask for a "cross shipment." You give them your credit
> card #; they send you the new drive; you have maybe 2 weeks to fiddle
> with it, transfer whatever you can from the broken drive to it; then you
> ship the broken drive to them using their shipping materials; they don't
> charge your card if they get the broken drive in time.
>
> I have done this many times. Very handy. With luck that broken drive may
> be partially accessible - hope hope - if mounted as a slave...
>
> Good luck!
>
> mojohotmail wrote:
>
>> It was the Seagate desktop sware which told me all sorts of interesting
>> things like... the first partition 'failed with critical errors;
>> Basic
>> structure corruption'. the second had 'Critical Error(s)' and other minor
>> errors - the third partition has an Invalid BPB - whatever that is.
>>
>> Cut a long story short, rang tech support (the idea never occurred to me
>> until you mentioned it) and they reckon i should trash the HD ASAP and
>> replace it - will attempt to dig out receipt and try to get a replacement
>> from the good folk at seagate as the shop that supplied me closed
>> down/went
>> bust a few months ago, apparently. Thanks for all your help. mojo.
>>

>> "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> No use to me, but maybe to Seagate tech support. I have no idea what
>>> software you're talking about. The Seagate site has, available for
>>> download, a diagnostic package called "Seatools Desktop". Get it and use
>>> it, if you haven't already.
>>>
>>> Are you absolutely determined not to call Seagate tech support?

>> create

>> wall.

>> (from

>> drive.

>> lines

>> current

>> the

>> does

>> it

>> /f.'.

>> the

>> of

>> get

>> appreciated.

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Update: got in touch with Seagate but it's a no can do thing, apparently -
my HD 'sold as a system component' but the place i bought my machine from
went bust - a bit of a fly by night outfit, i used to think. ANyway, can
hardly get an exchange from them - no longer there. Still, Seagate were all
very polite about it all. I guess they have their reasons for refusing.

> Hard drive warranties are pretty long. Seagate tech supp can tell you
> whether you qualify for a free replacement, based on the serial #.
>
> If you do qualify, ask for a "cross shipment." You give them your credit
> card #; they send you the new drive; you have maybe 2 weeks to fiddle
> with it, transfer whatever you can from the broken drive to it; then you
> ship the broken drive to them using their shipping materials; they don't
> charge your card if they get the broken drive in time.
>
> I have done this many times. Very handy. With luck that broken drive may
> be partially accessible - hope hope - if mounted as a slave...
>
> Good luck!
>
> mojohotmail wrote:
>
> > It was the Seagate desktop sware which told me all sorts of interesting
> > things like... the first partition 'failed with critical errors;
Basic
> > structure corruption'. the second had 'Critical Error(s)' and other
minor
> > errors - the third partition has an Invalid BPB - whatever that is.
> >
> > Cut a long story short, rang tech support (the idea never occurred to me
> > until you mentioned it) and they reckon i should trash the HD ASAP and
> > replace it - will attempt to dig out receipt and try to get a
replacement
> > from the good folk at seagate as the shop that supplied me closed
down/went
> > bust a few months ago, apparently. Thanks for all your help. mojo.
> >

> > "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>No use to me, but maybe to Seagate tech support. I have no idea what
> >>software you're talking about. The Seagate site has, available for
> >>download, a diagnostic package called "Seatools Desktop". Get it and use
> >>it, if you haven't already.
> >>
> >>Are you absolutely determined not to call Seagate tech support?

> > create

> > wall.

> > (from

> > drive.

> > lines

> > current

> > the

> > does

> > it

> > /f.'.

> > the

> > of

> > get

> > appreciated.

tia,

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

That's too bad, sounds like you're out of luck. Looks like a new drive
(or a working drive from a local repair shop, if cost is a big problem)
is your remaining option.

Thanks for posting this followup. :-(

mojohotmail wrote:
> [...]
>
> the

>>>(from

> drive

>>>drive.

>>>lines

> 'Deleting

> box

>>>current

>>>the

>>>does

> anything -
>
>>>it

> no

>>>/f.'.

>>>the

> the

>>>of

> 'error

>>>get

>>>appreciated.

> tia,

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

yep - that is my only option - it's the hassle, more than the cost, of
having to do a clean install on a new drive and make sure i got all my
progs, including options/preferences, working how i want them to work etc
etc - usually takes me a couple of weeks of on and off attention to get
things fully set. all fun and games... not. thanks for all the advice and
time. mojo

> That's too bad, sounds like you're out of luck. Looks like a new drive
> (or a working drive from a local repair shop, if cost is a big problem)
> is your remaining option.
>
> Thanks for posting this followup. :-(
>
> mojohotmail wrote:
> > Update: got in touch with Seagate but it's a no can do thing,
apparently -
> > my HD 'sold as a system component' but the place i bought my machine
from
> > went bust - a bit of a fly by night outfit, i used to think. ANyway, can
> > hardly get an exchange from them - no longer there. Still, Seagate were
all
> > very polite about it all. I guess they have their reasons for refusing.
> >
> > "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>Hard drive warranties are pretty long. Seagate tech supp can tell you
> >>whether you qualify for a free replacement, based on the serial #.
> >>
> >>If you do qualify, ask for a "cross shipment." You give them your credit
> >>card #; they send you the new drive; you have maybe 2 weeks to fiddle
> >>with it, transfer whatever you can from the broken drive to it; then you
> >>ship the broken drive to them using their shipping materials; they don't
> >>charge your card if they get the broken drive in time.
> >>
> >>I have done this many times. Very handy. With luck that broken drive may
> >>be partially accessible - hope hope - if mounted as a slave...
> >>
> >>Good luck!

> > Basic

> > minor

> > replacement

> > down/went

> > if

> > are

> > bootable

> > running

> > the

> > drive

> > 'Deleting

> > box

> > anything -

> > no

> > the

> > 'error

> > tia,

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Mojo - you may be able to copy a lot from your old disk, even run
cloning software successfully. Worth a try. Hook up the old drive as
slave, give it a shot. Good luck!