Can't convert from basic to dynamic 5.2TB disk

Windows 2003 server, attached a RAID5 set of disks totalling 5.2TB.

They installed OK as basic disk.

Want to add another RAID5 disk also 5.2TB (15x400GB) in a rack mounted case.

They also installed ok as basic disk.

We would like to make these dynamic so we can have one large drive spanning
both RAID sets.
(10.4TB D: drive)

Trying to convert these we get error msg as in MS article ID:826823

Updated the Windows 2003 server to SP1.
Still cannot change to dynamic.

Tried installing hotfix from 826823, says SP1 files are newer than hotfix.

Any ideas?

Graham
1 answer Last reply
More about convert basic dynamic disk

    I think I found the answer.

    Dynamic disks have to have 512 bytes per sector.

    A logical disk over 2TB has larger sector sizes (0 to 2TB =512 byte/sector,
    2 to 4TB = 1024 byte/sector, 4 to 8TB = 2048 byte/sector, 8 to 16TB = 4096
    byte/sector)

    To make dynamic disks, must use <2TB logical disks.

    Graham

    "Graham Prentice" <gprentice_@_oakville.ca> wrote in message
    > Windows 2003 server, attached a RAID5 set of disks totalling 5.2TB.
    >
    > They installed OK as basic disk.
    >
    > Want to add another RAID5 disk also 5.2TB (15x400GB) in a rack mounted
    > case.
    >
    > They also installed ok as basic disk.
    >
    > We would like to make these dynamic so we can have one large drive
    > spanning
    > both RAID sets.
    > (10.4TB D: drive)
    >
    > Trying to convert these we get error msg as in MS article ID:826823
    >
    > Updated the Windows 2003 server to SP1.
    > Still cannot change to dynamic.
    >
    > Tried installing hotfix from 826823, says SP1 files are newer than hotfix.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Graham

Windows Server 2003 Basic Servers Windows