Slow saving of Excel Files on Server

Have a brand new Windows 2000 file server with 4 clients. The first time
after a client computer is booted up and I open an Excel file, any of them
(Program on client - Data file on server), it opens fine at normal speed.
When I make changes and save the file it takes 3-5 minutes before the hour
glass goes away and the client computer can be used again. If I open the
same file or a different one it again opens fine and if I save it, it saves
in normal time (2-5 seconds). If I reboot the client computer the first time
I try to save any Excel file I'm back to the delay. Any ideas??

In news:BD329C31-3F33-4AE4-8D80-5E42A5CB3B4B@microsoft.com,
Gaylon <Gaylon@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Have a brand new Windows 2000 file server with 4 clients. The first
> time after a client computer is booted up and I open an Excel file,
> any of them (Program on client - Data file on server), it opens fine
> at normal speed. When I make changes and save the file it takes 3-5
> minutes before the hour glass goes away and the client computer can
> be used again. If I open the same file or a different one it again
> opens fine and if I save it, it saves in normal time (2-5 seconds).
> If I reboot the client computer the first time I try to save any
> Excel file I'm back to the delay. Any ideas??

Is this happening only with Excel files?
What antivirus do you run on the server, and is the realtime scanning set to
scan inbound and outbound files?

TRENDING THREADS