synching media files to a Windows Mobile using WMP doesn't..

June 6, 2005 5:32:36 PM

Hi all,
I am trying to use Window Medial Player (V10) to sync some MP3 files to
my HP hx4700 (Windows Mobile SE, CE 4.21, ROM version 1.10, with Windows
Media Player Mobile V10).

When I select the Sync tab in WMP (on the desktop), isn't the PocketPC
supposed to appear as a device in the right hand pane as soon as I have
an ActiveSync connection, so that one can drag over the files that one
wants to download? Nothing ever happens here (even if I select
Refresh/F5 numerous times). The pocket PC also does not show up under
Tools => Options => Devices tabs. If I click add I am sent to some MS
page that tells me how wonderful the world of cool devices is, but
nothing that triggers, my device to appear, nor any driver to download
here for windows mobile or such (though I think WM devices should not
need any additional drivers...).

Also under ControlPanel => Portable Media Devices I only get a message
stating "Portable Media Devices could not find any compatible devices
connected to the computer. Please verify bla bla...".

The ActiveSync connection (and the sync of calender, contacts, todo
items etc., as well as files etc.) works all fine.
So, how do I make my hx4700 appear on the radar screen of Portable Media
Devices or Window Media Player???

Or did I miss something here? How else is this much toutet automatic
synchronisation feature of media files between an XP box and Windows
Mobile supposed to work?

Michael
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 6:15:28 PM

It should "work" fine. Are you using a. activesync Guest connection ?

Cheers - Neil

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 13:32:36 +0200, "Michael Moser"
<michael-nospam.moser@nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote:

>Hi all,
>I am trying to use Window Medial Player (V10) to sync some MP3 files to
>my HP hx4700 (Windows Mobile SE, CE 4.21, ROM version 1.10, with Windows
>Media Player Mobile V10).
>
>When I select the Sync tab in WMP (on the desktop), isn't the PocketPC
>supposed to appear as a device in the right hand pane as soon as I have
>an ActiveSync connection, so that one can drag over the files that one
>wants to download? Nothing ever happens here (even if I select
>Refresh/F5 numerous times). The pocket PC also does not show up under
>Tools => Options => Devices tabs. If I click add I am sent to some MS
>page that tells me how wonderful the world of cool devices is, but
>nothing that triggers, my device to appear, nor any driver to download
>here for windows mobile or such (though I think WM devices should not
>need any additional drivers...).
>
>Also under ControlPanel => Portable Media Devices I only get a message
>stating "Portable Media Devices could not find any compatible devices
>connected to the computer. Please verify bla bla...".
>
>The ActiveSync connection (and the sync of calender, contacts, todo
>items etc., as well as files etc.) works all fine.
>So, how do I make my hx4700 appear on the radar screen of Portable Media
>Devices or Window Media Player???
>
>Or did I miss something here? How else is this much toutet automatic
>synchronisation feature of media files between an XP box and Windows
>Mobile supposed to work?
>
>Michael
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 8:26:20 PM

Hi Neil,

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o 0o8a1p49i7h2ip4mias4p2nohgkj4d9cv@4ax.com...
> It should "work" fine. Are you using a. activesync Guest connection ?

no - this is a normal, "full" (i.e. non-guest) standard partnership
connection. As I wrote: all my outlook items (agenda, tasks, and what
not) are synching fine (which wouldn't be the case for a "guest").

Michael
June 6, 2005 8:26:21 PM

are you connecting via USB or Wifi ?? Media player will not detect your
device if connecting via Wifi.

"Michael Moser" <michael-nospam.moser@nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote in message
| Hi Neil,
|
| "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
| news:o 0o8a1p49i7h2ip4mias4p2nohgkj4d9cv@4ax.com...
| > It should "work" fine. Are you using a. activesync Guest connection ?
|
| no - this is a normal, "full" (i.e. non-guest) standard partnership
| connection. As I wrote: all my outlook items (agenda, tasks, and what
| not) are synching fine (which wouldn't be the case for a "guest").
|
| Michael

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 9:44:59 PM

"KDE" <knott_me@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o ObxycqaFHA.1148@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> are you connecting via USB or Wifi ?? Media player will not detect
> your
> device if connecting via Wifi.

On the go via Bluetooth (i.e. a simulated serial port), at my desk via
USB.

Michael
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 9:45:00 PM

Know that "syncing" media files carries a severe speed penalty.

A better option is to use a memory card reader to either "sync" with wmp
or simply copy the files to the card if drm is not involved.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 9:45:01 PM

message news:%23QBPensaFHA.3384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> or simply copy the files to the card if drm is not involved.

For videos this works as well as long as they are of a bitrate that is
compatible with a PPC (typically ~600k or less) and of a size that doesn't
sweat the machine excessively in scaling (none, preferably).
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 9:46:55 PM

While you suffer a bit in the speed side, the advantage of syncing MP10 to
MP10 is that conversions are taken care of automatically, and you get
playlist, album art and DRM support.

Not sure what to suggest to Michael as my devices have all just worked.
BTW, once you do get the mobile device on the right, it's not a drag and
drop (though that may work), you select the items you want synced with
checks on the left and say go.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
message news:%23QBPensaFHA.3384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Know that "syncing" media files carries a severe speed penalty.
>
> A better option is to use a memory card reader to either "sync" with wmp
> or simply copy the files to the card if drm is not involved.

June 6, 2005 11:52:11 PM

>> the advantage of syncing MP10 to MP10 is that conversions are taken
care of automatically, and you get playlist, album art and DRM support. <<

Might be interesting to run some experiments with a card reader.

While I don't have any DRM material, the tinkering that I did seemed to
show that wmp was "syncing" to memory cards... it handled the cards the
same as it did the device as well as installing the same hidden files on
the cards.

My experience shows that the slowest memory cards are over ten times as
fast to transfer and they do not have the "large file" sync issues that
the WCESCOMM connection does.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 3:26:54 AM

"Michael Moser" <michael-nospam.moser@nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote in
message news:u5G9x6qaFHA.1456@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> "KDE" <knott_me@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o ObxycqaFHA.1148@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> are you connecting via USB or Wifi ?? Media player will not detect
>> your device if connecting via Wifi.
>
> On the go via Bluetooth (i.e. a simulated serial port), at my desk via
> USB.

OK - I had been using BT to connect the two devices while experimenting
with this and obviously this was the reason. Using the USB craddle the
device did appear and with that things work as expected!

Pretty stupid behaviour - why does the physical onnection channel play a
role here? In both cases the devices set up an IP connection (address
192.168.55.xx), so why does the underlying physical connection then make
a difference? A typical MS solution - they never fully grasped the power
of abstraction offered by IP...

Michael
!