auto shutdown?

Hi,

What I want to do is setup my Windows 2000 Pro workstation to boot and logon
as a specific user, run a specific application and when I exit the
application it should shutdown the computer.

Now I've figured out the first two parts, auto logon and launching the
application. I can't seem to figure out how to make the workstation
shutdown when I exit the application.

Any ideas how to accomplish this or am I going about this all wrong? Any
suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Linn

P.S. Remove the "2" in the domain name for email.

"Linn Kubler" <lkubler@chartwellwisc2.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> What I want to do is setup my Windows 2000 Pro workstation to boot and
logon
> as a specific user, run a specific application and when I exit the
> application it should shutdown the computer.
>
> Now I've figured out the first two parts, auto logon and launching the
> application. I can't seem to figure out how to make the workstation
> shutdown when I exit the application.
>
> Any ideas how to accomplish this or am I going about this all wrong? Any
> suggestions are welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Linn
>
> P.S. Remove the "2" in the domain name for email.

It depends on the application. Some applications, when invoked from
a batch file, get launched, then return control to the batch file without
delay. Others return control to the batch file only when they are
terminated. If yours belongs to the second class then you could place
the following batch file into your startup folder:

@echo off
"c:\Some Folder\SomeApp.exe"
c:\tools\psshutdown.exe /YourSwitches

psshutdown.exe is available from www.sysinternals.com. Similar
programs, usually called shutdown.exe, can be found on lots of
sites.

Depending on what you want to actually DO with the application (and how the
application is written), you could set the application as the shell of the
PC. Bear in mind if you do this, it won't matter WHO logs in, they will all
get that application as their shell (instead of explorer). If it's just a
single app on a single PC that you want this for, then this should work for
you.

NOTE : Please ensure data backups of any critical data are taken BEFORE you
do this, particularly the PC itself (if it's important).

Open the registry editor (Start -> Run -> regedit.exe)
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon.

Double click the 'Shell' item in the RIGHT hand pane.
Replace 'explorer.exe' with the name of your application, be sure to make it
a FULL path (and if it's a network application, ensure EVERY user who needs
it, has READ access to the application files and folders).

For example, if you wanted MS Word (Word 2003) to be your shell, you'd
replace 'explorer.exe' with 'c:\program files\microsoft
office\office11\winword.exe'.

This should work fine for you, back up your registry before you do this and
any mission-critical data before you do it though. Unless you're happy to
boot into DOS using a boot disk, have an NTFS writer tool and know regedit
command-lines, a quicker way back would be to simply delete the OS and
rebuild it.

I'm sure there's a better way to do it, however this works great for just a
single app that limits what an end-user can do on a PC, ideal for things like
Internet Cafes (where Internet Explorer is the shell) or anywhere a
single-app is all that's needed or ever wanted.

Hope this helps.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Linn Kubler" <lkubler@chartwellwisc2.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > What I want to do is setup my Windows 2000 Pro workstation to boot and
> logon
> > as a specific user, run a specific application and when I exit the
> > application it should shutdown the computer.
> >
> > Now I've figured out the first two parts, auto logon and launching the
> > application. I can't seem to figure out how to make the workstation
> > shutdown when I exit the application.
> >
> > Any ideas how to accomplish this or am I going about this all wrong? Any
> > suggestions are welcome.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Linn
> >
> > P.S. Remove the "2" in the domain name for email.
> >

> It depends on the application. Some applications, when invoked from
> a batch file, get launched, then return control to the batch file without
> delay. Others return control to the batch file only when they are
> terminated. If yours belongs to the second class then you could place
> the following batch file into your startup folder:
>
> @echo off
> "c:\Some Folder\SomeApp.exe"
> c:\tools\psshutdown.exe /YourSwitches
>
> psshutdown.exe is available from www.sysinternals.com. Similar
> programs, usually called shutdown.exe, can be found on lots of
> sites.

TRENDING THREADS