Asus P5B m/b and XFX 9500 Display

sc00bs

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Hi

I am unable to get my P5B-VM motherboard to boot using the XFX display card I have plugged into it. It always defaults to the integrated display card.
The system was working no problems for the last 3 months and it then started this problem after unplugging its display and plugging it back in again.

I have checked the power connections for the display card.
Flashed the m/b bios with the latest version.
Set bios to default settings
Tried changing display boot up priority on all possible settings

Integrated display has Analogue, XFX has DVGI connections, my monitor has both.

Has anybody got any suggestions?
I suspect a faulty card but wanted to check if anybody had any bright ideas before I take it in on Monday to get checked out.

Thanks

JohnB

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
In most cases, when you have an IGP it needs to be disabled in the bios in order for your added card to work. You should find that settings under the onboard device denomination.

hope it helps

sc00bs

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Thanks for the suggestion Fatcat, I have tried this once but will try it again.

The problem was that once I disabled the integrated display, nothing worked. :D and I had to reset the bios so that I could see something again.

JohnB

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
I know it may sound stupid suggestion but when you're about to do this make sure your monitor is plugged in the right card output and not in your IGP one. I have made this mistake myself. You are in your bios settings but the monitor is still plugged in you IGP output so when you disable it you endup with no display which makes a lot of of sens....

sc00bs

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Disabled internal display adapter and get a post error, 1long - 3 short beeps.
No display, this is a VGA error.

Reset the bios to defaults, boots again with the integrated.

I think that I may have a faulty display card!

JohnB

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
Well it's possible that you got a faulty card, if you have a friend or someone that can lend you a card you just could test it and try see how it goes.