Modem dialing sounds

I have just switched from WinMe to XP and I no longer have the dialing
sounds from my modem when I am connecting to my ISP. Where are these
sound s controlled on XP and how can I get them back.

Thanks

Open Control Panel, open Phone and Modem Options, go to the Modems tab, be
sure your modem is selected, click Properties, go to the Modem tab, and try
increasing the volume on the Speaker volume slider.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"Jack Black" <jackblack32003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have just switched from WinMe to XP and I no longer have the dialing
> sounds from my modem when I am connecting to my ISP. Where are these
> sound s controlled on XP and how can I get them back.
>
> Thanks

in Windows XP, chk your modem init string. Control Panel, Phone and Modem
Options, Advanced_Tab, and add your AT command to turn on sound.
your string will look something like - AT&FE1M2

where AT - means ATtention modem
&F - means reset
E1 - turn echo on
M2 - dialing

You will need to look up your modem AT commands for your modem to find out
the correct command and setting

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:31:23 -0600, "rpl" <rplNOSPAM@goldengate.net>
wrote:

>in Windows XP, chk your modem init string. Control Panel, Phone and Modem
>Options, Advanced_Tab, and add your AT command to turn on sound.
> your string will look something like - AT&FE1M2
>
>where AT - means ATtention modem
> &F - means reset
> E1 - turn echo on
> M2 - dialing
>
>You will need to look up your modem AT commands for your modem to find out
>the correct command and setting
>

>"Jack Black" <jackblack32003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I have just switched from WinMe to XP and I no longer have the dialing
>> sounds from my modem when I am connecting to my ISP. Where are these
>> sound s controlled on XP and how can I get them back.
>>
>> Thanks

Thanks for both your replies

#1 The volume is on high.
#2 This is a very old modem and I wouldn't know where to look for AT
commands.

Any other way out? any dialing software that might have sounds as an
option?

Thanks again

It's controlled by the hardware. The next step would be to check for later
drivers for the modem.

--

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:31:23 -0600, "rpl" <rplNOSPAM@goldengate.net>
> wrote:
>
>>in Windows XP, chk your modem init string. Control Panel, Phone and Modem
>>Options, Advanced_Tab, and add your AT command to turn on sound.
>> your string will look something like - AT&FE1M2
>>
>>where AT - means ATtention modem
>> &F - means reset
>> E1 - turn echo on
>> M2 - dialing
>>
>>You will need to look up your modem AT commands for your modem to find out
>>the correct command and setting
>>

>>"Jack Black" <jackblack32003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> I have just switched from WinMe to XP and I no longer have the dialing
>>> sounds from my modem when I am connecting to my ISP. Where are these
>>> sound s controlled on XP and how can I get them back.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
> Thanks for both your replies
>
> #1 The volume is on high.
> #2 This is a very old modem and I wouldn't know where to look for AT
> commands.
>
> Any other way out? any dialing software that might have sounds as an
> option?
>
> Thanks again

try going into network settings click on properties for whatever you use to
connect then go to configure under the general tab. youll see modem
configuration and then uncheck the enable modem speaker

Jack Black wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:31:23 -0600, "rpl" <rplNOSPAM@goldengate.net>
> wrote:
>

>>in Windows XP, chk your modem init string. Control Panel, Phone and Modem
>>Options, Advanced_Tab, and add your AT command to turn on sound.
>> your string will look something like - AT&FE1M2
>>
>>where AT - means ATtention modem
>> &F - means reset
>> E1 - turn echo on
>> M2 - dialing
>>
>>You will need to look up your modem AT commands for your modem to find out
>>the correct command and setting
>>

>>"Jack Black" <jackblack32003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have just switched from WinMe to XP and I no longer have the dialing
>>>sounds from my modem when I am connecting to my ISP. Where are these
>>>sound s controlled on XP and how can I get them back.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>
> Thanks for both your replies
>
> #1 The volume is on high.
> #2 This is a very old modem and I wouldn't know where to look for AT
> commands.
>
> Any other way out? any dialing software that might have sounds as an
> option?
>
> Thanks again
Here's a link to the Hayes command set. While it may not work on
every modem it is a very commonly used set. Try adding M1 or M2
to your initialization string.

http://docs.kde.org/en/3.1/kdenetwork/kppp/appendix-hayes-commands.html

gls858

TRENDING THREADS