Windows 2000 as a BDC with SBS 4.5 as PDC

Can a Windowss 2000 server be a BDC for a SBS4.5 PDC. I'm taking my SBS
offline and I see the shortest path to get to Windows 2000 server would be to
bring one online as BDC and promoting it to PDC. We only require the
accounts and SQL 7.0 from the SBS.
8 answers Last reply
More about windows 2000

    There is no such thing as a Win 2k "BDC". They operate in multimaster mode
    except for the 5 FSMO roles.

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "DianeA" <DianeA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can a Windowss 2000 server be a BDC for a SBS4.5 PDC. I'm taking my SBS
    > offline and I see the shortest path to get to Windows 2000 server would be
    > bring one online as BDC and promoting it to PDC. We only require the
    > accounts and SQL 7.0 from the SBS.

    So if I bring up a NT4.0 BDC and promote it to PDC then upgrade it to Win
    2K.. What roll would it assume?

    I guess I need to do some more reading on Win 2K, but I assume none of the
    roles emulates the BDC?

    "Danny Sanders" wrote:

    > There is no such thing as a Win 2k "BDC". They operate in multimaster mode
    > except for the 5 FSMO roles.
    >
    > hth
    > DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
    >
    > "DianeA" <DianeA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Can a Windowss 2000 server be a BDC for a SBS4.5 PDC. I'm taking my SBS
    > > offline and I see the shortest path to get to Windows 2000 server would be
    > > bring one online as BDC and promoting it to PDC. We only require the
    > > accounts and SQL 7.0 from the SBS.

    I don't know the answer to this (I don't even know
    what it means) but take a step back and look at it
    .... haven't we become a jargon/acronym based society.

    DianeA wrote:

    > Can a Windowss 2000 server be a BDC for a SBS4.5 PDC. I'm taking my SBS
    > offline and I see the shortest path to get to Windows 2000 server would be to
    > bring one online as BDC and promoting it to PDC. We only require the
    > accounts and SQL 7.0 from the SBS.

    I see a lot of questions about Win200 in these NGs but Windowss is a new
    one on me. Guess I'll jump in my LTD & head out for a late BLT at KFC.
    Anasideaslawtoo.

    WoofWoof wrote:

    > I don't know the answer to this (I don't even know what it means) but
    > take a step back and look at it ... haven't we become a jargon/acronym
    > based society.
    >
    > DianeA wrote:
    >
    >> Can a Windowss 2000 server be a BDC for a SBS4.5 PDC. I'm taking my
    >> SBS offline and I see the shortest path to get to Windows 2000 server
    >> would be to bring one online as BDC and promoting it to PDC. We only
    >> require the accounts and SQL 7.0 from the SBS.

    > So if I bring up a NT4.0 BDC and promote it to PDC then upgrade it to Win
    > 2K.. What roll would it assume?

    This DC would assume all the roles. I'm not all that familiar with SBS. If
    in fact you can bring up a NT 4.0 BDC in a SBS domain as a BDC, then if it
    will let you promote it to PDC this would be the way to go. I'm not sure you
    can add a NT 4.0 BDC to a SBS domain or if you can promote it to PDC.

    See:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232039

    > I guess I need to do some more reading on Win 2K, but I assume none of the
    > roles emulates the BDC?

    Nope. No such animal.

    You should research upgrade vs. migrate. Each has it's limitations that you
    need to know about before you start.

    Start here:
    How to Set up ADMT for Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 Migration

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260871

    If upgrade is possible see:

    How to Upgrade Windows NT Server Version 4.0 to Windows 2000

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298107

    Requardless of which way you go DNS is a MUST.

    See:

    Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675

    Best Practices for DNS Client settings in Windows 2000 server and in Windows
    Server 2003

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825036

    How to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows 2000

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202

    > So if I bring up a NT4.0 BDC and promote it to PDC then upgrade it to Win
    > 2K.. What roll would it assume?
    >
    > I guess I need to do some more reading on Win 2K, but I assume none of the
    > roles emulates the BDC?
    >
    > "Danny Sanders" wrote:
    >
    >> There is no such thing as a Win 2k "BDC". They operate in multimaster
    >> mode
    >> except for the 5 FSMO roles.
    >>
    >> hth
    >> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
    >>
    >> "DianeA" <DianeA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Can a Windowss 2000 server be a BDC for a SBS4.5 PDC. I'm taking my
    >> > SBS
    >> > offline and I see the shortest path to get to Windows 2000 server would
    >> > be
    >> > bring one online as BDC and promoting it to PDC. We only require the
    >> > accounts and SQL 7.0 from the SBS.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Thanks Danny.

    I will bring my BDC as NT4.0, promote it to PDC and then migrate to Windows
    2000 then 2003 eventually. I've got my work cut out for me. It appears i
    need to carefully plan my FQDN before proceeding. Thanks for your links.

