Win2K SP4 and SATA

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 30, 2005 2:56:09 PM

Hi,

I've currently got a Windows 2000 SP4 install, it's primary disk system is
IDE.
The boot disk is the first drive on the first IDE channel.

I've purchased a SATA RAID controller and some new hard disks, is there a
'good' way to simply 'move' the existing Windows 2000 install to the SATA
drives and then remove my old drives?

I've thought of using SYSPREP '-pnp' to do this but I know that with Windows
2000 setup, you can install SATA RAID drivers when you first install the OS.

Would it be good enough to install the SATA RAID card drivers on my existing
(IDE) setup, then sysprep it and then clone the install to the SATA drive or
is there an even easier/better way?

Can I simply clone the install to the SATA drive (as above) but re-run
windows 2000 SP4 setup (as if I was going to install a fresh copy) yet
install over my existing copy of Windows 2000? Would that preserve my
registry, installed applications etc? While still also allowing me to use the
SATA drives?

I'd rather not wipe and reinstall as thats a huge job, however, if that's
the only alternative then I'll have no choice.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas or if anyone has done something before
that works then please, let me know.

More about : win2k sp4 sata

August 31, 2005 12:17:05 AM

You can clone to the sata drive, then run a repair install in order to add
the sata/raid drivers from floppy during the process.
This shouldnt effect data or installed apps but as with any such process a
backup of data is reccommended

"Arkane" <Arkane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've currently got a Windows 2000 SP4 install, it's primary disk system is
> IDE.
> The boot disk is the first drive on the first IDE channel.
>
> I've purchased a SATA RAID controller and some new hard disks, is there a
> 'good' way to simply 'move' the existing Windows 2000 install to the SATA
> drives and then remove my old drives?
>
> I've thought of using SYSPREP '-pnp' to do this but I know that with
Windows
> 2000 setup, you can install SATA RAID drivers when you first install the
OS.

> Would it be good enough to install the SATA RAID card drivers on my
existing
> (IDE) setup, then sysprep it and then clone the install to the SATA drive
or
> is there an even easier/better way?
>
> Can I simply clone the install to the SATA drive (as above) but re-run
> windows 2000 SP4 setup (as if I was going to install a fresh copy) yet
> install over my existing copy of Windows 2000? Would that preserve my
> registry, installed applications etc? While still also allowing me to use
the
> SATA drives?
>
> I'd rather not wipe and reinstall as thats a huge job, however, if that's
> the only alternative then I'll have no choice.
>
> If anyone has any thoughts or ideas or if anyone has done something before
> that works then please, let me know.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 12:17:06 AM

I take it I'd need a Windows 2000 SP4 CD for that to work though, as a repair
restores files to the system that don't match the CD. Although I'm sure I can
rustle an SP4 CD up.

Does this sound ok for a proceedure?

1) Install SATA controller drivers onto EXISTING Win2000 system.
2) Clone EXISTING system to SATA drive
3) Disconnect IDE drives and boot from SATA
4) Watch it fail
5) Reboot with SP4 CD and run repair option
6) Watch it work (I hope)

This way, I can (if I have to) reconnect the IDE drives and have a working
system in about 1-2 mins flat and the only extra I had to do was install the
SATA drivers.

Is it worth using SYSPREP at all with this or would a straight clone + SATA
drivers + 'repair' option be okay?

"DL" wrote:

> You can clone to the sata drive, then run a repair install in order to add
> the sata/raid drivers from floppy during the process.
> This shouldnt effect data or installed apps but as with any such process a
> backup of data is reccommended
>
> "Arkane" <Arkane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've currently got a Windows 2000 SP4 install, it's primary disk system is
> > IDE.
> > The boot disk is the first drive on the first IDE channel.
> >
> > I've purchased a SATA RAID controller and some new hard disks, is there a
> > 'good' way to simply 'move' the existing Windows 2000 install to the SATA
> > drives and then remove my old drives?
> >
> > I've thought of using SYSPREP '-pnp' to do this but I know that with
> Windows
> > 2000 setup, you can install SATA RAID drivers when you first install the
> OS.
> >
> > Would it be good enough to install the SATA RAID card drivers on my
> existing
> > (IDE) setup, then sysprep it and then clone the install to the SATA drive
> or
> > is there an even easier/better way?
> >
> > Can I simply clone the install to the SATA drive (as above) but re-run
> > windows 2000 SP4 setup (as if I was going to install a fresh copy) yet
> > install over my existing copy of Windows 2000? Would that preserve my
> > registry, installed applications etc? While still also allowing me to use
> the
> > SATA drives?
> >
> > I'd rather not wipe and reinstall as thats a huge job, however, if that's
> > the only alternative then I'll have no choice.
> >
> > If anyone has any thoughts or ideas or if anyone has done something before
> > that works then please, let me know.

August 31, 2005 12:17:07 AM

AFAIK you can't use integrated install media to perform a repair install.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1...

What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

Be sure to apply these to your repair install before connecting to any
network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...

Also these may help.

How to Move a Windows Installation to Different Hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=249694

HOW TO: Replace the Motherboard on a Computer That Is Running Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=824125

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Arkane" wrote:
> [...]
| > existing
| > > (IDE) setup, then sysprep it and then clone the install to the SATA
drive
| > or
| > > is there an even easier/better way?
| > >
| > > Can I simply clone the install to the SATA drive (as above) but re-run
| > > windows 2000 SP4 setup (as if I was going to install a fresh copy) yet
| > > install over my existing copy of Windows 2000? Would that preserve my
| > > registry, installed applications etc? While still also allowing me to
use
| > the
| > > SATA drives?
| > >
| > > I'd rather not wipe and reinstall as thats a huge job, however, if
that's
| > > the only alternative then I'll have no choice.
| > >
| > > If anyone has any thoughts or ideas or if anyone has done something

August 31, 2005 9:00:01 AM

Thanks for all the links - 'integrated install media'? You mean a Windows
2000 SP4 CD (as in a slipstreamed CD)?

I've done a repair with this CD before and it's been fine, I'll give it a
go, if I backup what I have before then I can't see any harm in trying it, I
might be mistaken though, I will try it and let you know.

Of all the links you gave me, the 'moving windows to a new motherboard'
(last link) was an eye-opener, alot of the links had info I already knew but
that one was a gold mine. Although I'm not moving motherboards (just IDE
controllers), I will clone the windows install to the SATA drive and then run
a 'repair' on it as the article suggests (in the section that says you DON'T
have a working mobo, otherwise I'd have to 'upgrade' my IDE install of
Windows and I'm keen to leave that alone incase my SATA install fails).

Thanks for those links though, very helpful.

!