Sign in with
Your question

Post your C2D temps? Water cooled particularly..

Last response: in Overclocking
March 10, 2007 9:34:38 AM

Hey all. I'm busy running some over clocking tests on my PC.

Right now i'm sitting at
x6800 @ 3.81 GHz
vcore 1.5 fsb core is 1.4
Tcase is 41 idle 50 load

water cooling setup:

MCP655 pump
thermochill 120.3
tygon tubing
swiftech mcres micro reservoir.

I'm really just interested in how my temps are comparing to ya'lls. I know there's a few stock temp guides out there, but i'm really only interested in the people that have overclocked.

Trying to get a good idea of how good the water cooling system is working.

Thanks for anyone who participates.
a b K Overclocking
March 12, 2007 3:03:12 AM

icewolf69, in order to make sense of responses to this topic, it's best to level the playing field by comparing "apples" to "apples". In the Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide, I use a consistent format in "Results" and "Variables" so that it's possible to analyze and compare temps between systems with differing hardware and settings:

Quote:
Tcase = Idle & Load
Tjunction = Idle & Load, Hottest Core

Ambient = Room Temp
Chipset = Model
C2D = Model
CPU Cooler = Model
Frequency = CPU Clock
Load = Test Program
Motherboard = Model
Vcore = CPU Voltage

I realize the Guide is written with respect to air cooling, but the principals remain the same, except that liquid cooling allows for higher Vcore while maintaining safe temps, which translates into higher OC. Please feel free to use this format. Hope this helps,

Comp 8)
March 12, 2007 6:56:18 AM

I have an E6600 overclocked to 3.2GHz via 8x by 400MHz at 1:1 ratio running at 1.4 volts on Orthos, CPU temp did not break 53C...
But, system crashed on Intel's TAT, so I raised vcore to 1.47 volts, and mem from 2.1 to 2.25volts, and now is stable under even TAT, but temps now peak out at 59C.
Cooling is a Zalman 9700 air cooler, and Zalman has the currently best air cooler imo.
Idle temps are around 34C, with a load max of 59C on an 800MHz OC, which is 33% over stock.
Related resources
March 13, 2007 2:14:59 AM

Temps seem fairly high for the quality of your water loop. What block are you using and is it mounted tight? What kind of ambient temps are we talking?

My loop with the same pump/tubing (Have an Apogee block) keeps my D805 @ 4.34 under 40C at load for hours on end. Hence my surprise at your temps.

You say "Tcase" temp is 41 idle 50 load. I am not sure where that number is coming from but I wouldn't think the core of the X6800 would ever be referenced to as "Tcase"

Look up Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool and download it. Most accurate temp program (generally) for Core 2 Duo CPUs.
March 13, 2007 9:04:47 AM

Quote:
Temps seem fairly high for the quality of your water loop. What block are you using and is it mounted tight? What kind of ambient temps are we talking?

My loop with the same pump/tubing (Have an Apogee block) keeps my D805 @ 4.34 under 40C at load for hours on end. Hence my surprise at your temps.

You say "Tcase" temp is 41 idle 50 load. I am not sure where that number is coming from but I wouldn't think the core of the X6800 would ever be referenced to as "Tcase"

Look up Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool and download it. Most accurate temp program (generally) for Core 2 Duo CPUs.

Yeah temps are fairly high, just because vcore is fairly high. stock it's 28c idle. And my water loop has twin 8800 GTX's that run fairly hot. I've reset the block a million times, can't get better temps.

If you read CompuTronix's guide for the C2D temps, you'll know what tcase and tjunction are.

And TAT won't run on my PC. I use speedfan/coretemp
March 13, 2007 9:10:48 AM

oh i didn't mention, using swiftech storm r2 cpu block

and @tool, i don't really know off the top of my head how hot/cool your CPU is stock, it could be naturally cooler than a C2D?

If it isn't it sucks for me hehe, i wouldn't know what's wrong with my loop, the storm slows flow down a bit, but not such a large problem. I've reseated that block so many times it's not funny.

hmm who knows
!