Hi,

How do I install Win2000 on a computer with WinXP and a Sata harddrive?
I have partitioned the harddrive and when trying to install Win2000 I get
the message that Win setup cannot find any harddrive.

Thanks,
Martti

You'll want to boot the Windows 2000 setup disks or CD-Rom. The set of four
install disks can be created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the
\bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or
makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system)
in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify
additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer
supplied Windows 2000 driver for your serial ATA controller in drive "A"

If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Martti" wrote:
| Hi,
|
| How do I install Win2000 on a computer with WinXP and a Sata harddrive?
| I have partitioned the harddrive and when trying to install Win2000 I get
| the message that Win setup cannot find any harddrive.
|
| Thanks,
| Martti

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I am presently running W98SE & Win2000 on the same drive with 98 as the
original OS in a small 1G partition. No apps just the OS. All apps
were installed on drives D & E also small partitions <1G. Using
Partition Magic, others can be used, I made room for a 40G primary
partition between 98 and D which was made active for the installation of
Win2000. After the installation was complete the boot manager gave, and
still does, me the option of Win2000 (default if nothing is done) or
Win98SE if I select that to boot from. All runs normally for the booted
OS after bootup is complete. Normal permissions for Administrator,
Power User, etc. are fully in place with Win2000 OS. If the computer is
part of a LAN with other machines running Win2000 also then the Win98
version will have to have a User created with Permissions set on the
other machines allowing that user to be part of the Workgroup.

James

Dave Patrick wrote:
> You'll want to boot the Windows 2000 setup disks or CD-Rom. The set of four
> install disks can be created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the
> \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or
> makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.
>
> Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system)
> in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify
> additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer
> supplied Windows 2000 driver for your serial ATA controller in drive "A"
>
> If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
> late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
> resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

Is there a question somewhere in this?

--

"James" wrote:

|I am presently running W98SE & Win2000 on the same drive with 98 as the
| original OS in a small 1G partition. No apps just the OS. All apps
| were installed on drives D & E also small partitions <1G. Using
| Partition Magic, others can be used, I made room for a 40G primary
| partition between 98 and D which was made active for the installation of
| Win2000. After the installation was complete the boot manager gave, and
| still does, me the option of Win2000 (default if nothing is done) or
| Win98SE if I select that to boot from. All runs normally for the booted
| OS after bootup is complete. Normal permissions for Administrator,
| Power User, etc. are fully in place with Win2000 OS. If the computer is
| part of a LAN with other machines running Win2000 also then the Win98
| version will have to have a User created with Permissions set on the
| other machines allowing that user to be part of the Workgroup.
|
| James

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

No it was a suggestion regarding a setup format that has been working
through multiple generations of Win. Possibly, just possibly, seeing
how someone else has succeeded would give the original poster an idea
regarding his problem. Answers are not always clearly step-by-step
solutions since not all information is always provided in the original
questions.

James

Dave Patrick wrote:
> Is there a question somewhere in this?