Having Weird Problems PLEASE HELP

TheLaughingMan

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I'm having some problems with the new built. Here are the list

1) It does this thing where it freezes for 1 or 2 secs then comes back while I'm playing a game.

2) When I have to use the reset button, it freezes at the post screen before it can detect the HDD. Then I have to power it down and power it up to get it working again.

3) When I enter Stand-By mode the fan gets really loud and stays loud until I get out of Stand-by mode, which it shouldn't.

4) This problem just happened recently. The computer crashed while I was watching something, and when I shut it down and turned it back on this problem appeared; The computer is slowing down at times now and you can hear and feel it slowing down at sporadic intervals during anything that I do. I can't pinpoint whats the cause of this. PLEASE HELP. Can't afford to re-format, I gone too far.

Should I install some softwares to check what hardware component is giving me the 4th problem?

Even if you only know solution to one problem, please post it. It'll help me a lot.

Mondoman

Splendid
The slowdowns could be due to components overheating. Get some CPU/GPU temp reporting software, then see what temps you get at idle (in Windows, but no programs running) and under stress (download and run Orthos).

A good first test to make sure your CPU/memory are working well is to download and run memtest86+ through at least a complete cycle.

What model CPU cooler are you using? Are you doing any overclocking? Do you have any exhaust or intake fans in the case?

PS - regarding the standby mode fan noise, you may be able to affect that by adjusting the CPU fan settings in the BIOS. If the BIOS is controlling the fan speed based on CPU temp, going into standby may cause problems. There might also be an updated BIOS for your MB that would fix that, so check with Asus.

flametank

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Problem 1 may be Video card driver related, do you have the latest drivers? Also could be a memory problem, try running Prime95's stress test or a similar test.
Problem 2 could be a loose connection on the Hard Drive, have had this happen to me once.
Problem 3 sounds like your BIOS needs to have a setting changed in regards to stand by mode.

Just my 2 cents, hopefully one suggestion of mine may help.

TheLaughingMan

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
The slowdowns could be due to components overheating. Get some CPU/GPU temp reporting software, then see what temps you get at idle (in Windows, but no programs running) and under stress (download and run Orthos).

A good first test to make sure your CPU/memory are working well is to download and run memtest86+ through at least a complete cycle.

What model CPU cooler are you using? Are you doing any overclocking? Do you have any exhaust or intake fans in the case?

PS - regarding the standby mode fan noise, you may be able to affect that by adjusting the CPU fan settings in the BIOS. If the BIOS is controlling the fan speed based on CPU temp, going into standby may cause problems. There might also be an updated BIOS for your MB that would fix that, so check with Asus.

I fix that problem already, it was the program that runs my wireless router, just went bonkers after crash and started slowing down, so I re-installed and viola, slow-downs gone. I got the hint when the phone rang and my computer just slowed down let crazy.

thanks for suggestions flametank, but I'm pretty sure problem two is something else. It only happens when I restart using reset button on my front panel. Freezes on Post screen, then I have to hold down power to shut it down then turn it back on and it goes through post smoothly.

Going to run memtest tonight and I'm gonna poke around in the bios to solve that stand-by problem. Will keep you guys updated.