    And for those with problems with acronyms ;)
    http://www.acronyms.ch/

    "Danny Sanders" wrote:

    > > So if I bring up a NT4.0 BDC and promote it to PDC then upgrade it to Win
    > > 2K.. What roll would it assume?
    >
    > This DC would assume all the roles. I'm not all that familiar with SBS. If
    > in fact you can bring up a NT 4.0 BDC in a SBS domain as a BDC, then if it
    > will let you promote it to PDC this would be the way to go. I'm not sure you
    > can add a NT 4.0 BDC to a SBS domain or if you can promote it to PDC.
    >
    > See:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232039
    >

    > > I guess I need to do some more reading on Win 2K, but I assume none of the
    > > roles emulates the BDC?
    >
    > Nope. No such animal.
    >

    > You should research upgrade vs. migrate. Each has it's limitations that you
    > need to know about before you start.
    >
    > Start here:
    > How to Set up ADMT for Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 Migration
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260871
    >

    > If upgrade is possible see:
    >
    > How to Upgrade Windows NT Server Version 4.0 to Windows 2000
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298107
    >

    > Requardless of which way you go DNS is a MUST.
    >

    > See:
    >
    > Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675
    >

    > Best Practices for DNS Client settings in Windows 2000 server and in Windows
    > Server 2003
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825036
    >

    > How to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows 2000
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202
    >

    > hth
    >
    > DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
    >

    > "DianeA" <DianeA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > So if I bring up a NT4.0 BDC and promote it to PDC then upgrade it to Win
    > > 2K.. What roll would it assume?
    > >
    > > I guess I need to do some more reading on Win 2K, but I assume none of the
    > > roles emulates the BDC?
    > >
    > > "Danny Sanders" wrote:
    > >
    > >> There is no such thing as a Win 2k "BDC". They operate in multimaster
    > >> mode
    > >> except for the 5 FSMO roles.
    > >>
    > >> hth
    > >> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
    > >>
    > >> "DianeA" <DianeA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    It appears i
    > need to carefully plan my FQDN before proceeding. Thanks for your links.

    If you have a registered Internet domain say with a name of mycompany.com I
    would suggest ADdomain.mycompany.com.

    If not I would suggest mycompany.loc or mycompany.int

    > Thanks Danny.
    >
    > I will bring my BDC as NT4.0, promote it to PDC and then migrate to
    > Windows
    > 2000 then 2003 eventually. I've got my work cut out for me. It appears i
    > need to carefully plan my FQDN before proceeding. Thanks for your links.
    >
    > And for those with problems with acronyms ;)
    > http://www.acronyms.ch/
    >
    > "Danny Sanders" wrote:
    >
    >> > So if I bring up a NT4.0 BDC and promote it to PDC then upgrade it to
    >> > Win
    >> > 2K.. What roll would it assume?
    >>
    >> This DC would assume all the roles. I'm not all that familiar with SBS.
    >> If
    >> in fact you can bring up a NT 4.0 BDC in a SBS domain as a BDC, then if
    >> it
    >> will let you promote it to PDC this would be the way to go. I'm not sure
    >> you
    >> can add a NT 4.0 BDC to a SBS domain or if you can promote it to PDC.
    >>
    >> See:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232039
    >>

    >> > I guess I need to do some more reading on Win 2K, but I assume none of
    >> > the
    >> > roles emulates the BDC?
    >>
    >> Nope. No such animal.
    >>

    >> You should research upgrade vs. migrate. Each has it's limitations that
    >> you
    >> need to know about before you start.
    >>
    >> Start here:
    >> How to Set up ADMT for Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 Migration
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260871
    >>

    >> If upgrade is possible see:
    >>
    >> How to Upgrade Windows NT Server Version 4.0 to Windows 2000
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298107
    >>

    >> Requardless of which way you go DNS is a MUST.
    >>

    >> See:
    >>
    >> Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675
    >>

    >> Best Practices for DNS Client settings in Windows 2000 server and in
    >> Windows
    >> Server 2003
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825036
    >>

    >> How to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows 2000
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202
    >>

    >> hth
    >>
    >> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
    >>

    >> "DianeA" <DianeA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > So if I bring up a NT4.0 BDC and promote it to PDC then upgrade it to
    >> > Win
    >> > 2K.. What roll would it assume?
    >> >
    >> > I guess I need to do some more reading on Win 2K, but I assume none of
    >> > the
    >> > roles emulates the BDC?

  8. Diane,

    Could you please post your results?

    I'm looking to perform the same migration. SBS 4.5 with NT 4.0 to a new server with Windows 2003 Standard and a separate Exchange 2003 Box.

    Any help from anybody

    Thanks.

    LizWiz

Windows 2000 Microsoft Servers Windows